What will the neighbors think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s a number of older folks in my apartment, and I brew in the back yard area of my building. Amazed no one has called the cops or VFD.

Picture a very breezy spring day outside with the two tier outdoor burner. Can’t find my insulation to properly manage mash temps. Forward to me attempting to wrap the 16 gal kettle in bedsheets, bungee cords, and blankets. Thirst got the better of me and upon returning 1 min later with a beer I find my entire kettle is engulfed in 6 ft flames!!! Don’t worry the beer was okay. Coulda given a crap about the sheets!
Certainly one of the more modern ways for creating a Rauchbier :D

My landlord has 2 acres behind my house, he keeps his classic car collection and a large garden back there. He asked if i was frying a turkey so i invited him in and shared his first home brew with him. So fare hes liked everything but the ipas. But the ppl next door think im making meth. They still dont believe its beer.

I get weird stares while brewing in my garage. The neighbors kids always come over and check things out. I also met our city’s mayor while he was canvassing for re-election. He was super stoked to find out I was making beer and hung out for about 30 mins asking questions.

When I brewed in my previous neighborhood, I had two neighbors stop by. First was the next door neighbor who I talked to regularly, he asked if I was making moonshine and we talked about beer for a while. Second was a guy who lived down the street somewhere, he stopped while driving by because he saw me brewing. He had brewed a couple of times himself and we chatted about beer for a bit.

I moved in February, so we'll see if anyone in the new neighborhood has any reactions. Beer: I don't care what the neighbors say; I'm gonna love you, each and every day.

I used to brew pretty late into the night (well past midnight) on my back patio. A few times there was a police chopper that would fly overhead at least 4 or 5 times in a row. I liked to believe that they were trying to scope out my operations. By the third time I'd just start waving at them.

I brew in the backyard so normally nobody sees anything, just the smell and nobody's bothered knocking on my door to ask. But one morning (after a late night brew session) I had left the kettle out on the propane burner and was planning on cleaning up later) I had some railroad ties delivered by the town hardware store. We carried them in back where the owner stopped dead and stared at my set up for a few seconds. I didn't think I needed to explain myself but that night I found a few bible verses left on my front porch. The owner is a very religious individual from what I could tell when visiting his shop. The joys of living in the sticks! ;)

Sent from my VS988 using Home Brew mobile app

Before I got my Grainfather, I brewed on my back patio in plain sight of the neighbor behind us. One day, she came by as I was chilling my wort. She asked if one of the items I had was an immersion chiller. Turns out she is a home brewer as well. Now we frequently talk beer and share bottles with each other. I've made so many awesome connections through this hobby! Now if I had brewed in the front of my house where my nosy witch of a neighbor could see, things would have gotten interesting lol.

I guess I've had four visits while brewing, two surveys and two neighbors. One woman pollster was also a brewer, which was great. Everyone was interested, the two neighbors sampled beers I had on hand and loved them. So observers or visitors has been very positive for me.

[QUOTE=" Beer: I don't care what the neighbors say; I'm gonna love you, each and every day.

[/QUOTE]

+1

"Let the neighbors call the cops.
It don't matter we ain't gonna stop!"

from "Shake it Till It's Sore" - Dan Baird & Homemade Sin

I always brew out in my driveway. Most neighbors know I brew now but I always get a kick out of people that don't, wondering what I'm doing. In my old neighborhood, the first time I met my one set of neighbors was when I was brewing and they decided to bring over jello shots and introduce themselves.

All of my neighbors have an open invite to come on over when I’m Brewing in the garage. More the merrier. If I want privacy I just leave the door shut. Sometimes they smell it and come on over anyway.

I have a neighbor that asked me what I was cooking, told them beer, and they said I was lying and they called the police. They showed up to the neighbors, asked a few questions, looked over the fence at me and walked away. Didn't even talk to me. The best part is now the neighbor won't talk to me at all, win for everyone!

For all the comments from neighb’s believing we’re making meth, do you think they would even recognize an ACTUAL meth setup if they saw it?! Probably not! LOL.

Don’t worry folks just cooking up some meth in my garage for all the world to see! Just your friendly neighborhood drug lord here!

I brew in the back yard and any neighbor within eyesight knows what I'm up to.
It's the county police cruiser that shows up in my driveway every other week that gets the nosy neighbors talking. Never mind that it's my friend that I've known for 30 years. When we go on vacation he'll park in my driveway and eat his lunch. Can't ask for any better home security than that.

A neighbor came over to see what was going on in the garage. I told him about what was happening. He thought it was cool and later gave me 4 glass carboys from his winemaking days.

I've had less savory looks when cleaning shotguns in the garage after hunting buy buy now most of my neighbors know me. I be the brew spoon holdin', sip stealin', mash stirin', motorcycle ridin', race car drivin' son of a gun. WOOOOO!

Last edited:
My neighbors love it....... and the beer too!! Great neighbors and I give them beer and they return the favor with the store bought stuff ( only the good craft stuff). I brew in my attached front garage and we have had a really crappy winter and still brewed 50 gallons!!!

I brew in the back yard and any neighbor within eyesight knows what I'm up to.
It's the county police cruiser that shows up in my driveway every other week that gets the nosy neighbors talking. Never mind that it's my friend that I've known for 30 years. When we go on vacation he'll park in my driveway and eat his lunch. Can't ask for any better home security than that.

Ink, I like that version better than "supervised probation". :)

My landlord has 2 acres behind my house, he keeps his classic car collection and a large garden back there. He asked if i was frying a turkey so i invited him in and shared his first home brew with him. So fare hes liked everything but the ipas. But the ppl next door think im making meth. They still dont believe its beer.

Well, when they DO believe it's beer ... it will be like feeding cats. Never underestimate the attractive power of free beer.

I always get the same visitor with the same comments every time I brew. "Whatcha makin?" or "When are you going to be done?" or "You left the toilet seat up again"... I brew in the kitchen, btw.

I do the brew in the kitchen thing, too.
Wife likes the cooking malt smell, but isn't a beer fan, so I have a solution for that - it's called "malt tea". I save some first or second runnings for her.

I do the brew in the kitchen thing, too.
Wife likes the cooking malt smell,.
That’s great that she likes that smell. My husband likes that I brew but does not like that cooking malt smell at all ( I brew in kitchen). So when I brew he goes to Home Depot, goes fishing, does yard work etc etc

My wife doesn’t like the smell or the taste of beer. More for me. I do make wine and cider for her.

Funny today I am brewing on my back lanai (making a Belgian Wit) and the neighbor behind me walked up the wooded trail next to my house and saw me. So he came over and said "Hey what are you doing?" So I told him and showed him my rig. His eyes got huge and he was in shock of how cool my rig was for a "home brewer". He then asked what time is the beer going to be ready! I couldn't help but chuckle a little and I told him it takes around three weeks in the fermenter and another week in the keg before it's really ready.

John

Back