What's Floating in my Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSmetalcraft

Reaction score
My guess is it is the proteins but always like second opinions. Maybe something from the hops?

Brewed my first all grain beer. I noticed a lot of , well hard to explain but oils floating or mixed in the wort. It is heavier then the water and once in the carboy it settles out. 20 hours in, the bottom 1/3 of the carboy was different color then the top 2/3. Now over 24 hours I have the normal grey layer on bottom and the color is consistent top to bottom. I had this grey layer with extracts 24 hours in and the fermintation has started well..

I forgot to add a flock tablet late in the boil. Is this sort of sediment that it is to help settle out in the kettle? I whirepooled after I had cooled it, let sit fir 15 minutes and then drained down to the sludge. Most of the hop material was in the middle.

Probably a combination of hop dust and proteins. It shouldn't look oily though - more like egg-drop soup.

Back