what specialty grain to use for "pale pale ale"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borealis

Reaction score
I am trying to make a beer similar to Saranac Pale Pale Ale. It's just a good, refreshing pale ale. My question is which specialty grain I should use. I will be using extract for the base, so I won't be using Maris Otter. Is there a specialty grain that would be better than others for this? Thanks.

Here is the description from their website:

Pale Pale Ale
Availability: 12 Beers of Summer 2010

Brewers Notes:

Finally a Pale Ale true to it's name! We've created a crisp, hoppy Pale Ale that is truly pale in color without sacrificing the hop character and malt balance you expect in an American Pale Ale. We've selected citrusy centennial hops balance by the background nuttiness of Maris Otter Malt. We think you'll find this the most refreshing Pale Ale you've ever had.

Beer Style: American Pale Ale
Malt Selections: Marris Otter
Hop Selections: Centennial
Color: Golden
Mouthfeel / Body: Light to Medium
Food Companions: Light Fair
Alcohol By Volume: 4.7%
Original Gravity: 11.75

That's an interesting suggestion--I didn't know that. Since it is pale in color, should I use something like a crystal 10 or a caramel pils for the specialty grain?

That's an interesting suggestion--I didn't know that. Since it is pale in color, should I use something like a crystal 10 or a caramel pils for the specialty grain?

I've never had that beer, so I can't tell you if you want a sweet crystal malt in there or not. Is there another beer you can compare it to?

If it's really "nutty" or toasty tasting, the way the description reads, you may want some toasted malt or victory malt.

I've never had that beer, so I can't tell you if you want a sweet crystal malt in there or not. Is there another beer you can compare it to?

If it's really "nutty" or toasty tasting, the way the description reads, you may want some toasted malt or victory malt.

Well, I haven't had it since July, so my recollection is just that I enjoyed it, not exactly sure about the nutty character. I guess I am just going to shoot for the vicinity of it, not really a dead ringer. The centennial was fairly pronounced, I think from late additions--not overly bitter.

Looking at the description I would say yes. Go light on the Crystal. 10 or maybe 20 and not much of it.

Are you steeping or doing a PM?

What type of extract are you using? If using a syrup, you might want to just skip any specialty malts as those syrups already contain some.

If you were doing a PM, you could sub out some of the extract for MO.

Thanks. That review kind of ripped on the beer. I can see what he is saying, but I want it just because it is an easy going pint with a nice hop aroma and flavor. Thanks for the advice everybody.

Based on what they indicate, they only use Maris Otter - no specialty grains at all - which makes sense for a "Pale Pale Ale". Adding crystal malt will add some sweetness probably not present in the commercial example. You might try using just extract as your base - obviously use a Maris Otter extract if you can find it, if not use an English pale ale extract. It will be difficult to mimic an all Maris Otter grist using just extract and steeping grains - perhaps steep something like Victory malt to add some of that nutty/biscuity flavor.

Thanks. That review kind of ripped on the beer. I can see what he is saying, but I want it just because it is an easy going pint with a nice hop aroma and flavor. Thanks for the advice everybody.

:off:

I've never had this beer, but I gotta say that is lamest review I have ever read. Two paragraphs touting about himself and just a couple of lines to say essentially nothing about the beer. Not everything has to be a complex work of art. Moron.

sorry that just kinda irked me.

I'd say just use extract and that's it. It seems like the beer is about letting the Centennial standout, So personally I wouldn't add anything that might get in the way.

maybe steep some C20/40 and some victory....tough to go wrong with victory in a pale ale if you ask me. Nice and crisp...maybe 1/2 pound of each.

I've had the Saranac Pale Pale, I'd go munton & fison light dry malt extract, steep 1/2lb of crushed victory and leave out the crystal. I may even consider doing a good portion of the DME as a late addition to keep the color as light as possible.

Back