New taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tegeberg

Reaction score
Hi all

So I am one of the lucky people with 6 Perlick 525 taps that are now not sealing properly and looks like there is not much to do about it (Perlick will not help as the model is discontinued). So it looks like I may have to soon invest in 6 new taps.

So since I have not bought beer taps for 10 years, what is the best product out there these days? I want a quality tap, stainless for sure but I do not need anything fancy. Do not need flow control as my system is well balanced. What is the best bang for the buck? My options from availability seem to be Perlick, Taprite, Nukatap and CM Becker.

Cheers,
Thomas

I can speak very highly of the Perlick 630SS as a worthy successor to the 525. I can also state that in my daily experience with them, the Nukatap are every bit as good (unless you've overcarbed, but even then the difference is negligable).
I will however tag @IslandLizard and @day_trippr in this thread (I can't remember which one..sorry guys ;) ) as, if my faulty memory recalls, one of those two has posted links to the rebuild parts you want. Yes, those links will be to US dealers where shipping is atrocious and you may get tagged with duty (although if you have it delivered via US Postal Service > Canada Post, they often waive the duty on purchases less than $150)... you can decide just how much your 525's continued use is worth to you. Personally, I'd take the cash hit and keep the 525's going.
:mug:

Perlick no longer sells maintenance parts for anything at retail, even their newest series faucets. They use an outside agent for that stuff. But I would think Perlick 525/575 rebuild kits could be sourced from CA without confiscatory costs as they are so easily found down here. Figure $4-5 US a set or whatever that comes to in Canada. There are sellers on eBay as well.

While the OP doesn't sound all that interested in keeping 525's alive, it would be sad if when one of their faucets has been removed and they look at it carefully and the epiphany on how to properly adjust them hits them right then - while the bought replacements are already on hand...

Cheers!

@day_trippr What about Chi-Company? (I think that's their name?). Don't they deal with the older faucets like Perlicks and the Ventmatics? I bought a faucet adapter for some Perlick 425s. If he can't properly adjust his faucets, maybe he could get a rebuild kit couldn't he?

If any of the above doesn't work out for you OP, then Nukatap would be my recommendation.

We had this same conversation not that long ago, search O-rings or something like that. I just purchased 525 O-ring sets from Amazon (US) but maybe you can snag them on the Canada version.

1680616254886.png

Why not replace just the O-rings? And maybe add an intertap spring?
As long as you don't need the plastic bearing cup(6) it should be easily rebuildable. The dash number of the o-rings listed below.
-906, -018 & -204
20230404_163419.jpg

Back