What should I do with a 13+% cyser thats too sweet...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeranis

Reaction score
Mixed up a cyser near a month ago...

1 gallon organic apple juice from whole foods
2.75lbs honey again from whole foods
nottingham yeast
1 tsp of energizer and activator

og 1.145
fg 1.040

13+% abv and too sweet.

I figure if I could find a dry cider I could mix 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon of it with the cyser to get the abv down near 7% and the sweetness also lower.

Why not try adding a couple of gallons of juice to your cyser and letting it ferment. Probably have to pitch new yeast since the abv was so high. You could also make another batch without adding anything and when it's done fermenting mix the two together. You wouldn't even need I backsweeten or prime if you want to bottle carb.

Why not try adding a couple of gallons of juice to your cyser and letting it ferment. Probably have to pitch new yeast since the abv was so high. You could also make another batch without adding anything and when it's done fermenting mix the two together. You wouldn't even need I backsweeten or prime if you want to bottle carb.

I think a body would have a heck of a time getting a 13% cyser to start. Maybe if you drop it onto a really healthy yeast cake of a strong yeast (ec1118 or the like)

If that doesn't work I'd blend as you suggested earlier.

Any suggestions on what to blend with, and what sg to aim for?

I recently blended a spiced apple wine with niagara lime and had what I and a good friend thought was probably the best blend to date. It is one of the easiest wines to make and requires just a run to grocery store.

Though you could always just bottle what you have when it is time and grab a bottle to blend at will. Or consider oaking or spicing what you have now. If you made another gallon of a 4% ACV dry cider you would be at 8.5% as a result of blending the two.

I think I may take another gallon of the same juice and ferment it dry like you said. However a quick search says the initial gravity of that juice is around 1.05 which would still be 6+% when dry. Mixing the two together would end at 9.5%... eek!

I have a 12% cyser that has this problem. I used a Saison yeast and I should have read the stats of the yeast more closely. It maxed out at the specified alcohol tolerance.

It makes a great dessert wine. I pour a 4 - 6 ounce cup and sip it after I put my daughter to bed.

Back