flour or no flour - do you shake your grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
the manual for my all in one reccomends to shake the grains to avoid scorching the bottom of the kettle. i assume they mean to shake the flour out of the milled grains. before mashing in. i was scared efficiency would suffer a lot so i didnt. my kettle didint scorch but there was a fine film of congealed flour in the center of the kettle. i am concerned with a longer boil or higher heat it could scorch. i saw on a reddit thread someone else shakes the flour out of there grains and he still gets good efficiency. is this a thing? is it common to remove the flour cause i never heard of it before. if i did shake it out a little would it be good to add it to the top of the mash or that could clog it ? i added 2 oz of hulls last time, im going to go with 4 oz next time. maybe that will help to prevent the flour from collecting at the bottom of the kettle.

Scorching the bottom of your boil kettle? I wouldn't think it a issue. But I suppose if you never stir the wort while it comes to a boil then maybe it might be a thing. But I'd also imagine the sugars in the wort are going to scorch on the bottom anyway if you don't stir occasionally.

Still, sparging and mash techniques should get a reasonable amount of flour out of the wort. Maybe this is just someone's hypothesis that was never tested. Though I can't say my testing is any better. However my boil kettle doesn't get scorched. I don't worry about flour or dust in the malts. And it has a lot of leftover solids of various sorts from the wort in the bottom when it's emptied. But none scorched or leaving scorch marks on the kettle.

I’ve had an all-in-one for about 18 months. I double mill so there’s a decent amount of flour. I leave it in. I’ve had scorching once, while trying a decoction on a lager. That led to a huge pain in the ass in terms of cleaning. Other than that, mashing and boiling have been fine. I double mill because efficiency had been an issue.

Scorching the bottom of your boil kettle? I wouldn't think it a issue. But I suppose if you never stir the wort while it comes to a boil then maybe it might be a thing. But I'd also imagine the sugars in the wort are going to scorch on the bottom anyway if you don't stir occasionally.

Still, sparging and mash techniques should get a reasonable amount of flour out of the wort. Maybe this is just someone's hypothesis that was never tested. Though I can't say my testing is any better. However my boil kettle doesn't get scorched. I don't worry about flour or dust in the malts. And it has a lot of leftover solids of various sorts from the wort in the bottom when it's emptied. But none scorched or leaving scorch marks on the kettle.
thanks im going to get a longer mash paddle ( prolly wood or plastic) and make sure i really get the bottom good. im thinking i may have not stirred well enough before i added the hop spider then afterward i couldnt realy get to the center reel good in the kettle with the spider in the way. thanks its my first time with aio and im still learning.
I’ve had an all-in-one for about 18 months. I double mill so there’s a decent amount of flour. I leave it in. I’ve had scorching once, while trying a decoction on a lager. That led to a huge pain in the ass in terms of cleaning. Other than that, mashing and boiling have been fine. I double mill because efficiency had been an issue.
i also double milled cause i used to biab and got much better efficiency double milled.

thanks

Latest posts

Back