What will this mistake taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOnBoard

Reaction score
So before I start I do want to say that this isn't an oh my god I'm about to dump my beer thread. I am, in fact, relaxing and about to have a home brew.;)

With that said, I'm curious about what my mistake in hop timing will do to the expected flavor of this beer. What I did, was add the second batch of hops at 15minutes INTO the boil not adding them as I should have with 15minutes LEFT in the boil. Once I realized this mistake I threw in a 1/4oz of cascade hops I had laying around at flameout.

Here is the recipe as it should have been made. Of note though is that two hops are listed, and two times to add, but it doesn't say when to add the larger around and when to add the smaller. Based on other similar recipes I added the larger batch of hops at the beginning.

What do you think? How will it be altered?
Brew on Board

Recipe posted by "wild" for swartzbier
6 lbs. LME
1 lb. Caramunich (40°L)
1 lb. Carapils or Dextrin-Type Malt
4 oz. Roasted barley
1¾ oz. Hallertau hops 3.5% alpha-acid (5¼ AAU)
1 oz. Hallertau hops 3.5% alpha-acid (3½AAU)
2 pt. Starter of Bavarian Lager Yeast (1 pkg. Wyeast 2206 or White Labs WLP-830)
*****I used saflager instead.
⅔ cup Corn sugar for priming

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.008
SRM: 30
IBU: 26

Start with 5 gallons of water in boil kettle. Steep crushed grains at 150°F for 30 minutes. Remove bag and rinse with enough 168°F water to make 5½ gallons. Add extract. Total boil time is 60 minutes. At beginning of boil add Hallertau hops and continue for 45 minutes. Add second Hallertau and boil for remaining 15 minutes. Whirlpool and cool to 45°F to pitch starter. Ferment and condition as above.

It'll be more bitter than you expected, with really no Hallertauer Aroma or Flavor. The Centennial at Flameout will give it some nice floral & fruity aroma but it won't be what was intended by the recipe.

It does however sound good!

Yea it will be more bitter and perhaps you will get less of the aroma and hop flavor but it should be good, its not going to be too bitter. If you want more aroma and flavor of the hops to go along with your more bitter beer you should dryhop in the secondary.

You really shouldn't use roasted barley in a schwartzbier. You should use the dehusked carafa. Schwartzbiers have minimal roast character.

Sounds like you just make a roasty American pale ale. Should be interesting!

You really shouldn't use roasted barley in a schwartzbier. You should use the dehusked carafa. Schwartzbiers have minimal roast character.

Sounds like you just make a roasty American pale ale. Should be interesting!

Well that would suck because I asked the forum for schwartzbier recipes. We'll see what happens. So do the roasted grains give it a rauchbeer (smoked) quality or something else?

BoB

Well that would suck because I asked the forum for schwartzbier recipes. We'll see what happens. So do the roasted grains give it a rauchbeer (smoked) quality or something else?

BoB

Roast barley is the signature grain in a stout. It will give some mild roast (not smoke) that will give the impression of coffee, dark chocolate, or even ashy flavors.

You should really pick up Brewing Classic Styles.
The recipe in there calls for (all grain) 9lbs of pils, 1lb munich malt, 11oz of 430*L carafa special.

Coffee, dark chocolate, that might work. Glad it won't taste like rauchbeer, or bacon-beer as I call it. I even had rouchbeer from a wooden cask in the original pub in Bamberg and still think it tastes like bacon, but not in a good way.

;-)

I've heard of brewing classic styles a few times, might have to pick that up. Thanks for the tip.

BrewOnBoard

I always wanted to like Rauchbier (because bacon is delicious) but so many are just overwhelming and not "digestible" as the Belgians say. Nevertheless, the Harpoon Rauch Fetz is one of the best, most drinkable out there...in case you want to give it another shot.

Back