What would you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrongCoastBrewery

Reaction score
So I am looking to buy an old freezer to do conditioning/lagering in. Which would you use? A 15 cu. ft. upright freezer or a ~15 cu. ft chest freezer. Both are for about 40-50 dollars and I already have a keezer.

I have both. But I found it easier on my back to lift anything into the upright. But I also condition in a converted sanke and do 10 gal batches. I still occasionally use the chest freezer when using corny kegs as I can fit more in there.

A 5 ot 7 cubic foot chest freezer. Lest you do a lot of split batches using similar yeast ferm temps.

I was given a 14 cu ft chest freezer and I use it for a ferm cabinet. Heated and cooled. Such a waste of space for 5 gallons.

It depends- if the coils in the upright freezer are on the shelves, you don't want it. You want to be able to remove the shelves to make room in it.

I agree that an upright is much easier on the back- that's why I have an upright fridge for my kegerator instead of a keezer. I'm too short, old, and weak to lift full carboys in and out of a keezer. Kegs are a bit easier, because of the handles and the fact they don't break, but an upright would be my preferences if the shelves are removeable.

Well, I went with the chest freezer. The beast is an old Kenmore that runs like a champ. Scored it for $40. I am guessing it is 14+ cu. ft. Lots of space for secondary fermentations and then some cold keg storage later.

Back