Thinking of upgrading from 8 to 10 gallon kettle, worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
My current BIAB set up is an 8 gallon tall boy kettle that I use with a propane burner. I brew mainly IPA's/ NEIPA's. 13 lbs is about the biggest grain bills I brew with (I do 5 gallon batches for kegging). I have just about all the goodies a home brewer needs (fermentation chamber, stir plate, wort chiller, etc.). I'm looking at a Spike 10 gallon with 1 coupler(NPT fitting). I currently siphon out the wort after chilling and like the idea of just opening a valve to drain, plus I won't have to sit with a spray bottle of water and frantically adjust the heat when the boil starts. Is it worth it to upgrade to a 10 gallon kettle? Or should I look at upgrading some other piece of equipment? Any feedback would be appreciated. Happy Monday!

Just mash with less water.
You should be able to mash at around 1.5 qt of water per lb of grist (1.5 ratio) it should work very well. Then do one or 2 batch/dunk sparges in a tub or some other spare vessel with water. That water could be cold or warm. Doing the sparge(s) likely improves your mash efficiency too.

The extra 2 gallon difference when upgrading to a 10 gallon kettle is still not enough for a full volume BIAB.
On the other hand, 15 gallon kettles are a bit cumbersome, due to their size and weight, but will work well for 5-5.5 gallon batches full volume BIAB mashing.

For reference, my 8 gallon kettle is used for 5-5.5 gallon batches. However, I don't BIAB, I use a converted cooler mash tun, and batch sparge twice. I store the hot sparge water in a spare kettle or an igloo cooler/gott.

Now an 8 gallon kettle is indeed a tad small for a full volume all grain boil. To get around it, I keep some 3rd runnings behind, and add it bit by bit during the boil as I evaporate a good gallon over the hour boil. Or boil those last runnings down on separate burner, then combine at the end.

For me, a 2 gallon jump would not be worth the for the expense of a new kettle unless my setup was super annoying for me and I was limited on storage space.

The cost difference between 10 gallons and 15 gallons is probably $50 and you’d never be size limited for a 5 gallon brew.

It might be worth the upgrade. I probably agree with suggestions for a 15 gallon kettle if you are investing the money anyway into a quality kettle.

I do full volume mash in a 10 gallon kettle. I can get up to around a 1.065 or 1.070 beer. I have a little more room in my mash if I only do a 30 minute boil and I can push my gravity higher for beers with sugar added to the boil. When I have done bigger beers I just have to work in a sparge or lower my batch size.

I see the SS Brewtech "10 gallon" kettle is listed with a "10.7 gallon capacity". I am not positive exactly how much my kettle holds, but I feel like an extra gallon or two would give me enough room for just about anything I would brew (except for maybe a big imperial stout). I just don't see 12 gallon kettles listed.

(I do 5 gallon batches for kegging).
3X Rule.

If you are doing 5 gal batches then you really need a 15 gallon kettle to cover any possible scenario. Real high OG beers (1.100+ range) can take up almost 15 gallons full volume BIAB mash.

Otherwise you need to do stuff like adding sugar or DME or mashing thicker and sparging to make gravity & volume, etc. Nothing wrong with those methods but less than 3X and you will can hit certain obstacles that require work-arounds.

You can always use less volume for smaller beers but you can never go more than your kettle will hold.

The cost difference is negligible as is the physical size for storage. Side by side they don't look that much bigger but a little extra diameter and height holds a lot more than it appears.

Last edited:
On top of what's already posted, I suggest taking a better look at their kettles with TC fittings. IME, they're FAR easier to clean/take apart and have leak free. I went from all NPT fittings to [basically] all TC fittings in my system. If you're already doing BIAB, also look at getting the kettle setup so that you could easily change over to their eBIAB setup (with TC connections).

IMO, the cost difference to get the TC fittings is well worth spending.

Ended up going with the 15 gallon Spike kettle with NPT fittings. Looking forward to my first brew with it this weekend!

image000000 (4).jpg

My general rule of thumb is to use my 8G indoors and my 15G outdoors. I use the 8G indoors because it fits under the range hood with light and fan. If I switched it out for 10G I would need it to fit under. Otherwise, the extra capacity would be wonderful.

Ended up going with the 15 gallon Spike kettle with NPT fittings. Looking forward to my first brew with it this weekend!

View attachment 749095
good decision. The 15 is not really that much bigger when it comes to storing. I think it's pretty much the ideal "all-around" best size for BIAB. Plus you can store all your other stuff inside.

Back