What would u guys do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheamus81

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a dillemma. I'm about a week into primary on my first partial mash kit (AHS blonde ale). My original plan was to brew the blonde ale and add 2oz of blueberry extract to have a finished beer somewhat resembling sweet water blue. A week in and I'm pretty close to my fg and I'm really enjoying the citrusy notes I'm getting from the cascade hops. I'm just wondering if the extract and the citrus notes might clash together. I'm really happy with my results so far with doing partial mash. My brew day went very well and I think I'm starting to get my process down. I don't want to ruin this brew so any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

What would I do?

I've always been disappointed with fruit beers. I wouldn't add it.

But ... you could always do both. The extracts from home brew stores are not fermentable, so you could add it to half the batch at bottling.

Bottle as normal, and when you have done half the bottles, add the extract to the remaining beer in the bucket and gently mix in.

If your happy with how it is I wouldn't add it. But like the last poster said, you could add it to part of the batch and leave the rest as is. Nothing wrong with experimenting. But IMO strong hop presence clashes with fruit.

I'd split it just to find out. Experimentation is never a bad thing and this way you have more variety on hand. If you do like one more than the other you can always brew it again that way in a full batch size.

Back