What's the best yeast you've "stolen" from a bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never cultured out of a bottle, but a lot of people have done it and liked results from Bells, Rogue (Pacman yeast), and Heady Topper (Conan). Lots of cool things can be had if your into sours, too.

I am currently attempting to grow a pitchable amount of pacman yeast for a dead guy clone. Its my first one so I cant pick a favorite, im just hoping it works. I do plan to rinse it and brew my next few beers with it.

I've never cultured out of a bottle, but a lot of people have done it and liked results from Bells, Rogue (Pacman yeast), and Heady Topper (Conan). Lots of cool things can be had if your into sours, too.

I've actually always wanted to try using dregs from a sour, but wasn't sure if it was a good idea. I'll have to give that a try!

I cultured Dupont yeast from a bottle we drank last Christmas, and used it for a saison the next week. The yeast starter grew vigorously after just a couple days and produced a nice beer.

I've also made two batches from yeast I got from a bottle of Pranqster.

I wouldn't describe either one of those as "unexpected", but they were two yeasts that worked really well for me.

Homercidal said:
I've only ever stolen from Bells. Mostly because I wanted to brew a Two Hearted Clone.

Can you describe the process you used? This sounds like something I would like to try.

I used Bell's house yeast in a number of recipes (stout, cream ale, IPA) and also used their Winter White Belgian yeast in the SWMBO Slayer recipe, which turned out great.

Just pour dregs from three or four bottles into a pint of 1.020 wort, step it up with a pint of 1.040 wort a couple days later, then a quart of 1.040 wort.

Gotta love a process where step 1 is "Open and drink three Bell's beers."

I brewed a blond, racked off a gallon, and pitched some Orval dregs into it (so I think that technically counts based on your question), and then forgot about it while the summer garden got in the way. Flash forward five months or so, when I remembered that gallon of beer. The vodka in the airlock had evaporated, so I was ready for it to taste like bad cooking sherry. To my delight and surprise, it tasted . . . kind of like Orval! Added some Styrian pellets for a week long dry hop, bottled, and letting it sit for another few months.

As for primary strains, the one that I have successfully captured and grown is Pacman- all you need is a bomber or two and some wort, and the stuff should take off no problem.

Can you describe the process you used? This sounds like something I would like to try.

Same as JonM's method. I pour a glass of Bells beer, saving the last bit with the yeast in the bottle and then I recap and put in the fridge. After I about 4 of them I build a light starter and pour the yeast into it on a stirplate.

You *could* have the wort ready and just pour the yeast in each time you drink a bottle. Or you could drink 4 beers in one shot and be done with it... :cross:

FYI it generally takes a couple of days to really get going. The next step up with 1.030-1.040 wort goes much faster.

Hmm.. I always assumed most bigger name craft brews were filtered. Other than once in awhile it says on the bottle that it is not and may contain some yeast. What do i know! I may also have a new experiment underway soon.

I made a starter out of a bottle of Chimay red and used it for a Belgian Golden & Dubbel. Both came out real nice. Still have two jars of slurry in my yeast fridge.

I was at Mortons last weekend and had a bottle of Orval. I was going to keep the bottle and try to culture some but the wife nixed the idea. Evidently taking an empty beer bottle from a restaurant is 'trashy'.

As if you needed an excuse to go out and buy some Orval from the store! If you are looking for Brett, I have also had luck with Reyon Vert dregs as a secondary strain. Either beer is a delight to drink.

I, as many others have, successfully harvested Alchemists' conan yeast from a single can of Heady Topper. Have done two 5g batches with it so far.. I used various sized Erlenmeyer flasks and a homemade stir plate to grow.

I too was lucky enough to harvest and grow some conan from a can of heady topper. I've used it in an IPA and an American Wheat. The yeast works hard and fast.

I've also harvested the wit yeast from a few bottles of Allagash White. That was delicious. I need to make another batch as the yeast is about 9 months old now (washed after that batch).

Anything from a Jolly Pumpkin bottle. That cocktail of funky goodness is always incredibly potent.

I've cultured plenty of others, but that ends up being the one I go back to.

This summer, I cultured the dregs of Ommegang Hennepin. It was a 22oz, and it took a month to get up to enough to make a gallon. Still carving, but at bottling, it tasted barnyardy like a said on should, with a lot of orange. I used 2-row base and a little wheat. Saaz hops and fresh orange peel.

After that, I have about a pint of yeast in a jar.

I, as many others have, successfully harvested Alchemists' conan yeast from a single can of Heady Topper. Have done two 5g batches with it so far.. I used various sized Erlenmeyer flasks and a homemade stir plate to grow.

What's Conan yeast like? I have never found Heady Topper for sale anywhere where I live, so I have no idea what it tastes like!

Back