What's the best book on how to make mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverDie

Reaction score
Most people would probably say that John Palmer's book, "How to Brew," is probably the best book on how to brew beer. What would be the equivalent book on how to make mead?

It seems as though just about everyone has a different opinion about the merits degassing mead and the best procedure for doing so. Therefore, I'd like to read what the leading authority has to say about it, among other things.

Ken Schramm’s Book was the first authority on mead, but even he will tell you it’s dated now.

The most current resource right now isn’t a book, but the GotMead Podcast involving Ryan Carlson. While he can be direct, he was runner up for mead maker of the year and is very scientific about his approach (I may have had some influence on that). While the podcast can be long, there is a lot of good information there.

As far as a current practice book, I’m writing one now. You can always ask me as well.

As far as a current practice book, I’m writing one now. You can always ask me as well.

Great! I've got 3 questions then:

1. The OP on this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...during-mead-fermentation.662912/#post-8530987

2. What is currently the best SNAP for doing sweet meads? Is it TOSNA? I've tried looking at your prior recommendations, but it seems they have been changing over time.

3. If doing a high gravity sweet mead, is it better to add the honey in steps, and if so, what's the best protocol for that? Also, how would that best intertwine with the SNAP?

As Bray said above, the podcasts at GotMead are the current best practices. Mead making protocols have changed significantly over the last few years, and Ryan Carlson (Squatchy) at GotMead is one of the driving forces behind bringing that to the mainstream. It can be a lot to digest, the podcasts are a couple hours each, but worth while to the serious mead maker.

Ryan is doing a make-along right now at GotMead that I signed up to participate in. Up till now I've only made 1 gallon batches because I don't really know what I'm doing yet and honey can be expensive. With his guidance I'm confident that my first 5 gallon batch will be a success.

Bray's BOMM is also pretty much a can't-fail way to make meads. He's already done the research and experiments and what's published on his web site simply works.

I once made a sweet cysor in just 31 hours using wyeast Sweet Mead yeast, and it tasted mighty fine to me. Thanks to TILT, I have a record of it:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1ym8t6i2HXL5ZjS53S2w-bcUH4/edit#gid=189348009
I didn't de-gass, and I didn't do SNAP. Not sure what I did right that time, but at least so far I haven't been able to repeat the magic of that remarkably fast transformation. I'd like to though!

I once made a sweet cysor in just 31 hours using wyeast Sweet Mead yeast, and it tasted mighty fine to me. Thanks to TILT, I have a record of it:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1ym8t6i2HXL5ZjS53S2w-bcUH4/edit#gid=189348009
I didn't de-gass, and I didn't do SNAP. Not sure what I did right that time, but at least so far I haven't been able to repeat the magic of that remarkably fast transformation. I'd like to though!

My first mead was like this. The next 15 sucked. After that, I learned to use science to always insure my mead was stellar.

Great! I've got 3 questions then:

1. The OP on this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...during-mead-fermentation.662912/#post-8530987

2. What is currently the best SNAP for doing sweet meads? Is it TOSNA? I've tried looking at your prior recommendations, but it seems they have been changing over time.

3. If doing a high gravity sweet mead, is it better to add the honey in steps, and if so, what's the best protocol for that? Also, how would that best intertwine with the SNAP?

1. How important is degassing? This really depends on your definition:

Aerating vs Degassing vs Stirring

Aerating or oxygenating would be to blow O2 through a tube in order to encourage yeast reproduction early in the ferment. You would not want to do this later in the ferment as you will oxidize your mead. I’ve heard people swear it improves the mead, but I’ve never needed it because I don’t underpitch my yeast. When I tried it with Wyeast 1388, I didn’t taste a difference. Perhaps other yeast would require this to a greater extent. Ryan Carlson swears by it.

Degassing is to put the entire carboy under vacuum to remove all CO2. This is generally done after the ferment is finished to speed clearing. CO2 trapped in solution can prevent yeast from settling to the bottom. Basically, CO2 bubble flying out of solution stir up yeast sediment. This is also why folks who never stir or rack their mead complain it takes forever to clear.

Stirring is really what we mean when we say degassing/aerating. The idea here is to rouse the yeast from the bottom in the carboy so that it doesn’t get buried, lazy, and give up on making alcohol. At the same time, this removes CO2 from the must and adds some oxygen to encourage yeast health. It’s not as complete as true degassing or aeration, but good enough to improve the overall health of the ferment.

How important is this? Well, if you want to clear fast and hit your ABV max, it’s very important. Not to mention, this is also a sort of sur lies approach that can improve the body of your mead. Basically, you can lose not doing it and you can only win doing it.

2. Best SNA for sweet mead? This is a misguided question at best. If you want a tasty sweet mead, then you need a healthy ferment lacking fusel production. Any SNA that keeps the yeast happy will make a decent sweet mead; however, what you are really asking is “How do I make a knock it out of the park sweet mead?”. That is a much more complicated question.

You must match yeast, honey, tannin, tart, and method (SNA) to accomplish this. For example, let’s say you want to make a meadowfoam sweet mead. Meadowfoam honey tastes like marshmallows. You want to do everything possible to enhance that wonderful flavor. In this case, you don’t want yeast esters to muddle the flavor so use a very clean yeast. Wyeast 1388 would be a very neutral yeast. Since it’s a liquid yeast, use my SNA that was developed specifically for liquid yeast: https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Liquid-yeast-SNA/ If you used a dried neutral yeast such as EC1118, then TOSNA would be the go to SNA. In short, the current best mead making practice is a Fermaid O based SNA that avoids DAP altogether. The mead ferments more consistently with better aromatic components.

At this point, you have a clean sweet mead. Now you need balance. First, age on American medium plus oak to add tannins for body and vanillin to enhance the marshmallow character. Barrels are best, then xoakers/staves, then cubes/spirals. F**k chips. Too one dimensional. Blunt, but I state the truth.

Now, you taste and decide. You were tasting all along, but now it’s “How do I improve further and not screw it up?” Maybe some acidity is needed. Tartaric, malic or citrus? Do I need more vanilla (add vanilla bean)? The possibilities are endless and largely depend on your personal taste and imagination.

3. Best way to do sweet mead. Upfront honey versus step feeding.

This depends on goals. There are 3 ways to make a sweet mead. I’ll try to give pros and cons.

A. Upfront honey or depending on yeast ABV tolerance. How does this work? Example: Wyeast 1388 will eat through 120 points from my previous experience. I want a sweet mead so I’ll add honey to 1.140 for a finish at 1.020. Reality? It’s more like 1.020 plus or minus .010. Sometimes yeast crap out, sometimes they put on supersuits. It’s a bit variable because yeast don’t read packaging. Yeast don’t hit as high ABV this way compared to step feeding. Depending on your goals, this can be good or bad (Hint: it’s good). It’s easy to do upfront additions.

B. Step feeding. This is the approach to take for max ABV potential in a yeast. You can push a classical 16% yeast to 20% with this method. If you are a new mead maker, it sounds really appealing. You will find however that exceeding 15% ABV starts to add a burn independent from fusels. This is pure alcohol burn. There are ways to reduce it (oak aging for example), but it will alway be present and you will need to hide it for discerning palettes. Not an easy thing early in your hobby. If your goal is knocking yourself on your ass, go for it. If your goal is to win medals, not the route to go. Also, it’s a pain to add honey over several weeks.

C. Ferment dry to desired ABV, cold crash, rack, stabilize, backsweeten to desired sweetness. The ultimate calculated scientific approach. This is the best way for things to go exactly as planned because it can’t go any other way. This is how you go commercial. Cons? While I don’t really care, some folks are sensitive about using “chemicals”. Never mind that everything is a a chemical including the most toxic one we deal with: alcohol. NOTE: This is not a dig at those with legitimate allergies. Only trendy fakers.

Last edited:

Aerating or oxygenating would be to blow O2 through a tube in order to encourage yeast reproduction early in the ferment. You would not want to do this later in the ferment as you will oxidize your mead. I’ve heard people swear it improves the mead, but I’ve never needed it because I don’t underpitch my yeast. When I tried it with Wyeast 1388, I didn’t taste a difference. Perhaps other yeast would require this to a greater extent. Ryan Carlson swears by it.

Degassing is to put the entire carboy under vacuum to remove all CO2. This is generally done after the ferment is finished to speed clearing. CO2 trapped in solution can prevent yeast from settling to the bottom. Basically, CO2 bubble flying out of solution stir up yeast sediment. This is also why folks who never stir or rack their mead complain it takes forever to clear.

Stirring is really what we mean when we say degassing/aerating. The idea here is to rouse the yeast from the bottom in the carboy so that it doesn’t get buried, lazy, and give up on making alcohol. At the same time, this removes CO2 from the must and adds some oxygen to encourage yeast health. It’s not as complete as true degassing or aeration, but good enough to improve the overall health of the ferment.

How important is this? Well, if you want to clear fast and hit your ABV max, it’s very important. Not to mention, this is also a sort of sur lies approach that can improve the body of your mead. Basically, you can lose not doing it and you can only win doing it.

2. Best SNA for sweet mead? This is a misguided question at best. If you want a tasty sweet mead, then you need a healthy ferment lacking fusel production. Any SNA that keeps the yeast happy will make a decent sweet mead; however, what you are really asking is “How do I make a knock it out of the park sweet mead?”. That is a much more complicated question.

You must match yeast, honey, tannin, tart, and method (SNA) to accomplish this. For example, let’s say you want to make a meadowfoam sweet mead. Meadowfoam honey tastes like marshmallows. You want to do everything possible to enhance that wonderful flavor. In this case, you don’t want yeast esters to muddle the flavor so use a very clean yeast. Wyeast 1388 would be a very neutral yeast. Since it’s a liquid yeast, use my SNA that was developed specifically for liquid yeast: https://denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Liquid-yeast-SNA/ If you used a dried neutral yeast such as EC1118, then TOSNA would be the go to SNA. In short, the current best mead making practice is a Fermaid O based SNA that avoids DAP altogether. The mead ferments more consistently with better aromatic components.

At this point, you have a clean sweet mead. Now you need balance. First, age on American medium plus oak to add tannins for body and vanillin to enhance the marshmallow character. Barrels are best, then xoakers/staves, then cubes/spirals. F**k chips. Too one dimensional. Blunt, but I state the truth.

Now, you taste and decide. You were tasting all along, but now it’s “How do I improve further and not screw it up?” Maybe some acidity is needed. Tartaric, malic or citrus? Do I need more vanilla (add vanilla bean)? The possibilities are endless and largely depend on your personal taste and imagination.

This depends on goals. There are 3 ways to make a sweet mead. I’ll try to give pros and cons.

A. Upfront honey or depending on yeast ABV tolerance. How does this work? Example: Wyeast 1388 will eat through 120 points from my previous experience. I want a sweet mead so I’ll add honey to 1.140 for a finish at 1.020. Reality? It’s more like 1.020 plus or minus .010. Sometimes yeast crap out, sometimes they put on supersuits. It’s a bit variable because yeast don’t read packaging. Yeast don’t hit as high ABV this way compared to step feeding. Depending on your goals, this can be good or bad (Hint: it’s good). It’s easy to do upfront additions.

B. Step feeding. This is the approach to take for max ABV potential in a yeast. You can push a classical 16% yeast to 20% with this method. If you are a new mead maker, it sounds really appealing. You will find however that exceeding 15% ABV starts to add a burn independent from fusels. This is pure alcohol burn. There are ways to reduce it (oak aging for example), but it will alway be present and you will need to hide it for discerning palettes. Not an easy thing early in your hobby. If your goal is knocking yourself on your ass, go for it. If your goal is to win medals, not the route to go. Also, it’s a pain to add honey over several weeks.

C. Ferment dry to desired ABV, cold crash, rack, stabilize, backsweeten to desired sweetness. The ultimate calculated scientific approach. This is the best way for things to go exactly as planned because it can’t go any other way. This is how you go commercial. Cons? While I don’t really care, some folks are sensitive about using “chemicals”. Never mind that everything is a a chemical including the most toxic one we deal with: alcohol. NOTE: This is not a dig at those with legitimate allergies. Only trendy fakers.

Seems like there's a fourth option that you didn't enumerate: it would be like "C", except rather than "ferment to dry", I would halt the fermentation once it drops to the target SG by a combination of chemicals and cold crashing. In this case, there'd be no need to backsweeten, because it's already at the target SG, and also I wouldn't waste time waiting for the yeast to fully ferment dry.

Would this work? Or is it just too hard to successfully terminate an active fermentation?

Seems like there's a fourth option that you didn't enumerate: it would be like "C", except rather than "ferment to dry", I would halt the fermentation once it drops to the target SG by a combination of chemicals and cold crashing. In this case, there'd be no need to backsweeten, because it's already at the target SG, and also I wouldn't waste time waiting for the yeast to fully ferment dry.

Would this work? Or is it just too hard to successfully terminate an active fermentation?

Wouldn't adding enough pure ethanol stop even an active fermentation in its tracks? i.e. simply by exceeding the ABV tolerance of the yeast?

Probably. But it wouldn't be mead any more.
What would it be then? I was thinking it could be approached a lot like method A, except that rather than there being some variability in sweetness, there would just be a some variability in the amount of ABV. I'm guessing you wouldn't taste the difference in alcohol as much as you would the difference in sweetness. And it would be more true to real historical mead, without the artificial modern stabilizers in it that are now so ubiquitous.

In terms of method, maybe use Everclear as the nearly pure ethanol?

Anyone tried this approach?

Last edited:
Fortified mead? Is there such a thing? The alcohol in mead should come from honey, not from a bottle. JMO, of course.

I guess it depends on what your intentions are. I've learned that a traditional mead should be no more than 11% ABV. Otherwise the alcohol overpowers the aroma and fine points of the honey. It also takes a lot longer to age and mellow out. Even ale yeasts will get there, so the accepted practice is to ferment dry and stabilize.

Or not... I made a clover traditional using Bray's BOMM recipe that didn't need back-sweetening at all. Everybody liked it, even people who normally go for sweet wines. But killing yeast with Everclear isn't my idea of a mead. YMMV.

I do agree that too high an ABV is not good, for the reasons you said, and finding an appropriate yeast with a low enough ABV tolerance for this approach to work might be the sticking point. Whitbread yeast allegedly has 10% ABV tolerance. Maybe that could work, but just barely.

Last edited:
I guess you've talked me out of it. I'll wait for someone else to find a yeast that will die on cue.

I have an idea for an experiment that I've been wanting to try, taking a cue from the cider world.

There's a style of craft cider making where they ferment cold using wine yeast and just enough nutrient to prevent sulfur problems. Rack off the lees at about 50% gravity to reduce the yeast biomass and slow the ferment way down. Then rack again toward the end of the ferment to slow it some more. The process takes 10 months to complete and leaves a cider with some residual sweetness behind.

I wonder if the same protocol could be used with mead to get a yeast like WYEAST 4184 to quit right at its rated 11% instead of going dry. This would make modern mead makers cringe, basically violating the currently accepted practices.. but it'd be worth a shot in a small batch just to test the theory.

Yes, I do this with some of my meads, but it’s really variable where it stops. Chemicals can’t stop an active fermentation. Cold crashing can, but it could still drop 5-15 points before to cold stuns the yeast.

After, you have to continue to cold crash until clear, rack, and add stabilizing chemicals to prevent refermentation. Or keg and keep cold. I do this with short meads I want carbonated. I just cold crash when it’s 5 points above what I want.

Yes, I do this with some of my meads, but it’s really variable where it stops. Chemicals can’t stop an active fermentation. Cold crashing can, but it could still drop 5-15 points before to cold stuns the yeast.

After, you have to continue to cold crash until clear, rack, and add stabilizing chemicals to prevent refermentation. Or keg and keep cold. I do this with short meads I want carbonated. I just cold crash when it’s 5 points above what I want.
Well, this was timely. I know from previous TILT logs that cooling a must in the refrigerator a takes surprisingly long time. Maybe this is where floating a vessel in an ice bath provides a faster drop and therefore stuns the yeast more.

Is there anything that can drop it even faster? Like one of those immersion chillers? That's some serious kit though.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to trying Method C, because then I can use dry yeast, which takes far less of my time than liquid yeast.

What are your favorite dry yeasts for mead?

OK, a little research done, and port is a model for how to get sweet wine by terminating fermentation early (while there's still sugar left in the wine) by introducing brandy as the fermentation terminator.

According to wikipedia, most ports are 19-20% alcohol, so probably the same would hold for a sweet, fortified, stabilized mead. Is there such a thing already on the market?

On the other hand, I guess there would be no point to it, aside from saving time? I'm supposing it would be the same result as from spoon feeding more and more honey to yeast until they throw in the towel, and then some more for the sweetness.

Last edited:
Yes, fortifying with spirits will stop the yeast. It also adds spirit flavor, makes it alcohol hot, and takes time to integrate (does not save time). Unless you have a specific recipe reason, I would not suggest using this method.

Last edited:
Everything. It covers the history, culture, and recipes for basic mead making and is very entertaining. It's also available on amazon in hard copy or for kindle

You beat me to it. I was about to say that what you are describing is exactly how port wines are made. I'm just a week into making a pyment/port wine/mead (not sure what to call it exactly) following a recipe posted by JD Webb. Wine grape concentrates, honey, water, French oak, cherries, blackberries and eventually cognac. It had a ridiculous starting OG (almost 1.170) and it is going to keep getting fed honey 3# at a time until it craps out and THEN getting blended with 750 ml of cognac once it comes off the fruit. It'll be pushing 20% ABV by then and I don't care what kind of monster yeast you use, that should kill it. Granted, it's going to have to sit for a year before I even think about bottling it, but if it tastes anywhere near as good as my office smells, it'll be worth the wait.

Thanks mate, this clarifies the questions I had in the other thread. This answer should be pinned to the top of the forum in a separate thread.

I suppose another advantage to method C is that I can use less expensive honey for the primary ferment where all 100% of the honey gets consumed by the yeast and then after stabilizing backweeten with better quality honey, to maximize the flavor.

Everything. It covers the history, culture, and recipes for basic mead making and is very entertaining. It's also available on amazon in hard copy or for kindle

Hmm.. I skimmed it on amazon, and looks a little too authentic for me. I don't see myself building a fire out of wood in the forest so I can boil some wort.

I think I'll save that for the post-apocalypse. ;)

Last edited:
Hmm.. I skimmed it on amazon, and looks a little too authentic for me. I don't see myself building a fire out of wood in the forest so I can boil some wort.

I think I'll save that for the post-apocalypse. ;)
At least train it once or twice before you'll actually need these skills :D

356e1c34c5f181e1d4d1d0d9975e5a17.jpg

Last edited:

I have been a big fan of what I like to call the "Shake the $*!T out of it" method of degassing. My thought on this would be that it really is more pure degassing, as there should be little to no oxygen in the headspace after fermentation becomes active. I would say as well, this certainly rouses the yeast.

I oxygenate at the start of fermentation using pure oxygen and a diffusing stone, and I do believe this is an extremely important part of fermentation management. My understanding has been, however, that oxygen after the initial aerobic yeast metabolism and cell division, oxygen is not necessary, and may even be detrimental.

Here's my question though, and it comes from your statement regarding "adds some oxygen to encourage yeast health:" Is there some actual *need* for the yeast to have access to oxygen after the initial stages of fermentation?

I have been a big fan of what I like to call the "Shake the $*!T out of it" method of degassing. My thought on this would be that it really is more pure degassing, as there should be little to no oxygen in the headspace after fermentation becomes active. I would say as well, this certainly rouses the yeast.

I oxygenate at the start of fermentation using pure oxygen and a diffusing stone, and I do believe this is an extremely important part of fermentation management. My understanding has been, however, that oxygen after the initial aerobic yeast metabolism and cell division, oxygen is not necessary, and may even be detrimental.

Here's my question though, and it comes from your statement regarding "adds some oxygen to encourage yeast health:" Is there some actual *need* for the yeast to have access to oxygen after the initial stages of fermentation?

I haven't experimented much with the "Shake the $*!T out of it" method, but how do totally avoid creating a geyser when you "Shake the $*!T out of it"? Is it a multi-step shake, starting with a little shake and then building up to "Shake the $*!T out of it"?

I haven't experimented much with the "Shake the $*!T out of it" method, but how do totally avoid creating a geyser when you "Shake the $*!T out of it"? Is it a multi-step shake, starting with a little shake and then building up to "Shake the $*!T out of it"?

Yeah, that's a risk...exactly as you say, I do indeed build up to it. However, on top of it, I also use a blow off tube for all my fermentations, so even if I gyser a bit, it's contained...

Back