What kind of "flare" fitting is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Irish Red!

Reaction score
Hi, I have a CO2 manifold with four ball-check 1/4" male pipe to 1/4" flare but the flare is rounded off flat or blunt. There's no actual cone, it is just a rounded end. What's it called? Is it okay to use these fittings with the flare hose ends? Many thanks for any help.

Greetings, Red! And welcome to the forums at Homebrew Talk :mug:

You are looking at what we refer to as 1/4" MFL threaded valves, to which you would screw on a 1/4" swivel nut and barb - remembering there is a "fisheye" nylon washer that needs to go between.

The fittings and the washer look like these...

1697758189997.png

Alternatively you can use "push to connect" adapters that would let you easily use barrier tubing like EVABarrier. These have integrated sealing surfaces and don't require the fisheye washer. This is what I'm using for both beer and gas...

1697758417530.png

Cheers!

Hmm...never ran into a manifold shut-off valve like that one.
I wonder if it was purpose-built for some application that doesn't use the hardware we're used to using...

Are they all like that, or is that one unique? Looks like it might have just slipped through a step in the machining process.
My first impression when I saw it was a schrader valve of some sort, but if it doesn’t have any internal threads or anything, that’s probably not it. They usually have a flare type profile too.

Last edited:
While not quite the same but loosely similar, I have a Harris regulator that uses cylinder nipples with rounded profile seat/seal.

Screenshot_20231021-023740_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
I went to a wholesale beverage place. They did not have a name for the little round-nose fitting but said it works with the female flare fittings using a plastic bevel washer.

Back