What's everyone dry hopping with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buildinazuk

Reaction score
I love to dry hop with loads of hops. typically use Citra, Simco, Amarillo, Galaxy or Mosaic.

What are you guys hopping with? Is there a hop out there that produces awesome flavor and aromas that is not that well known? Just curious. Have a batch about ready to drop some hops in and need to run to the LHBS to pick up goodies...

You touched on my favorites... Columbus being another that I like to dry hop with quite a bit.

I always put a little Columbus in with my fruity hops. Lately I've been using Amarillo, Cascade, & Columbus for a nice mix. I want to try some PAcific Jade at some point.

I still need to use these experimental hops I got from aprachman, and I might have some Summit coming my way soon.

Few lesser known hops I like

EXP 7270 - huge tropical flavors and resiny

Comet - grapefruit and super assertive resin character

Belma - strawberry, strawberry, strawberry

Huell Melon - cantaloupe, honeydew

Pacific Gem - tangy blackberry

Hallertau Blanc - wine/gooseberry, like a more floral nelson sauvin

have never dry hopped before, but will be doing it on my currently fermenting Deschutes Fresh Squeezed clone: Mosaic and Citra

opened up the fridge this morning and a huge wave of awesome smelly hoppy goodness smacked me in the face and that's even before the dry hopping

thanks for all the quick posts! Dry hopping is a must in my IPA's. I put in 4 or 5 ounces per 5 gallons. It's like a hop bomb! Also adds to the flavor.

I love to dry hop with loads of hops. typically use Citra, Simco, Amarillo, Galaxy or Mosaic.

What are you guys hopping with? Is there a hop out there that produces awesome flavor and aromas that is not that well known? Just curious. Have a batch about ready to drop some hops in and need to run to the LHBS to pick up goodies...

Columbus is a great all-around hop. I use it to bitter, flavor and to dry-hop. Very piney.

My favorite hop variety to dry-hop with is Mosaic, without question.

I don't dry hop often but I was very pleased when I used Nelson Sauvin.

Nelson sauvin is another good one. Do you guys usually keep it to one hop or mix a few different hops?

Citra and/or Falconer's Flight have been my favorites so far. To me, Citra gives a wonderful pineapple/mango aroma and Falconer's Flight has a great lemon/grapefruit aroma. They work great together, too!

Belma - strawberry, strawberry, strawberry

This made my day! I have 4 pounds of Belma (2 I got as part of a buyout earlier this year and 2 that were gifted to me). I couldn't figure out what I wanted to use it for... Strawberry Wheat and Strawberry Blonde here I brew! :mug:

I typically dry hop with citra, galaxy, mosaic, and/or cascade. Dry hopped my IPA with galaxy and mosaic recently. Want to try amarillo sometime, but it's pretty expensive ($3.50 an ounce at the lhbs).

My early homebrew used alot of Chinook and Columbus. I'll have to go back to these sometime. Just got hooked on all the fruityears newer hops.

This made my day! I have 4 pounds of Belma (2 I got as part of a buyout earlier this year and 2 that were gifted to me). I couldn't figure out what I wanted to use it for... Strawberry Wheat and Strawberry Blonde here I brew! :mug:

I use a buttload of it in my favorite IPA. Its not very assertive, so you need like twice as much of it as you would something like citra. But I wouldnt hesitate to use it in any Belgian style either

I use a buttload of it in my favorite IPA. Its not very assertive, so you need like twice as much of it as you would something like citra. But I wouldnt hesitate to use it in any Belgian style either

Great advice! With 4# I'm not too worried about not having enough! Most of the Belgians that I make are heavy with Rye, so I'm not sure that strawberry would go with it. :ban:

Apollo is great. I think most people use it for bittering, but I recently used it for Flameout and Dry Hopping and it was outstanding.

The mix of Nelson and citra is magical. I let it sit for 48 hours and kegged this morning. Did a quick shake carb and drank tonight. It's dank. Has the smell of marijuana. Love it

I don't normally dry hop, however in a couple months I will brew an English IPA, all hops plus dry will be Pilgrim..

Dry hops are a must imo. On a home brew level for a few bucks you can drop a few ounces in a batch. First impression of your beer is the aroma. I kill it with hops. I believe it adds nice flavor also. Try funky gold mosaic from prarie. It's a dry hopped sour. Incredible

Great advice! With 4# I'm not too worried about not having enough! Most of the Belgians that I make are heavy with Rye, so I'm not sure that strawberry would go with it. :ban:

Strawberries are nice with black pepper, and rye is supposed to have a peppery-spice to it, so I'd say: go for it!

just brewed an ipa, about 4 days in primary at the moment, going to dry hop with 1/3 oz each of cascade, citra, amarillo for 3 days before bottling :ban:

If you really want to get slapped in the face, you could try centennial and chinook

YES! SO MUCH YES!
I used it in a red, with some Zythos as well, and boom! I couldnt taste anything for weeks....... lol

On anothernote, I just got hold of a new hop from New Zealand (I live there) It's called Brooklyn, so look out for it soon, a local brewery here released some experiments with it, so should be fun to use in a few weeks.
I'm planning a simple Pale ale with Nelson Sauvin peppered in there.
Dryhopped exclusively with this new hop. (I have no idea what it will be like)

Back