What would you brew for this particularly picky in-law?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinnerstick

Reaction score
Help! suggestions solicited!! Father in law likes beer, but is not adventurous. He drinks continental pilseners, but his top beer is grolsch herst(autumn)bok. i doubt many will have had the 'pleasure', but this is a dark color, say dark chestnut brown, quite bitter, relatively thin bodied, excessively sweet unbalanced bock substitute. 6.5% abv or so. you would think the high spicy bitterness would cut away at the cloying sweetness, but nope. the guy likes sweet beer, sweet wine, won't touch a dry wine. but he does like my malty english ales, was very happy with my vienna lager, almost choked on a smoked porter. but i want to make him something like his favorite, something tailored for him as i owe him a favor. i am not going to make any big lagers this year; no time and no fermenter space. but i was toying with the idea of a dark bock recipe fermented cool (15c) with cal ale/s05, a cheater's lager. i abhor the idea of making a sweet beer by the way! thx

possibly a milk stout? i brewed a black ipa and used a fair amount of chocolate malt (a little more than intended) and it was really good. every time I drank it, I wanted chocolate cake. It was still hoppy but probably no longer an ipa but not quite a desert beer either.

Go to the store or growler shop & buy something appropriate "just for him". That way you won't be stuck w/ a keg of beer you won't drink!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

that looks like a definite possibility. kind of fundamentally similar to the idea of bok with ale yeast, ie german-ish brewing made easy. thanks.
milk stout, it's a nice idea, i would consider it if the guy weren't a roastophobe! melana- your personal brewing mantra duly noted. govner- i would but it's a bit of a copout, it will be meaningful for him that i'm making something especially for him, so i've got to go for it. the favor was a really big design and construction project that saved me a $hi$$$ckload of money, this outweighs the risk of having half a keg of meh beer, at the very worst i can feed it to brett. cheers all!

A 6-7% wee heavy might work too, you could mash high and use enough specialty malts to come in on the sweet side. Or just go for broke and make him a big heavy. But that style would match the sweetness and color and you wouldn't have to faux lager it.

The nut brown recipe by lil'sparky would do the trick. I have done a few batches of this with a few mods. Add a pound or two of 2row to bump up the gravity, add some darker chocolate malt such as muntons chocolate, add a quarter pound of munich, and a quarter pound of honey malt. Ferment with wlp02. It will end up a bit sweet and not roasty.

Back