What to do with my Chugger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
Hey folks....I do AG BIAB, mainly 5.5 gal batches in a 15.5gal keggle on a Blichmann burner. I recently came in possession of a chugger pump and am looking for ways to utilize it. I chill with a simple IC, so maybe upgrade to plate? Whirlpool during chill? Pumping to fermenter? Anything that saves strain on my bad back is also appreciated. Look forward to some suggestions! TIA

I have a single pump on a two tier that I use to recirculate the wort after mashing to clarify it. I also use it post boil to whirlpool which really helps to keep hop debris and trub out of the fermenter. Then finally, I pump 30 feet, through a plate chiller and uphill to my fermenter. If I had to move 11 gallons in a fermenter, upstairs, I wouldn't be eager to brew

I chill with a simple IC, so maybe upgrade to plate? Whirlpool during chill? TIA

Whirlpooling with your IC will really speed up your chilling time. I was amazed at how much quicker i cooled my wort after adding a pump to my setup. Once I had a pump I also thought about a plate chiller but like the idea of getting "all" the wort cooling down at once instead of some of it having to wait in the kettle for it's turn to get pumped to the chiller. I'm sure I read somewhere that was trade off when goign to a plate chiller. Or, maybe I just made it up. Or dreamt it.

Todd

Latest posts

Back