What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently I have a Westvleteren 12 clone in one and two that are empty...

Tomorrow they will have 5.5 gal each, a wee heavy in one and a dark mild in the other.

Southern Star made a bourbon barrel aged version of their Buried Hatchet stout called Black Crack. Not to be outdone, our clone is called Plumber's Crack. It's in the fermenter now.

I have a Treetop patuerized no additives Nottingham hard cider. I'm going to call it Hardcore Hard Cider. I am really on the fence about whether I want to sweeten this cider with a non-fermentable sweetener. Originally I thought Stevia, but a lot of posts suggest that is not a great idea. Maybe Xylitol? I don't want it sweet like commercial ciders, but I've heard that true dry cider is a bit much to handle.

We made a hard cider, very dry and a bit sour, last year. Just cider, apple juice concentrate brown sugar and yeast. It is not my best brew and a bit rough still, it was best at about 6 months...
Currently I'm mixing it w a sweet tepache, real good mixed!
I just brewed a 1 gallon batch of alehoofer gruit based on the recipe from the growler magazine. 1 lb Amber DME, 7 qts water to acct for boil off, .5 cup dark brown sugar and 1qt Mason jar of alehoof aka creeping Charlie/Jenny. Was going to use 1 cup of brown sugar but ran out... Also added a 3 in sprig of new growth juniper from my backyard just because.
Ended up w 5qt in my old Mr beer fermenter at 1.040. Pitched about 2oz of Mangrove Jack's british ale yeast slurry from the jar in my fridge.
...time will tell...

I've got 5g of a spiced pumpkin ale. Since I'm aiming for a full conditioning time near Halloween, I'm going Ghostbusters with the name:

Back Off Man, I'm a Scientist

I have my favorite beer in mine right now!!!!

Oatmeal stout. Tons of chocolate coming through. Dry and finishing with a goal of 9.5%.

1-2 days from cold crash yet. I am so ready for this one. I haven't had one of these in a couple months.

I have about 20 gallons of a ongoing sour, I call ghetto solera, 10 gallons of a sour stout, 10 gallons of a 80 shilling ale.

Split batch of a Mexican Lager: half with WLP833 and half with WLP850
80% WEY Pils, 10% flaked maize, 10% torrified wheat
Cascade to 30IBU at 60 min, Saphir to 30IBU at 30 min, and Mittelfruh to 10IBU at 10 min.

Started rocking the airlock in less than 24 hours at 10C despite 5L headspace

5.5 of A ginger grapefruit lager
5.5 of a pecan porter
5.5 of dos equis clone

cannot wait:fro:

Have you done the dos equis clone before? If so, how did it turn out, did you do any subsequent adjustments for this one, etc.?

I have done a horrible rendition of one before and it was nothing remotely correct. the beer was good, but I would not call it a clone.

The one that I will keg actually tonight is from the book Clone Brews. I will brew another tomorrow from the AHA website called "the most interesting beer in the world" with the exception of the yeast. I will be replacing their yeast with a different wyeast strain. The first one had no flaked maize so I was suspect. :mug:

The temp controlled fridge has a pale ale and a butternut squash biere de garde.

Beside it around 65F is a saison (I want more spicy than estery notes).

Then on the cooler side is the stuff that's bulk aging.

081517 row of carboys B.jpg

I have a Doppelbock, English Bitter, Coffee Pale Ale going

If you can spread the word I made the 10 finalist in the Sam Adams Longshot contest. Oddly enough it was not for brewing a beer but making a video.

I need everyone you know to vote every 24 hours until Friday the 18th. I can win a week of brewing at Sam Adams in Boston and a Siebel Institute scholarship for a brewing class.

Here is a quick link to my video. It is silly so please be kind.

http://bit.ly/2ut75NB

Spread the word

Thanks!

Mark Witzel

I have an imperial red, a marzen and a small beer. With the 30 lb of grain from the other two beers, my small came out about the same OG as the marzen. :mug:

Two english milds. One is full extract with steeping grains, the other is BIAB. I decided to do a comparison between extract and all grain for myself. I might not be able to do the comparison though, when I was chilling the BIAB batch, a gnat flew into the wort and for some stupid reason, I put the tips of my fingers into the wort to fish it out. Hopefully it won't end up infected.

I have a Doppelbock, English Bitter, Coffee Pale Ale going

If you can spread the word I made the 10 finalist in the Sam Adams Longshot contest. Oddly enough it was not for brewing a beer but making a video.

I need everyone you know to vote every 24 hours until Friday the 18th. I can win a week of brewing at Sam Adams in Boston and a Siebel Institute scholarship for a brewing class.

Here is a quick link to my video. It is silly so please be kind.

http://bit.ly/2ut75NB

Spread the word

Thanks!

Mark Witzel

Congrats! Looks like you won.:ban:

1. Flanders red
2. Sour rye saison with peaches
3. Sour rye saison with mulberries
4. Berliner weisse
5. Home-pressed cider from foraged apples
6. Juniper & spruce tip gose

American stout at bat
Vienna lager on deck
lunch clone in the dugout

An IPA with home grown hops (Cascade, Chinook and Centennial). First attempt at an IPA without using caramel/crystal malts. I'll probably dry hop it next weekend. Debating on hoping in the serving keg or before...

Honey Kolsch going in the keg this weekend and a Heady Topper clone temperature controlled in my Spike CF10 (it's first batch!) that will get the first dry hops tonight. Haven't settled on what's next but the neighbors will likely be upset if I don't have a pumpkin for the adult trick-or-treater's ;)

1) blonde ale with wlp029 that i've had good success with using us-05
2) spiced scottish ale using nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla beans. a recipe from a local brewery here in cincy (madtree's thundersnow)

1) blonde ale with wlp029 that i've had good success with using us-05
2) spiced scottish ale using nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla beans. a recipe from a local brewery here in cincy (madtree's thundersnow)

That sounds like a tasty fall brew.

I have a Octoberfest, Big Red and Party gyle in cold storage and 2-5 gals of Wheat, one WL Wit (putting a gallon of grape juice in this tonight) and the other is WL German weisen yeast (this one I'm putting peach extract into the keg). :ban::mug:

Back