What's The Best Winter Beer To Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dongemus

Reaction score
I live in the mitten, Michigan, the Winter Wonderland. My next batch will be brewed about Dec 1, which means it will be ready about mid-January. I am not sure what to brew next. What is best on a cold January night? Please share your favorites and I'll compile the list here.

Thanks! :mug:

A list of possibilities that have been suggested below...

1. Wee Heavy (Strong Scotch Ale in BJCP terms)
  2. Massive Russian Imperial Stout
  3. Belgian Dark Strong
  4. Barleywine
  5. a good robust porter about 1065 down 1017 (ale, lager, vanilla, chocolate, winter spices, pumpkin, peppers)

I just kegged a Wee Heavy (Strong Scotch Ale in BJCP terms) that I bulk aged for six months. Its a big, malty beer, made for sipping on a cold winter's night.

Wee-Heavy, massive RIS, Belgian Dark Strong, Barleywine, etc.

All of these unfortunately will taste much better next winter than this one. I'm trying to add one of these into the pipeline every year and then take it easy on consumption to see how they age.

I like a good robust porter about 1065 down 1017. You can always play with this style, ale, lager, vanilla, chocolate, winter spices, pumpkin, peppers etc. and you probably wont be disappointed

Going to make a coconut porter, we'll see how it goes.

I set an alarm in my phone to make a big winter beer in July so it will be ready for next winter ;)

A brown ale or basic stout should be ready to go within a couple months.

I'm not a big fan of huge beers, even during winter. I'd much prefer something a bit more balanced, but with all the roasty and toasty flavors we all know and love.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I have some stout, porter, and a brown ale already in the pipeline. I was wondering if there was a style I didn't know about or was forgetting about that is good in winter.

Commercially, I have been enjoying New Belgium 1554 lately. It is like you described... roasty but balanced.

I also saw Sam Adams Winter Wheat is coming out. Anyone ever make a winter wheat? Or are there any other beers that are good for winter drinking?

Back