What the helles is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coontail

Reaction score
Sorry for the misleading title this doesn't have to do anything with a helles, I hope I didnt hurt anyone's feelings

Anyways... I designed my first extract recipe out of stuff I thought sounded good and came up with this for a 5 gallon batch

6.6# Wheat Liquid Extract
1# Wheat Dry Extract
12 oz Caraaroma
1 oz Tettnang 60 min
1 oz Fuggle 60 min
WLP051

What the helles is this??

It's fermenting right now and I'm hoping the Caraaroma isn't too sweet but I've narrowed it down to either an Irish Red Ale or just a plain jain Amber Ale

I would say a light Dunkelweizen if you used a different yeast, but maybe an American Amber Wheat!? LOL

Oh, and yes you did hurt my feelings! I love German Lagers! I'm not mad, just disappointed...

this doesn't have to do anything with a helles
Aww man, got all excited.

And helles is two syllables. HELL-ess
What the Helles this?

Anyway, looks like a cool wheat ale but I don't do extract. Is there some reason for using both LME and DME?

Last edited:
I came to this thread expecting a tasty Helles and instead got greeted with a wheat beer (my least favourite style). I am disappointed :(

Aww man, got all excited.

And helles is two syllables. HELL-ess
What the Helles this?

Anyway, looks like a cool wheat ale but I don't do extract. Is there some reason for using both LME and DME?
Dam I've been saying it wrong all this time!

LME is a little bit cheaper than DME so it keeps the cost down a bit and don't worry by the next couple of batches I'll be moving up to all grain but if not, at least partial mash

I came to this thread expecting a tasty Helles and instead got greeted with a wheat beer (my least favourite style). I am disappointed :(
I'm actually yet to ever make a lager but I remember seeing Gavin's helles and am very tempted to make it

I would say a light Dunkelweizen if you used a different yeast, but maybe an American Amber Wheat!? LOL

Oh, and yes you did hurt my feelings! I love German Lagers! I'm not mad, just disappointed...
Sweet! I'm working towards getting into lagers maybe the next batch I'll make a helles

Back