What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some kinda Munich Helles hybrid... Got the ingredients right but whiffed on the yeast! Used a hefeweizen style instead of a lager style. Maybe it's gonna be awesome...

Top left: Skeeter Pee
Top middle: Raspberry wine
Top right: Apple cider
Bottom: Apple cider

11218215_1019934808050747_5390777564301498202_n.jpg

Just pitched 2 packets of Notty that were 4 years past expiration into a stout that will be infused with coffee. Wish me luck! Have US-05 for back up...

Just pitched 2 packets of Notty that were 4 years past expiration into a stout that will be infused with coffee. Wish me luck! Have US-05 for back up...

It'll go. Somebody even harvested yeast from the inside of a fossil and started brewing with it.

It'll go. Somebody even harvested yeast from the inside of a fossil and started brewing with it.

Yeah, and you can use yeast that you harvest from a bottle, etc. Expiration dates seem to be over rated!

I just kegged a honey brown ale, and have a dry irish stout and MO/Mosaic SMaSH bubbling away.

Some kinda Munich Helles hybrid... Got the ingredients right but whiffed on the yeast! Used a hefeweizen style instead of a lager style. Maybe it's gonna be awesome...

Oof, that sounds like it's going to be interesting. What temperature are you fermenting at?

As for my carboys:
3 gal year old barleywine with Brett
5 gal Oud Bruin
3 gal Hefeweizen being soured
5.5 gal saison weizen with lemon drop and hallertau blanc
5.5 gal hoppy export made with Azacca and noble hops
5.5 gal helles with mandarina Bavaria hops

So 27.5 gallons?

In bottles, no idea, lost track.

You're right, it does seem to be going now, even though it's only been about 7 hours post pitching. That's crazy! This is my first time using Notty, so it may become a standby.

Maybe this could be the catchphrase for a homebrewing advocacy ad campaign. Do you think we could get Alec Baldwin or Laurence Fishburne for the spokeman? :rockin: :p

Yeah, I know... :off:

Oh, and for anyone who didn't get the joke: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHPVHmDnG_Y[/ame]

You're right, it does seem to be going now, even though it's only been about 7 hours post pitching. That's crazy! This is my first time using Notty, so it may become a standby.

So this didn't actually get going like I thought. I was mistaken in thinking it was fermenting. Twenty nine hours post pitching, I was curious, so I opened the bucket lid and nothing, no krausen, gravity hadn't changed. I got nervous and pitched US-05. It took off about 5 hours later, for real this time. Maybe I didn't give it long enough, but oh well.

Brewing my No. Brewer, Heady Topper clone. Six gallons inna 7 gal bucket. Blowoff tube working fine (?). There's a thick layer of foam under the lid causing it to bulge. Pitched about 1.5 liter starter. This was about 12 hours after pitching.

20150714_063959.jpg

Brewing my No. Brewer, Heady Topper clone. Six gallons inna 7 gal bucket. Blowoff tube working fine (?). There's a thick layer of foam under the lid causing it to bulge. Pitched about 1.5 liter starter. This was about 12 hours after pitching.

That looks like the blow off is clogged. Better check that out before you end up with a hell of a mess

So this didn't actually get going like I thought. I was mistaken in thinking it was fermenting. Twenty nine hours post pitching, I was curious, so I opened the bucket lid and nothing, no krausen, gravity hadn't changed. I got nervous and pitched US-05. It took off about 5 hours later, for real this time. Maybe I didn't give it long enough, but oh well.

What was your wort-temp when you pitched? Notty might ferment down to 55 or so, but mine didn't start up at all until wort temp got up to 63° F.

I've got 5+ gallons of mixed juice cider fermenting with cotes de blanc. about 3 gallons of Cran/Raspberry and 2 Gallons of apple cider (or maybe the other way around.) Nice dark color. :) I'm cold-crashing now, and it's pretty clear. I let it go for about three weeks at about 73-75*

That looks like the blow off is clogged. Better check that out before you end up with a hell of a mess
Yeah, that's what I thought too, but the tube was clear (mostly). There was just a thick layer of foam under the lid. It looks like the active portion of fermentation has passed, so I'm going to clean up the exterior, take off the tube and put in a regular airlock. I want to give fruit flies less to eat.

The remains of a cider batch. I started with 3.25 gallons, fermented it out, then backsweetened and kegged it. There is way less yeast than I expected, so I still have about a gallon left. It doesn't have a lot of flavor, just trying to get the apple base for alcohol.

I have three things on the go right now which was beyond my plan but it just kinda went that way.. but staggered bottling dates planned.

1. Brett saison brewed on June 21, will be bottling sometime early August I think.

2. A strong ale I completely made up and could be a total boozy mess, or might be good. MO, rye, caramunich and maple syrup, fuggles and cascade hopped, scottish ale yeast. 9% and 55 IBU. Been in primary since the 1st of the month. Will bottle soon, probably in a week or less.

3. Citra SMaSH IPA with maris otter. Brewed a week ago so bottling in a week.

After bottling my dempfbier tonight (and dumping an infected IPA [emoji20]) I'll have three empty fermenters! They'll need washing but I'm prepared for that step also.

After tomorrow one will be full of a saison I'll make.

Changed a little since last time.

• 5 gal Brett C Port Oak Old Ale
  • 5.5 gal Chardonnay Oak Lamebic
  • 5.5 gal Cabernet Oak Flanders Red
  • 10 gal Flanders Pale
  • 10 gal Oud Bruin
  • 5.5 gal Session Kriek
  • 5 gal Wee Heavy (partigyle)
  • 5 gal Scottish Export/80 Shilling (partigyle)
  • 5.5 gal Gose (Sour mash partigyle)
  • 5.5 gal Lichtenhainer (Sour mash partigyle)

Cold crashing a cider that will be backsweetened to 1.012 with cherry concentrate and some honey.
A rye saison is about to be finished.
A brown porter with a lb of oatmeal and around 1.064 (slightly out of style...)
A dry stout to bring to michigan homebrew festival

In my conical I have 10 gallons of robust porter, but in secondary I had a crabapple brett saison that I was about to keg. I didn't get around to kegging it 2 weeks ago, and this past week a bunch of fuzzy gray bubbles showed up so now I have a sour crabapple saison that should be ready in a few months.

An (almost) all Columbus IPA. I chucked everything I have done before in IPAs and came up with a new grain bill (a mix of 2-row, Pilsner, Vienna, and 1/2 lb. of Victory), new mash temp (155 instead of 148-49), new hop schedule (60 minute hop stand with additions 60 and 30 minutes in, no additions during the boil) much different water (100 SO4 instead of 300) and new yeast (I'm using Bell's house yeast, and I'm going to let it ferment on the warmer side - 67-68 - to get some of those distinctive Bell's esters.

New grain bill, so the numbers weren't quite dialed in yet. But, with the exception of the mash pH (a little high at 5.5) everything was spot on. Smells great too.

Brew night is now officially over and I'm enjoying a post brew beer. 22 litres of wheat beer loosely based on Edwort's Hefeweizen. Used his grain bill and mash profile but substituted Danstar Munich Wheat Beer yeast for the yeast he specified (I'm cheap) and a single 1oz charge of wild hops I found growing locally (think they're cluster) at 60 minutes instead of his recommended hop/hop schedule.

I made this exact recipe this past spring. I liked it a lot and my wife liked it more. The batch went fast and since summer hasn't started here yet (what the hell!) I decided to give it another go. Hope it turns out as good the second time.

Kegging a project brew tonight. I wanted to make an Imperial APA, but it turns out they don't exist? I suppose an Imperial APA is just an Imperial IPA with American hops, but I'm still calling it an IAPA.

Back