What yeast for an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn

Reaction score
Looking at an IPA kit, I get to choose the yeast. Anticipated ABV IS 6.5%. Thanks

WLP001 and Wyeast 1065 are standards for IPAs. Some like WLP090, though I've never used it. These are all clean fermenting, but you can use WLP002 for more ester production.

Cal ale is the most common if you really want the hops to shine through, however an english strain is great in american IPAs, something like WLP007. Makes a little more balanced IPA than 001.

US-05/WY1056/WLP001 are great and will give you good results within a pretty wide range of fermentation temperatures. I prefer WLP090 as it seems to be a bit quicker, and definitely floccs out better, but requires more precise temperature control.

WLP001 and Wyeast 1065 are standards for IPAs. Some like WLP090, though I've never used it. These are all clean fermenting, but you can use WLP002 for more ester production.
I think you meant WY 1056. As far a I know there is no 1065.
WY 1272 is also a good choice.
THE best is WY1217 but it is only available as a special release each year.

I really like wlp060 for my IPAs.

I agree. WLP 060, which is a blend of WLP 001/WY1056 (California Ale-Sierra Nevada strain), WLP 051/WY1272 ( Anchor Ale strain) and Anchor Steam Cal lager strain. Makes an amazing IPA. I have used all the other yeasts mentioned, and I have settled on WLP 060 as my favorite.

That said any of the yeasts mentioned above will produce a fine IPA. If you are new to IPA brewing I would start with WLP 001/WY1056 to get a sort of baseline, then branch out from there.

I used to use 1272 for all my IPAs, but I have recently fallen in love with using 1007, fermented cool. It is so clean, and it really lets the hop flavors shine through.

I used to use 1272 for all my IPAs, but I have recently fallen in love with using 1007, fermented cool. It is so clean, and it really lets the hop flavors shine through.

I just bottled a black IPA fermented with 1007 and I second this opinion. I fermented in the upper 50's and it's super clean; like hop juice.

Back