What taps do you recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODI3

Reaction score
I bought some perlick 525's years ago for my mini fridge kegorator/tower, but finding they leak and sometimes dont shut off.

I am looking to upgrade to new taps with autoclose springs. What non-flow control taps do you recommend these days and why? i dont really care about cost tbh. (i am planning on getting some flow control ball valves)

Perlick, rototap, intertap, ultratap? any other suggestions?

If there is already a thread about this, let me know, i didnt see one around.

I will do that. I still need 2 more taps and shanks to convert from tower to fridges

I have 2 Perlick 525ss and a 630ss. The 525ss are about 6 years old, the 630ss a year later. When I did my research they were the most highly regarded. I have not had a problem with them at all, but due to a move they have not been used for over 2 years. Time to set them up again. Unibrau All in One is in shipment.

I'm running 2 Inter tap SS flow controls. Been using for 3 years with no issues. I break them apart every year for a good cleaning. I'm about to get a 3rd so I recommend.
Never had Perlicks so can't compare but people who have padlocks love them. they were $15-$20 more than Intertaps.

fwiw, you can fit the Intertap return springs behind a 525, I've been running them in five first generation 525ss faucets for a couple of years and have been very pleased.

As well, I have never had leak issues with these faucets. If you fit them with fresh O-rings and set the bonnet tension properly, they just plain work.

If the OP decides to replace his 525, if they are the SS versions, drop me a PM. I'll fix 'em up and find someone to love them :)

Cheers!

I've got Rototap flow control, and I love them. They're really the Cadillac of faucets, but I get that a lot of people might find them too expensive and unnecessary. I had some extra bonus money a few years back, and said what the hell. All of the other faucets that are sited here are perfectly good. If you want a touch of class, and a great pour these have served me well.

I have 3 Inter taps two I have been using for just over two years and one for a year all flawless. I use the growler filler to bottle and that works well. Highly recommend!

I'd go with intertaps at this point in time. Flow control is good if you fill growlers or you can't get your system balanced for whatever reason. Cheers

I have 3 Perlick SS taps. 2 flow control one non flow control. All have worked flawlessly. I recently had to swap to a non FC for a pumpkin ale that had a heavy sediment load in the bottom of the tap, clogging the tap. Just plug into the front of the shank and pour away. (My fault because I screwed up the spice bill in the boil and had to re spice in the fementer.) I would recommend Perlick to anyone that asked me for a recommendation.

Back