what size grain-bag to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
Hi ,
I'm ordering some stuff for myself from northernbrewer.com , and I want to order some stuff for a friend of mine that wants to start brewing.
He already has some basic equipment.
I want to order a grain bag, to use for steeping 2-3lb of malt.
this is what they have:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/stirring-straining

are all of these "straining bags" good for malt mashing/steeping ?
which bag should I buy for this task ?

thanks

Go to Lowes/HD and pick up some 5gal paint strainer bags. They work great, come in a pack of 2, and are dirt cheap!

Sorry, I hadn't had my coffee yet! That Brewmaster Filter Bag looks almost exactly like the paint strainer bags that I use. It should have a fine enough mesh to keep most of your grain bits out of the wort.

guess I was confused myself...

what I'm really looking for is a bag for mini-mash.
it should hold about 5lb malt.

so... which ?

That should work for a partial mash as well. It's what I use when I do Extract w/Steeping Grains and Partial Mash. When I do BIAB All Grain I use a HUGE Swill Voile bag.

I'd get the largest grain bag they offer. Item No: 7319 Excess space makes for good circulation and efficiency. Fine mesh works for everything, including pellets. Buy two, one for grain, one for hops.

I'd get the largest grain bag they offer. Item No: 7319 Excess space makes for good circulation and efficiency. Fine mesh works for everything, including pellets. Buy two, one for grain, one for hops.

OK , thanks!

Back