What to do with a pound of CTZ hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NY_HomeBrew_Student

Reaction score
What should I do with the pound of CTZ hops? I have never used CTZ before but I have read plenty about it. My first instinct is do do a SMASH with it and figure out how I like the bittering and flavors provided.

Maybe something like this:

10 lbs 2 Row
1 oz CTZ (60 minute)
1 oz CTZ (5 minute or flameout)
1-3 oz CTZ (Dry hopped 3-7 days)

Mash 150F
Boil 60 Minutes

US-05 @ 65F

Has anyone had a successful SMASH with CTZ? Did you use 2 Row or Marris Otter? What yeast did you use?

From a lot of what I have read CTZ is used in IPA's. Has anyone used CTZ in other styles? Are there any commercial beers that use CTZ that I can seek out and try?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Can't wait to get started. :rockin:

Hops.jpg

keep them in the freezer and use them for your bittering 60min additions for your beers. It will be fine all year.

Personally I would not use them for flameouts or dry hops

My first instinct is do do a SMASH with it and figure out how I like the bittering and flavors provided.
IMO, your first instinct is correct.

10 lbs 2 Row
1 oz CTZ (60 minute)

Mash 150F
Boil 60 Minutes

US-05 @ 65F
sounds like a great recipe.

i'd go a little heavier on the late hops, use 2 or 3 ounces in the last 10 minutes (1 at 10, 1 at 5, 1 at flameout, skip the 5 min if you only want to use 2 oz). dry-hop with 3 ounces. i'd stick with two-row over MO.

CTZ is a pungent and somewhat "dank" hop that is great in american PA/IPA. not sure how many other styles i'd use it in late in the boil.

IMO, your first instinct is correct.

sounds like a great recipe.

i'd go a little heavier on the late hops, use 2 or 3 ounces in the last 10 minutes (1 at 10, 1 at 5, 1 at flameout, skip the 5 min if you only want to use 2 oz). dry-hop with 3 ounces. i'd stick with two-row over MO.

CTZ is a pungent and somewhat "dank" hop that is great in american PA/IPA. not sure how many other styles i'd use it in late in the boil.

This is pretty much what I did with my pound of CTZ from NikoBrew's 2012 batch. ;) I didn't do a smash, but I did use just the CTZ in a nice PA, and two different kinds of yeast.

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I'll probably go with something like this...

1oz 60 minutes
1oz 10
1oz flameout
1oz whirlpool at 180 for 20 minutes maybe

1oz dry-hop 7 days before bottling and 1oz dry-hop 3 days before bottling.

let me know how this turns out. I've got a few brews on the docket before i can do something like this, but i also bought a lb from Niko and have yet to crack it open

I've done columbus SMaSH IPAs twice. One with vienna, one with MO. Both were some of the best beers I've made. I tossed a healthy 6 ounces into each batch, including 2 oz at flameout and 2 oz dry hop.

What should I do with the pound of CTZ hops? I have never used CTZ before but I have read plenty about it. My first instinct is do do a SMASH with it and figure out how I like the bittering and flavors provided.

10 lbs 2 Row
1 oz CTZ (60 minute)

Mash 150F
Boil 60 Minutes

US-05 @ 65F

Has anyone had a successful SMASH with CTZ? Did you use 2 Row or Marris Otter? What yeast did you use?

From a lot of what I have read CTZ is used in IPA's. Has anyone used CTZ in other styles? Are there any commercial beers that use CTZ that I can seek out and try?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Can't wait to get started. :rockin:

this:
10 lbs 2 Row
8 oz CTZ (60 minute)
4 oz CTZ (5 minute or flameout)
"the rest" oz CTZ (Dry hopped 3-7 days)

bwahaaaghghggghhhhbrbrbrbbrrlllaaaaahhhh!!!

CTZ just stands for Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus....all thought to be basically the same hop.
Use it like you would Columbus. I've used it as a late addition as well as bittering and really like it. Throw a little Simcoe in there as a late addition.

My bottle of Phillips Zeus IPA says even tho Columbus tomohawk Zeus are all considered the same. Zeus is in fact genetically different. I must say tho different or not it did make a very interesting IPA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

this:
10 lbs 2 Row
8 oz CTZ (60 minute)
4 oz CTZ (5 minute or flameout)
"the rest" oz CTZ (Dry hopped 3-7 days)

bwahaaaghghggghhhhbrbrbrbbrrlllaaaaahhhh!!!

Ummm, Billy try this and let me know how it works for you.... :drunk:

Latest posts

Back