What to do with Styrian Goldings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KraphtBier

Reaction score
I just recieved a hop order and I've got a pound of whole leaf styrian. I don't have a lot of experience with this hop and I'm looking for some good recipe ideas to use some. I'm pretty psyched to brew with these as they smell amazing and it will be my first go at using whole leaf hops. Any info on the hop itself or suggestions on styles to use them in would be greatly appreciated!

Here is my " Hysteria" recipe, it's an hopped version of a belgian blonde ale:

rcp for 22 liters
OG : 1.068
IBU: 61
EBC: 13

Pale malt 5kg
flaked wheat 300 g
Candy sugar 1kg

Target (13% AA ) 35g --> 80min
Styrian Golding (3,6% AA) 30g --> 25min
Styrian Golding (3,6% AA) 40g --> 15min
Styrian Golding (3,6% AA) 45g --> 5min

orange peel 4 tbs -->15min
Coriander 3 tbs --> 15min

yeast: Wyeast Belgian ardennes

Excellent suggestions. I definitely want to do some english beers with this stuff. Gonna have to lay hands on some british yeasts this week (thinking WLP 002 or 005). I have been mulling over the thought of a belgian dubbel as well. Anyone know what the white labs equivilent to the ardennes yeast is? I know 570 is the golden strong aka 1388, I've been thinking of batching one of those as well using styrians.

I've used them in a saison and a hoppy saison. Both turned out pretty well. Also, they'll work in anything english.

I use them for my Belgians and Browns. Honker's Ale is all Styrian if you want to get a sense for the flavor.

Back