What's next on your Brewgenda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tactical-Brewer

Reaction score
Well, like most folks my mind races, thinking about the next beer I want to sip on, or the beer I want as a staple in my fridge.

So my question is, what's next on your Brewgenda?

Mine will probably go something like this;

2.5 gallon batch of New Castle brown ale clone from the recipe on here

And a 2.5 gallon chocolate mocha stout I plan to leave conditioning until next fall (just not a stout drinker in warmer months).

And as spring approaches, I want to find a nice, refreshing brew I can drink a lot of, on a hot summer day, and not have a heavy stomach feel. (If that makes sense.)

If I succeed at the NC Brown Ale, that'll be a staple and I'll probably use that as my platform to jump into my 5 gallon batches and drink year round. I also can't wait to try Yooper's dead guy ale as that's one of my fav's. I also want to try to make an Old Speckled Hen clone as that too was a delicious beer that I've only had the pleasure of drinking a few times.

Now, as a messenger of Homebrewing, and trying to find a brew that my "Natty Light" or Bud light drinking buddies could grasp and appreciate, I will probably try to find something on their level as well. I'm open for suggestions on that, if you have any ideas, feel free to pm me and let me know. I'm trying to set up a "brew day" with some buddies but it's hard to find friends who enjoy an actual "beer" as opposed to carbed water.

Cheers folks!
JK

I'll probably do a porter next.

After that I'll do a couple red wines to replenish my stock, then start on some Saisons and a Patersbier.

I am looking at a clone recipe of Avery's "Ellie's Brown Ale" but I have a big bag of "experimental" hops I got from a member here so I need to make a pale ale with those... or maybe a rye IPA...

:)

(broken record time) If you want a lighter beer that's friendly to the BMC crowd, looks like the Cream Of Three Crops cream ale is a good recipe, or even the Centennial Blonde.

10 gal Brew day set for tomorrow... Will be a Porter again for me as well...Possibly split with two different yeasts this time. In-laws are coming down from Anchorage so have to have some for the father in law.

Awesome! I do need to find something my buddies can drink and I can say "yep, I brewed that and you can too!" So I can weasel some buddies in to bulk grain purchases lol. Hey, everyone has an agenda, just gotta figure out how you fit into that agenda and everyone is happy with the results!

I have a dark dark beer I'll be bottling tomorrow but I honestly don't know what the heck it'll end up being. I'm new and threw a bunch of halfhazardly crushed specialty grains together and then half a pound of light dme together for the fun of it. No idea how or what it'll turn out like. But I'll be making a porter/stout soon myself.

Just rounded out my equipment for brewing thanks to Santa.

Plan on brewing my second recipe of my own design (with help from HBT folks) which is a rye IPA. Will immediately follow that with an AG kit for a chocolate milk stout.

My father in law no longer brews but still has his equipment so now there are extra carboys at my disposal. Have been jealous of those lucky people that had multiple brews going and now I am one!!!

Come March, will do something simple and much lighter on the ABV but most likely hoppy - a session IPA or just a pale ale. Curious to do a Mandarina\Citra ale and may give that a go.

You could always do a simple Pilsner for your buds. If you wanted to stretch things a bit you might do a blonde or Saison.

There are plenty of ideas in the recipe section of this site.

Happy Brewing.

Yup Tac, either double session on Sat, or Sat and Sun next weekend. I have only done a handful of AG batches so far, but I feel my process is solid so I will push it a little and see how well I can do

I just did a Weissbier (fermenting away nicely now). I'm going to do either a Munich Helles or Czech Pilsner next week sometime to keep the pipelines full.

I'm going to start experimenting with sacc/Brett combinations in 1 gallon batches. I've got dregs harvested from Crooked Stave and Sofie that I need to put to use -- looking to develop a highly quaffable house sour. Old world grain bill with new world hops, yum!

I've also got a RIS coming up that I've been looking forward to brewing for a year...and it won't be mature for another one. Whoops.

Well, when retiree payday comes around again, I'm going to get the rest of the ingredients to brew the German mumme' I've been writing & doing videos about come January. Then if I could get the Burton Barley wine going as well, that'd be two more beers done for my 2nd book on home brewing I'm working on.

Well, when retiree payday comes around again, I'm going to get the rest of the ingredients to brew the German mumme' I've been writing doing videos about come January. Then if I could get the Burton Barley wine going as well, that'd be two more beers done for my 2nd book on home brewing I'm working on.

I love those days :D

Just got a couple of two gallon buckets, two 1 gallon carboys and some associated hardware to do some small batches. I'm going to start with a batch of cider and a batch of peanut butter porter from Brooklyn Brew Shop I got for my son for Christmas. But not until next weekend. Still doing holiday stuff and Santa brought a new bumper and tire carrier for my Jeep that needs installing.

Awesome guys! Thanks for the info on the lighter beers for summer I need to do for my buds.

Keep up on the Brewgenda, it's awesome to see where everyone is at on everything!

There's also light pale ales, or my hybrid lagers, fermented with WL029 kolsch yeast with the same ingredients as lagers. I'm trying to come up with one that tastes the way I remember from the 50's & 60's.

I have always found a Kolsch or Patersbier to be good "convert" brews. As my next brew, I am finishing an e-brewery. When it is done I will do an Irish Red. Then maybe a Peach Wit, or Oatmeal Stout. Will need to do some dial in brews.

Let's see, here's my "brewgenda" so far:

This week while I'm off work, I'll be brewing a Belgian Blond (3522 Ardennes starter is chilling for it now), a Belgian Wit, and making 16 lbs of invert. Then next year:

• January: AK Pale Mild, Oat Dark Mild, Bramling Cross Bitter
  • February: Wheat Dark Mild, Wheat English IPA, WGV Bitter
  • March: House Ordinary Bitter, House Dark Mild, House ESB
  • April: House Best Bitter, Milk Stout, Northern English Brown
  • May: London Porter, English IPA, English Barleywine
  • June: American Wheat, Rochefort 10 clone
  • July: Session APA, Hefeweizen
  • August: Cream Ale, American Brown, RIS
  • September: Coniston Bluebird Bitter clone, California Common
  • October: Coniston Bluebird Bitter clone, annual Lamebic
  • November: Coniston Bluebird Bitter clone, Belgian Tafelbier
  • December: Belgian Dubbel, Lemon-lime alcopop

Man these are so cool to read! I know I'll be making a Red Hook ESB clone at some point as I can't get it where I'm at currently. Locally at least without making a trip to the city.

On deck is a stout -something simple without oak aging.

After that maybe an Irish Red, a Spruce Ale, or C3C from the recipe section here.

Next up is yoopers oatmeal stout. That'll be my first stout ever in 60 brews. Hoping to execute that this weekend. Maybe next. Couple weeks later i'm going to follow that up with an EPIC DIPA. I've got 2lbs of citra and 1lb of simcoe (both CY2015) burning a hole in my freezer!

Been brewing up a storm lately (as I have time right now, and was getting low on beer) and have 5 fermenters full:
Amber, IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Czech Dark Lager, Dortmund

Another IPA on tuesday
Blonde ale later this week probably

January - need to brew some beers for possible entry in NHC - Scottish 70, Dark Mild, Helles, Czech Pils..... maybe an American lager of some sort.

I am considering either a Saison, a SMaSH light ale or a winter porter. The winter porter wouldn't be ready until march so I am leaning towards the Saison, unless I can come up with a brighter idea before now and 2.5 weeks when my Firecrotch Grapefruit IPA is ready.

Belgian Dubbel early January. Maybe a Pilsner using some year old yeast just to test it followed by something high gravity to pitch Zurich lager at while an ale ferments at room temp that can be drank while everything else ages.

I have all the grains, hops and yeast i need to make a red rye ipa so im definitely brewing that next.
I got a corker for xmas so im looking at brewing something big. Maybe a barley wine or a strong ale. Then i want to do an apa, then who knows what... i have a milk chocolate stout on tap right now i might brew again. Woohoo!

my next brew will be a Chestnut bock.
I've a lot of frozen chestnuts from last fall and I'm going to smash half kilo of them in a munich mash

On new years eve I'm going to do this coffee stout:

Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.26 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 45.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 64.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.1 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %
1 lbs Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.1 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.6 %
4.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.8 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.8 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 39.3 IBUs
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose), at 30 min (0.0 SRM Sugar 9 7.1 %
0.50 gal Coffee (Cold Brewed from 4Oz), (Boil 0.0 mins) Flavor 10 - ,
1.0 pkg San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP09 Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 32.85 qt of water at 165.8 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Last edited:
Hosting Super Bowl again this year so I just did some good brewing over the last month.

Recently kegged an Oatmeal Stout, and a Double IPA. Have a cream ale in primary and next weekend I'll be brewing an English Pale Ale.

Hosting Super Bowl again this year so I just went did some good brewing over the last month.

Recently kegged an Oatmeal Stout, and a Double IPA. Have a cream ale in primary and next weekend I'll be brewing an English Pale Ale.

I did a Oatmeal Stout, and a Double IPA as my last two also.

-10 gallons of Rye Saison, split 3 ways with different brett strains

-10 gallons of 100% brett using the Rare Barrel Golden Recipes. Possibly hitting it with some LAB after primary fermentation.

-5 gallons of 100% brett in a Belgian Dark type recipe.

After putting it off two brew days while I waited for the grains I ordered to come in, I am finally going to brew the 1940 Porter recipe.

wookie jack clone. I got enough on deck to be able to allow ths one to age for 3-4 months, like i like it

I have enough on tap to last a good while, so next brew day is probably in April.
Planning a 10 gallon split batch. 5 G Bo Pils and 5 G Saison.

Got a TrueBrew "German Light" kit as a Christmas gift. ABV comes in at around 3.0 - 3.5%, but I think I'd like to use the kit as part of an ale that's around 1.0 - 1.5% higher if possible. I'd like it to still be light in color, but I'm not real concerned about intended original style. Kit ingredients are:

3.3 lb of Light Malt Extract
1 lb of Corn Sugar
1 lb of Rice Syrup Solids
6 g of Muntons Ale Yeast
1 oz of UK First Gold Hop Pellets

Any ideas?

My girlfriend got me a SS chronical for Christmas and she had been asking me to make another pumpkin ale before the year is over. So after a present like that, how can I say no? So I will be brewing a pumpkin ale this weekend and a double IPA in about 2 weeks.

Since I got my keezer up and running I have empty kegs that need filled!

Today, I am transferring my Cream Ale into the first keg... The hydro sample I had the other day was stunning - I would re-brew this recipe without any changes at all no doubt. It was perfect for what I was after, light and refreshing, that very slightly "sweet" aroma and flavor characteristic... Simply perfect. Can't wait to try the finished beer once it is carbonated. The recipe consisted of 2-row and 6-row, light munich, crystal 20L and flaked corn... Mt. Hood hops and WLP080 cream ale yeast. Finished at 5.5% ABV and 18 IBU.

Tomorrow, I am brewing a Porter. Malt bill consists of 2-row and Maris Otter as the primary base malts, alongside chocolate, munich, crystal malt (40L and 120L I believe), black patent and beechwood smoked malt (just enough to give it a faint smokiness, hopefully). A touch of oatmeal will be added for body/mouthfeel. Mashing on the higher end at 156F.

In a week and a half, I will be brewing a single hop Azacca IPA/DIPA (still debating on how "big" the beer will be) with Maris Otter and Vienna base malts along with a little 20L. Currently I have it expected at 5.5%, but recipe is still in development... Will be using a half pound of Azacca with a first wort hopping, 10min addition, 30-45min 160-170F hop stand and a 4-5oz dry hop for 5 gallon.

The final beer for my fourth keg, although it will age in the keg for some time before going on is going to be a huge imperial stout (12-14% ABV with vanilla beans and cold brewed coffee). As of right now, the recipe consists of a ton of 2-row, roasted barley, flaked barley, 60L & 120L crystal malt, chocolate malt, black patent and special roast. Columbus and Centennial hops. Expected beer is 12-13% ABV, 75-100 IBU. This recipe may be tweaked a lot prior to brewing, but the general idea is there.

After that, nothing in the pipeline yet... Perhaps a DIPA in the 8% ABV range, 100 IBU... I am thinking Columbus & Chinook for the first wort hopping bittering and (15min) flavor additions with Centennial and Citra for the hop stand and dry hop additions.

Latest posts

Back