What type of beer did I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gueron

Reaction score
This may sound strange, or at least it potentially sounds strange, but I'm trying to determine what type of beer I brewed.

I originally thought I would try and do a Belgian White, and designed the recipe, which is only my second recipe, around that. The Home Brew Supply store that I use was out of the White Labs WLP400 (Belgian Wit Ale Yeast). They were also out of the White Labs WLP550 (Belgian Ale Yeast), and though I prefer White Labs, they were out of the SAFALE S-33 (Belgian Strain) as well as the WYeast #3944.

I chose to go with the White Labs WLP565 (Belgian Saison I Yeast). I used Extra Light and Wheat DME, and added a quarter cup of honey in the initial boil and hopped with Kent Goldings.

The ale, before bottling and priming it, is a pale golden color, and has a dry flavor actually, with very little after taste.

So I return to my initial question, what type of ale would this be classified as?

I live in San Antonio, so I would say it was up in the upper 70s to low 80s. I wasn't monitoring temperature at all. This will be only my fourth attempt, well fifth, but one blew up, literally, and each attempt is a step toward learning.

Back