What would happen if you didn't boil your all grain batch at all?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I realize this isn't a good (at least tasty) idea. That said, what would happen if one did a single mash infusion, let it cool, and pitched yeast. I realize a boil does several beneficial things.

So in short, if one just mashed in, collected, cooled, aerated, and pitched, what would happen? (besides taste bad)

Probably make a beer that gets fermented by bacteria living on the grain.... lactobacillus. Basically a sour mash. This is a strategy in making a beer like a Berliner Weiss.

I dunno, mashing at 150 or above will also pasteurize the wort pretty effectively (reducing microbial activity by several orders of magnitude, at least). If you cooled quickly to pitching temps and followed good sanitation practices, I don't know why you'd be any more likely to have a lactobacillus infection than if you'd boiled.

You'd have zero bitterness, of course, even if you mash hopped. I believe this is how a lot of medieval beers were made, using gruit spices rather than hops (which require a boil or close to it).

I'd be worried about the level of DMS in the beer. Not sure what that would result in health-wise, but there's a good chance for off flavors.

I dunno, mashing at 150 or above will also pasteurize the wort pretty effectively (reducing microbial activity by several orders of magnitude, at least). If you cooled quickly to pitching temps and followed good sanitation practices, I don't know why you'd be any more likely to have a lactobacillus infection than if you'd boiled.

You'd have zero bitterness, of course, even if you mash hopped. I believe this is how a lot of medieval beers were made, using gruit spices rather than hops (which require a boil or close to it).

Nope, you need to be above 165 for 15 min. to do that.

Sahti is made like that, more or less… long (like all day), single infusion mash… strained through juniper branches… yeast pitched

It is easy enough to try - even on a smaller scale of a gallon or two. I think the results would be bad, and involve infection. I could be wrong.

Another issue, I think, is that the boil does more than just steralize the wort. Boiling drives off chemical compounds as already mentioned. It also allows for hot break and cold break - dropping out proteins. That may be a problem (to some extent) as well if you did not boil.

I think it is very, very safe to say that if breweries could, in any way, create decent beer without boiling - they would be doing it as it would be a huge cost advantage.

I realize this isn't a good (at least tasty) idea. That said, what would happen if one did a single mash infusion, let it cool, and pitched yeast. I realize a boil does several beneficial things.

So in short, if one just mashed in, collected, cooled, aerated, and pitched, what would happen? (besides taste bad)

Boiling accomplishes several important things that contribute to the overall end product- your beer.
First, it sanitizes the wort , eliminating unwanted organisms that compete w/ your yeast during fermentation. Second, it concentrates the wort. (That's why your pre-boil SG is lower than post boil). Third, a vigorous boil (uncovered) eliminates unwanted by products like DMS. Fourth, it allows you to precipitate unwanted proteins (hot & cold break) that help you produce a clear beer. Last, without the heat of the boil you cannot extract the alpha acids (isomerization ) of the hops to add bitterness, flavor, aroma, and the natural preservative properties of the hops.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did it. Last week. 75% rye, 25% barley. Will let you know how it turned out. I let it cool at room temperature, aerated, and pitched a starter of US-05. Will see how it turns out.

Back