What to do in San Francisco?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M

Reaction score
Work takes me to San Francisco this week and provides me one free afternoon and evening.

Any suggestions for eats, drinks or sights?

I recommend Toronado. You could spend all your time at Toronado and not even try a quarter of the stuff they have on tap. And alot of it is one-off kegs that they get special from local micro breweries that you can't get elsewhere - ie. somethin special from Sierra Nevada or Speakeasy, etc.

If you want a change of scenery from there, 21st amendment is pretty cool also. Or take a tour of Anchor on your free afternoon. :)

I was out there last year and loved 21st amendment. In addition there's an amazing french place that I'm drawing a blank on the name - I'll try to update tomorrow. Take in a Giants game if you're into baseball, it's a beautiful stadium and they're pretty good this year.

Anchor brewery tours by reservation only, booked into June.
Giants at LA.
So it sounds like at some point it'll be Toronado and public transportation.

I kind of agree with the "you can drink anytime" dude.

Toronado is a great place no doubt. But there are tons of things to see.

free afternoon and evening: Depends on where you are and what the weather is doing. if it is foggy in the city, check out the Mission District or head east to Oakland (Beer revolution and the Trappist). But if the weather is ok, go check out Alcatraz, it's worth the tour. If the weather is really nice, walk across the golden gate bridge or get out to Ocean Beach and Golden Gate Park. You can walk from the beach to the Haight Ashbury district through the park. Check out the Academy of Sciences or Art Museum if you're into that or just keep walking. From there jump in a cab and go to Toronado and Rosamundo's, the sausage place next store.

The Mission is also cool, except for the hipsters. But good tacos and Zeitgeist is a reasonably cool bar with good beer.

whatever you do, if you have the afternoon and evening, you can definitely do some site seeing and end up at the Toronado or wherever in the evening.

If you go to SF, you have to get down to fisherman's wharf. Walk up (or better, down) Lombardi street, walk through chinatown.

Walk over the Golden Gate bridge, do the shops in Sausaulito, go to he wax musueum.

See the famous Griz at Brewcraft.

Drink beer.

Back