What's th best plate chiller out there right now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deckers_Beers

Reaction score
I'm ready to buy a plate chiller now, & if I have to spend $300 for the best one I'm ok with that. Is Blichmann the best way to go?

I'm also planning on buying a brewmagic system in the near future, but I'd like to do a few more brews before I get that purchased, up, & running. I know you can purchase that system with a plate chiller, but I read somewhere that they're chiller kinda sucks. Anyone have any experience with that?

As always, thanks for the help!

There are dependencies on batch size, but I do 10 gallon batches, and use the DudaDiesel "long 30" pc. The thing is amazing.
I believe Duda has a chart comparing performance of various pcs. Iirc the Blichmann was near the bottom...

Cheers!

For the same surface area, longer with fewer plates is more efficient than shorter with more plates. Not sure about the width aspect, but I expect similar.

For the price of a Blichmann you can get a longer and wider one from Duda Diesel, with more surface area.

But are you sure a plate chiller is best for you?
You'd need good filtering before the wort enters the chiller to prevent clogging.

as others have already hinted the blichmann chiller is outperformed by even the 20 plate $80-90 duda chiller which is also less likely to plug up. it Is not a very good value and its twisted path design makes it clog even easier than other plate chillers making it the #1 contributor in giving home brewing plate chillers a bad name next to poor filtering practices.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/files/beerwortchart.pdf

You do want to have a hop spider or bag your hops or you will be one of the many coming here asking why your chiller is plugging with hops... They are not designed to pump solids through them only liquid. that said I use a hop spider and have never had any issues with my duda chiller in over 4 years of use... I chill to pitching temp in one pass.

Good points to consider. I'd even suggest looking into a multi-stage IC chiller like Jaded. They don't have a clog potential, are easier to clean, and have a comparable chill time.

I'm thinking about re-fitting my BK with a different layout just to make it easier to fit an IC in there. I'd custom build a Jaded style IC. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

Nothing wrong with a PC or CFC, but after using a CFC for many years I'm still not entirely satisfied with it.

I've got a Blichmann plate chiller. The Blichmann is prone to clogging, but I've run back-to-back 10g IPA through it without clogging (it does slow down though). It is super fast at cooling! I've never used any other brand of plate chiller, so I can't compare.

I also have a Jaded Cyclone coaxial CFC. I prefer this coaxial type of CFC for many reasons, though it's a little slower than the plate chiller. Hops get tossed into the fermentor - no problem. I don't use the Blich anymore.

Deckers,

What is your water temperature, water flowrate, and what pitching temp are you trying to get down to?

Chances are, depending on your batch size, you only need to spend $90-$145 on the chiller, save the rest for a good hops spider

You do want to have a hop spider or bag your hops or you will be one of the many coming here asking why your chiller is plugging with hops... They are not designed to pump solids through them only liquid. that said I use a hop spider and have never had any issues with my duda chiller in over 4 years of use... I chill to pitching temp in one pass.

I do use a bag for all of my hops, & hand-whirlpool every brew, so I'm not OVERLY concerned with clogging. & that's what I'm hoping to do, chill in one pass!!! I'll definitely look into the Duda chillers, thanks! :mug:

Deckers,

What is your water temperature, water flowrate, and what pitching temp are you trying to get down to?

Chances are, depending on your batch size, you only need to spend $90-$145 on the chiller, save the rest for a good hops spider

I just moved up to Seattle from LA & haven't had a chance to brew at the new house yet, so I'm not positive on the temp (but probably in the 50's, if not lower) or flowrate (hose bib in back is SLOW, but was thinking of getting a pump as well). In terms of pitching temp, I normally like to get down to the mid to low 60's. I'm doing 5-10 gallon batches, but after I get the Brewmagic system, I'll be going up to 15, max. Obviously I'd like to purchase a chiller now that will work for the future system.

I'll definitely check out the DudaDiesel website, but any specific recommendations? Thanks for the help! :mug:

it's looking like the B3-36A might be the best way to go...

https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=+wort++chiller&i=beerchillers

Not sure, but I think my friend has the 30-plate B3-32A with the 1" male NPT stubs. I really liked that width, it was fast as heck, and no clogging after running 10 gallons of a whirlpooled NEIPA through it, with no other filter over the exit port. His well water is ice cold, that helps.

I like the 4x NPT fittings. Stick male camlocks on them and it's easy to isolate from the system for cleaning.

I've been using what I think is the 30 plate B3-12A with 4x 1/2" male NPT for the past 8 years. 5 gallons mostly. Have had a few clogs from bad filtering, that were successfully blown out with some good water pressure/volume.

I just moved up to Seattle from LA & haven't had a chance to brew at the new house yet, so I'm not positive on the temp (but probably in the 50's, if not lower) or flowrate (hose bib in back is SLOW, but was thinking of getting a pump as well). In terms of pitching temp, I normally like to get down to the mid to low 60's. I'm doing 5-10 gallon batches, but after I get the Brewmagic system, I'll be going up to 15, max. Obviously I'd like to purchase a chiller now that will work for the future system.

I'll definitely check out the DudaDiesel website, but any specific recommendations? Thanks for the help! :mug:

So for my calculations, I am assuming your water temp to be 52f, as that is what google tells me it should be for Seattle. This will certainly change depending on the season (though you being on the coast it shouldn't fluctuate too much).

You mentioned low to mid 60's as your pitching, so I am just using 62f for all of these numbers, to keep it simple.

You mentioned slow water, so I am guessing 2-5 gpm. Ill run a set of best case numbers at 5 gpm, and then some worst case numbers at 2gpm.

With 5gpm water:
36a-20, $145 - 4 min 21 s to chill 10 gallons, using 22gal of water
23a-20, $99 - 6 min 15 s to chill 10 gallons, using 31.25 gal of water
12a-20, $60 - 12 min 30 s to chill 10 gallons, using 62.5 gal of water

With 2gpm water:
36a-20, $145 - 8 min even to chill 10 gallons, using 16 gal of water
23a-20, $99 - 10 min 38 s to chill 10 gallons, using 21.25 gal of water
12a-20, $60 - 18 min 52 s to chill 10 gallons, using 38 gal of water

These numbers are linear with batch size - that is, if it takes 8 min exact for 10 gallons, it will take 4 min for 5 gallons, 12 min for 15.

So really it all comes down to what your water flow actually is, and how much you want to spend up front vs time cost vs water cost. The one thing I can say for sure is do not get anything with more plates than 20. With your low water flow, you'll run into pooling issues that will cost efficiency.

I have the 23A which works well for me.. I dont use it much in the summer months but that will be changing now that im opening a microbrewery... of course ill be going with a bigger chiller too so..

Yeah well it's the cheapest I've seen for a plate chiller that you can disassemble for cleaning. But it's still way bigger than I need for my scale of brewing...I'm wondering if someone can get these with say 10 plates for a lot less...

I have a Blichmann that I bought as part of a package deal so I paid well below retail for it. I cooled a 5 gallon batch from 212 to 75 in 12 minutes using ambient temperature water. I'm not sure that I'd spend two bills for one but DAMN it's better than a copper coil and way less complicated.

Yeah well it's the cheapest I've seen for a plate chiller that you can disassemble for cleaning. But it's still way bigger than I need for my scale of brewing...I'm wondering if someone can get these with say 10 plates for a lot less...

shirron makes a 10 plate long chiller that my local hb store sells for like $100... That said its the same size as the 20 plate duda I bought for $80...

Has anybody tried one of these?

https://www.brewmagic.com/products/plate-pro-sanitary-wort-chiller/

Bobby - any chance you're looking into building these?

I don't think I need 40 plates for something this size and for 12 gals ... and $750 is a jaw dropper.

Not sure if Bobby over at Brew Hardware has ever considered making these, but I know here at Duda we've talked about it. About 4-5 years ago we looked into it; we would've been able to knock that $750 down to about $520. But most of that cost is in it being able to be disassembled - the actual performance is still less than our $170 unit.

Eventually we decided that unless you were talking about brewing 5-10 bbl per day and thus needing to clean constantly just in case, it just didn't feel to us like it was worth the price.

Ive been looking at these larger "pro series" style chillers for a micro startup and was just quoted like 720 for one yesterday from china.. I may just go with a 36a

Back