What size fitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistercameron

Reaction score
I believe that is just a straight NPT thread. I am pretty sure they generally use 1/4" NPT for those connections, flare anywhere that a swivel barb goes. Take the pieces to home depot, they have a collection of thread types and sizes on a rack that you can use to verify your thread size/type.

I believe that is just a straight NPT thread. I am pretty sure they generally use 1/4" NPT for those connections, flare anywhere that a swivel barb goes. Take the pieces to home depot, they have a collection of thread types and sizes on a rack that you can use to verify your thread size/type.

Yeah - not the best luck with HD and Lowes. Seems they only have 1/4in barbs (or not carried at all). I'm thinking eBay is going to be where I go. Seems it shouldn't be so hard to find such integral parts.

So pretty much as long as I get 1/4" MPT x 5/16 barb I should be good to go?

The input side of the wye would use straight threads, but I've never seen a manifold or wye that was fitted with anything but 1/4" MFL threaded fittings for the output side.

I'd guess they sent the wrong swivel nuts.

How would you plumb something with straight pipe threads?
They don't make straight threaded flare connectors...

Cheers!

Yeah - not the best luck with HD and Lowes. Seems they only have 1/4in barbs (or not carried at all). I'm thinking eBay is going to be where I go. Seems it shouldn't be so hard to find such integral parts.

What are you trying to do exactly? Maybe take a picture of the whole distributor and wye so we can see what you are working with. Where do you want the wye? One of my dual body regulators has a wye threaded to each body. For the distributor, it looks like they provided a 1/4" NPT to 1/4" NPT couple, rather than a 1/4" NPT to 1/4" or 5/16" barb. I assume the other end has a plug?

Lhbs in your area? Mine carries a lot of those hard to find parts,

The LHBS is great, but sell the kits. The Beverage Factory is local, but I can't make it in during business hours (not sure they stock exactly what I'm looking for anyway).

The input side of the wye would use straight threads, but I've never seen a manifold or wye that was fitted with anything but 1/4" MFL threaded fittings for the output side.

Yes - I only need the input fittings. Maybe they misunderstood what I was looking for (though I was very specific about the gas INPUT fitting). Before today I didn't realize that flare and pipe thread sizes were actually different, otherwise I wouldn't have ordered those two swivel flares. :-/ . I thought those nylon washers were to allow a pipe to flare connection. Also wrong.

Oh well.

How would you plumb something with straight pipe threads?
They don't make straight threaded flare connectors...

Cheers!

The wye body itself is all 1/4" NPT, female and male, and a distributor body will be the same. You thread in valves which are 1/4" NPT to 1/4" flare output, or 1/4" NPT to barb fittings.

Blank Wye

Yes - I only need the input fittings. Maybe they misunderstood what I was looking for (though I was very specific about the gas INPUT fitting). Before today I didn't realize that flare and pipe thread sizes were actually different, otherwise I wouldn't have ordered those two swivel flares. :-/ . I thought those nylon washers were to allow a pipe to flare connection. Also wrong.

The nylon tailpiece washers are for sealing flare fittings. Pop one into the swivel barb before threading it onto the valve or wherever. Don't need them for quick disconnects since they already have the plastic tip on them. If you are not very familiar with the different thread types in can be confusing at first. Once you get it, you're good.

That should be good. I would try Ace Hardware or True Value. They typically have a much better selection of brass fittings.

What are you trying to do exactly? Maybe take a picture of the whole distributor and wye so we can see what you are working with. Where do you want the wye? One of my dual body regulators has a wye threaded to each body. For the distributor, it looks like they provided a 1/4" NPT to 1/4" NPT couple, rather than a 1/4" NPT to 1/4" or 5/16" barb. I assume the other end has a plug?

I have my 2 regulators with check valves that have hoses leading to one wye and one manifold. The manifold was ordered as an upgrade and didn't come with the barb (didn't realize that when ordering). The eye had the barn in the gas in but I must have over tightened it - it developed a crack along the threads. The manifold has a plug. All I need is the gas fittings.

From what I'm reading here, I'm good to go in the 1/4" FPT threads (will probably replace the nipple on the manifold with a male barb. In my pics below I'm pointing to the part I need (note that is the broken barb). It fits both wye and manifold perfectly.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421005227.053031.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421005244.797089.jpg

Thanks guys!

The wye body itself is all 1/4" NPT, female and male, and a distributor body will be the same. You thread in valves which are 1/4" NPT to 1/4" flare output, or 1/4" NPT to barb fittings.

Yes - that was my point. It still isn't clear that the OP bought a bare wye casting and was building a splitter himself, but any store-bought wye (or manifold, for that matter) I've seen had/has the ball valves already installed, so the output connections are all flare...

Cheers!

From what I'm reading here, I'm good to go in the 1/4" FPT threads (will probably replace the nipple on the manifold with a male barb. In my pics below I'm pointing to the part I need (note that is the broken barb). It fits both wye and manifold perfectly.

Looks good to me. You could also remove one of your regulator valves and thread the wye straight in. As such:

DSCF2857.jpg

You could then add the extra check valve to your distributor (replace the plug), and have another CO2 outlet for another keg, or a spot to tie into for purging kegs before filling, etc. That's what I did below:

DSCF2860.jpg

Looks good to me. You could also remove one of your regulator valves and thread the wye straight in. As such:

You could then add the extra check valve to your distributor (replace the plug), and have another CO2 outlet for another keg, or a spot to tie into for purging kegs before filling, etc. That's what I did below:

View attachment 248081

I considered the wye on the regular, but I'm probably going to end up putting my gas outside the keezer I'm building right now. At the moment my plans are for 3 on normal beer PSI, and at least one keg for carbonated water, plus the extra QD for my carbonator cap.

Ultimately I want to put these through the collar for my gas lines: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f252/fridgenstein-side-side-kegerator-fermentation-chamber-289241/index3.html#post6527701

Back