What should I add for sweeter taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintdanmic

Reaction score
So far, my favorite beer is Franziskaner. I've tried several wheat beers and other beers labelled Bavarian or Belgian Wheat. None of these has the same subtle sweet full flavor that I get from a Franziskaner.

My LHBS says he has a guy who swears by adding about an inch of a liqourice stick to every batch for a fuller subtle sweet flavor. So I bought a stick but am too nervous about using it.

Anyone have any ideas of recipes or additives that are similar to the Franziskaner flavor?

Saintdanmic said:
So far, my favorite beer is Franziskaner. I've tried several wheat beers and other beers labelled Bavarian or Belgian Wheat. None of these has the same subtle sweet full flavor that I get from a Franziskaner.

My LHBS says he has a guy who swears by adding about an inch of a liqourice stick to every batch for a fuller subtle sweet flavor. So I bought a stick but am too nervous about using it.

Anyone have any ideas of recipes or additives that are similar to the Franziskaner flavor?

Franzi isn't terribly sweet, just substantially malty and full-bodied, which comes across as sweeter on the palate. If I were you, I'd ditch the liquorice and save it for a stout. Instead, I'd use liberal amounts of carapils/caramunich in my mash...or, if you happen to be extract brewing, throw some maltodextrin powder and/or lactose into the boil.

Back