What should wort taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stungry

Reaction score
I love IPAs, so that's what I usually brew. Anyways, after taking readings I taste the wort (OH WORT!, you are so close to being beer). It's not bad...but, it always tastes much better when it's carbonated, cold, and done fermenting.

So, here's the question: What should wort taste like before it is done?Obviously, it should taste as much like beer as it possibly can, but is there anything else that you guys all try to pick up when you are tasting wort?

Sweet.

I taste to see how it seems to me and compare that to the finished product (and to the green uncarbed beer) in my notes.

I note how the hops came across. Strong? Bitter? Floral Medicinal?

Any weird flavors? sour, metallic, funky?

Usually it is sweet, floral and bitter on an IPA.

I love the process of brewing, and I enjoy the smells and flavors of most of the steps.

pre fermentation, yeah crazy sweet and usually crazy bitter. By late krausen it should taste like yeasty flat beer.

It won't really taste like beer. The sweetness of the malt sugars will bring out the bittering. So, taste and take notes. After a while, you'll have a handle on predicting the taste of the final product.

Back