What to look for when buying Corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefe21

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I am about to start kegging my beer and am picking up 2 used corny kegs tomorrow. They are ball lock style. I'm just wondering if there are anythings I should specifically look for on the kegs. Don't feel like driving 2 hours to find out I got screwed. Anything I should know?

Thanks

They should hold CO2 pressure before you pay for them. They should not have big dents, small dings ok and expected in used stuff. The black rubber should not come off on your hands.

Metal gas IN dip tubes and the standard o-ring seal for both dip tubes. The standard o-ring seal style are such that an o-ring goes around the dip tube and when the tube is inserted into the tank fitting, the o-ring rests on top of the tank fitting. The older style (often with plastic gas IN dip tubes) are such that the dip tube seal goes into a counter-sunk tank fitting. These usually need a thicker 'gasket' style seal. I would avoid these if possible. They do work fine though.

I would also try to get the same brand/style if possible. That way all your parts are interchangeable.

You might want to make sure that they haven't been used to store root beer syrup. I had one keg that I had a hard time getting out the root beer flavor. Other flavors not so bad, but root beer really hangs on. I changed out all the gaskets and soaked in a very strong bleach solution for a week or two.

You might be better served by buying from one of the HBT vendors who get high ratings. I'm not affiliated with them, but all my purchases from keg connection have been great. I'm sure there are other vendors that have great service as well.

***Edit - sorry when I read the original post I must have missed the "I'm driving tomorrow part." I've done this as well and I still think these days it is cheaper and easier to purchase from an online vendor and have them delivered. If purchasing locally follow the good advice above, check for dead cats, LOL.

Ron

Back