What's In A Name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of us first felt the call to homebrew after tasting a great hand-crafted ale or lager at a local brewery or brewpub. That magical sip bursting with flavor, the aroma wafting up from the head, the intricate lacing left in the glass. There really is nothing like the moment you realize that this is what beer should taste like.
1-tapglass-2138.jpg

You Found That Perfect Pint Of Magical Goodness
So you run out and buy a kit, or loved ones gift them to you, as was my case. You brew as much as possible, and start turning out surprisingly not-bad beer. Joy! And, once your confidence grows, you want to share this beer with friends and family. Hey, they like it too! Maybe there's something to this!
Now comes a time when your audience wants a good way to remember this nectar-of-the-gods. Sure, you can just tell them the base style, or which particular hops you used in secondary, but what's the fun in that? Half the fun of brewing is giving your operation and your product a great name with a ring to it.
2-biab-session-2139.jpg

You Loved It So Much You Have To Brew It Yourself
Brewing beer is a great creative outlet for most of us, the only creative outlet for some of us. The thought that goes into a new recipe, such as experimental hops and yeast combinations, or our latest scheme to coax a few more efficiency points from our setups, all contribute to the magic that ends up in our glasses. There are endless opportunities to let the right brain flex its muscles.
Personally, I spend almost as much time coming up with a recipe as I do coming up with a suitable name for the recipe. Early on, I fell into the wondrous world of beer-related puns. Don't get me wrong, I love a good play on words as much as the next grammar geek. However, many years down the road, obscure college football references and inside jokes just don't translate quite as well as they used to. If you like the clever tongue-in-cheek references to pop culture or subtle nods to the original recipe of a clone brew, more power to you.
I recently decided I wanted unique names for the recipes that I create. I am by no means a recipe master, having only brewed for about two and a half years. I'm still tweaking some of my favorites and go-to's. However, I wanted these mainstays to have meaning and identity similar to the back-stories printed on some of our favorite commercial offerings. Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada, and New Belgium are excellent examples of beers with outstanding names and great write-ups on the labels.
3-lagunitas-2140.jpg

In Search Of The Perfect Name For This Beer
Though I don't bottle anymore, I haven't given up on label design. Rather than print out 50ish labels for each 12 oz serving, I've decided to paint my kegerator with chalkboard paint and display the beer artwork at the tap. I brand each beer I brew so that the whole experience can be remembered. Not just the exact blend of hops and specialty grains come to mind, but the whole intent of the beer is represented.
For example, I brewed an amber ale that I finished with blueberries in secondary for my wife who was completing a master's degree in trumpet performance at the time. She had enjoyed Atlantic Brewing's Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale before, and she wanted us to recreate it on our own. We wanted to incorporate the blues/jazz aspect while describing the beer. We called it Kind of Blue Ale in honor of the iconic Miles Davis album of the same name.
Another example is my robust porter that I spiked with roasted hatch chilies soaked in vodka. I looked up Hatch, NM where these little green slices of heaven are grown, and it lies right on the Rio Grande which eventually passes through my hometown of Brownsville, TX before dumping into the Gulf of Mexico. The river is known as el Rio Bravo del Norte to our friends south of the border, so I named this beer Rio Bravo Hatch Chile Porter.
4-kegerator-2141.jpg

Create That Catchy Name For A Unique Beer
Whether you're brewing a Bavarian wheat beer or a big malty scotch ale, give your beer some thought through the eyes of your intended audience. Think of the experience of drinking it and what you'd want to taste, smell, think, etc. After all, that first magical glass that hooked you so long ago was carefully crafted from idea, to recipe, to product in much the same way. Maybe someday you could inspire the next generation of homebrewers with your beer!
David and Amanda are a husband and wife homebrew team in Arlington, Texas. If you'd like to follow New Main Brewing's adventures in homebrewing, check out our blog:
http://newmainbrewing.blogspot.com
4-kegerator-2141.jpg

Nice. I started out back in 90-91 with a simple Mount Mellick can of extract and a satchet of yeast. And the next batch needed a cool name. I wanted to emulate some of the craft beer names that were starting to pop up, and of course all kinds of pop culture referenced a cool or funny name for beers and other things.
I still WANT to do this, but I've come to face the fact that I am NO good at making labels. I'm no good at the artwork anyway. I would love to be able to create cool designs, but I'm not artistic that way.

I love coming up with names for my beers, but not so much labels. I have zero artistic ability, it took me forever to blend two layers just to make my profile picture (which is also used as my brewery logo).
When I first started brewing I wanted a way to identify myself, by beers, and also keep track of beers like I normally do (through UnTappd). So I created "Who Brew". Named after my love of Doctor Who and Beer, and also the fact that my equipment is shared among 2 friends that like to brew on it. So "Who brewed the beer". From there I made sure to name every beer I created based off something in the Doctor Who universe (Silence Night, DragonFire, Are You My Mummy?, Trenzalore, etc.)
When I forced myself into naming standards, I first thought I was hindering my creativity for names. It became the opposite, I was forced to really think about how I was going to name a beer, and it ultimately helped me stay focused on a name.

@Homercidal & @Vamptrump
No sweat on the artistic ability. I'm blessed with an embarrassment of artistic friends because of our connections to music and music education. My wife is a band director, as are my father and brother. I don't think there was ever a time in my life when one of us wasn't around the artsy-type people. I'm an engineer by trade, but I've been fortunate enough to be able to keep pursuing creative outlets. Coming up with a recipe or designing a brew stand is just as artistic as photoshopping Vladimir Putin's head on a bear for a beer label.

Good read. Naming my beers is something i'm terrible at, I usually just name them whatever style they are. Whenever I enter a competition i'm usually stumped for an hour trying to come up with something original and relevant. An original name is a hard part for me. Google whatever name you come up with and there's probably a brewery already using it somewhere.

Good read man. I've always wanted to name mine, and make labels but I'm so burnt out from work I don't want to be creative outside of work. +1 for finding a trumpet major :)

@JayDubWill Sometimes it's useful to just list what's unique about the beer. If something crazy happened during fermentation or the first time you sampled it, spin something up with that. It's easy to fall into the trap of "Well it's all been done before, what's the point." The point is you've never done it before, so do it you must!
@TheCADJockey Thanks! I have to take many ADHD breaks at work to make it through the day without exploding. I use that time to write or plan my next beer.

Good write up!
So far my only original name has been for the last IPA that I brewed with my buddy.
We started out with the Northern Brewers Kiwi IPA Recipe, but found that we could not source many of the NZ Hops in my Home town, so we improvised on almost all the ingredients!
Turns out that he lost his Job, a couple days before brew day, and then landed a new job a few days before Bottling day!
Thus was born New Beginnings IPA from Long Weekend Brewing.

Excellent! Naming is one of my favorite parts. Most times, I don't name it until I try it. This is kind of tradition that started after my very first homebrew: a hazelnut-spiked brown which was named Trapdoor by my master bottler and wife. And a couple have been brewed for occasions, like Frog Hunter Blonde Ale for my parents' late retriever.
Naming and label design has been a big part of my presentation, truly varnishing the surface of the experience. After all, that's what I and others are really drinking-- it's not just grain sugar, bitter acids and all that. There's quite a bit of careful effort and thought in that bottle, too. I think you're right on target about taking on the mind of the drinker. Even if it takes (a lot of) time to get a good name that really fits, it's worth it. =)

Glad to see I'm not the only one! I spent far too much time bouncing around home-brewery names (I even have an unused domain now I'm paying for...) and developing a brand image for something that few beyond myself are ever going to see!
My first brew day was a saison that I brewed the day after my cat died, so it was named after the cat.. "Pappy Saison"

I use a sequential numbering scheme to name my brews. I never have a hard time coming up with a new name!

I'm a paleontologist, and so usually use geological or paleontological names for my brews.
For example...Bonedigger Brown Ale. Eagle Face Oatmeal Stout (I named a new species of dinosaur, Aquilops, whose name translates as "eagle face"). etc.
All of my pale ales and IPAs are named for supercontinents...e.g., Gondwana Pale Ale, Rodinia IPA, Pannotia White IPA, etc.
Yep, I'm a nerd.

Back