What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering how long would a 5G batch of starsan be "good" for? I follow the directions on the bottle, that I think it was 1oz to 5 G of water, in a 5G pail. but I was wondering how long that would stay effective, in a sealed pail?

I was just curious what everyone elses practices are?

thanks,

I test mine occasionally; as long as pH is <=3 it's still "good". I really only change it if it gets cloudy, or I screw up and get bits of grain/hops in it, but I probably don't technically have to do that. Keep in mind that with harder water, cloudiness is not a good indicator. But pH is really supposed to be the real determinant of effectiveness with StarSan. See, for instance, THIS post.

I keep mine 2 to 3 weeks

I test mine occasionally; as long as pH is <=3 it's still "good". I really only change it if it gets cloudy, or I screw up and get bits of grain/hops in it, but I probably don't technically have to do that. Keep in mind that with harder water, cloudiness is not a good indicator. But pH is really supposed to be the real determinant of effectiveness with StarSan. See, for instance, THIS post.

awesome info guys, thanks soo very much.

my first two batches a guy from my homebrew group told me that i had some "wild fermentation" going on...so i needed to check my process, and find where the issue is, to not have the "vanilla flavors" in all of my brews.

I've made Ed Worts Haus Pale Ale now, and I'm hoping this one will be good.

thanks again,

For PBW the directions on the side say "CIP" 100-160 35m, but do I need that for my homebrew 2.5 gal pot? I don't need to clean this thing in place; it's just a pot.

There's some stuff stuck on the bottom where the burners have burnt some dextrose that I can't scrub out -- should I heat up some solution or just let it set overnight? Can I hurt the pot if I heat it up/let it set? It's stainless.

Thanks for the list.

Not familiar with imperial measure. what does 1c/5gal mean?
1cup? Merci!

Yes Maximum 1 cup for 5 gallons. Pay attention to the directions/ recommendations regarding water temperature as well. It really helps for me when I have stubborn and stuck trub.

I've been warmed against using chlorine (bleach) as it can affect my stainless steel and can also leave a bad taste if not thouroughly rinsed. I live in Peru, so no access to PBW, sta san, isodophor, etc. Not even access to Oxyclean.
How can I make my own cleaners/sanitizers?

Is it plausible to use rum with 42.8% alcohol for sanitising? As I have already used vodka few times and it does the job, but wanted to know about rum ?

Hi there first time on here so forgive any stupid questions. I'm ready to bottle tomorrow and basically I don't want to make the same mistake as last time. I thought I rinsed out the bottles properly but I'm doubting my self due to a chemically taste to the coppers lager. Im now on a northern brown ale. I have switched to vwp steriliser I know it's 2-3 teaspoon per gallon of water but I have 40 bottles so I don't think I need that much water. how much water and vwp should I use for 40 bottles.

Hi there first time on here so forgive any stupid questions. I'm ready to bottle tomorrow and basically I don't want to make the same mistake as last time. I thought I rinsed out the bottles properly but I'm doubting my self due to a chemically taste to the coppers lager. Im now on a northern brown ale. I have switched to vwp steriliser I know it's 2-3 teaspoon per gallon of water but I have 40 bottles so I don't think I need that much water. how much water and vwp should I use for 40 bottles.

If'n it was me, i would buy a brute trash can from ho depot.

using 1 cup of bleach per 5 gallons of water, i would fill the trash can about 1/2 way.

then i would put my bottles in the trash can . put the lid on and let then get all happy and clean.

i would also, take a 2x6 board about 2' long, and put a nail in it

about 4'' apart. put that in the trash also.

put the 2x6 on the table, put the bottles upside down on the nails

let dry

others may have different ideas d (1).gif

My first post here. Great forum!

Planning to ask my sis to get Star San from the US when coming to India but looks like they cannot carry it? Should not be shipped by air?

Should be fine if she puts it in a checked bag. You're not supposed to ship it, but then you're not supposed to ship beer either and plenty of people do.

Should be fine if she puts it in a checked bag. You're not supposed to ship it, but then you're not supposed to ship beer either and plenty of people do.

Hey, thanks for the reply. And yes, many people have put it in their checked luggage. But I've decided to not to ask her to get it - too corrosive and don't want to be adding to anyone's troubles.

Never use chlorine bleach on stainless steel, it will stain it...I did it once on accident, can't get the stains out with Barkeepers Friend.

That will leave such a bleachy residue on bottles, you will end up with carbonated & chlorinated alcohol.

I think it's something like 1 oz. per 5 gal. will make it safe to drink, so would probably want that concentration. Just let them sit over nite, and that should kill most microbes. At least a few hours.

I use Star San, and just keep transferring from one plastic pail to the next. As long as you see foam when you transfer it, it should. I'll do 4 or 5 batches per mix, and I get no contamination.

Plus, as soon as you drain a container, you can fill it with beer. No drying needed.

Can you use the pink food grade sanitizer from Sma's club? Its for food grade surfaces, no rinse, and for dishes
1 gallon makes 32 gallons of sanitizer

Sams Club has Proforce sanitizer for food surfaces will this work for sanitizing wine making equipment?

I've never heard of a home brewer using this product.

Starsan is the recommended no-rinse sanitizer, specially formulated for the brewing industry. It's pretty much odor and taste free. Assisted by a surfactant the phosphoric acid (low pH) kills the micro organisms. Apparently one can drink a quart of the working solution without any harmful effects. Which of the other available sanitizers could you safely drink a quart of? Spraying down a prep table is not the same as putting a gallon into a brew bucket, sponging or swishing it around, dumping it back into the holding vessel and then filling it with wort.

Hi , everyone

I am new user but not new brewer. Still not that experienced one

I made dozen of batch and always used bleach+vinegar mix for utensil and bottle cleaning.
Now I have a new fermenter which look like attached ..

I read all posts on this topic about bleach but couldnt find any answer for this

1) I wanna ask if bleach and vinegar mix would be unhealthy for this fermenter for cleaning and sanitizing ?
2) And why do I need special cleaner if i would use sanitizer ? It is killing all the bacteries anyway ?

Thanks

musluklu-mayalanma-kovasi1-opt90.jpg

Cleaning is not the same as sanitizing. You need to clean first (think of getting mud clumps, or dried krausen, off your stuff) and then sanitize. Large clumps of stuff very well might not get completely sanitized if not cleaned off first.

Hi , everyone

I am new user but not new brewer. Still not that experienced one

I made dozen of batch and always used bleach+vinegar mix for utensil and bottle cleaning.
Now I have a new fermenter which look like attached ..

I read all posts on this topic about bleach but couldnt find any answer for this

1) I wanna ask if bleach and vinegar mix would be unhealthy for this fermenter for cleaning and sanitizing ?
2) And why do I need special cleaner if i would use sanitizer ? It is killing all the bacteries anyway ?

Thanks

Do NOT mix bleach and vinegar. Bleach combined with any weak acid will dissociate the chlorine. Chlorine gas is bad. Seriously. Buy some oxiclean for cleaning and star san for sanitizing, and don't die.

Edit: this goes double for ammonia, which can produce hydrazine when mixed with bleach. That stuff could kill you and others, as it's explosive at the right concentration.

Do NOT mix bleach and vinegar. Bleach combined with any weak acid will dissociate the chlorine. Chlorine gas is bad. Seriously. Buy some oxiclean for cleaning and star san for sanitizing, and don't die.

Edit: this goes double for ammonia, which can produce hydrazine when mixed with bleach. That stuff could kill you and others, as it's explosive at the right concentration.

Ohh thank you for explanation :mug:

But actually i did before this mixture but of course i didnt mix them directly.
First 20 lt of water then 1 cap of bleach and 1 cap of vinegar into the water.

Would this mixture ruin my bucket ? Which was on the last post.

I would never use vinegar for fear that whatever bugs make vinegar would find its way into my equipment. Am I crazy?

There are 2 more things I found for cleaning or sanitizing .. But I just read them somewhere so I am not sure about them thats why I wanted to ask here ..

Is Hydrogen peroxide (%50) can be used for sanitizing ?
-What should be the amount of mixture ?
-Is it No-rinse ?

Is Povidone-iodine (%10) can be used for sanitizing ?
-Is it No-rinse ?

I made a DIY shower cleaner with bleach and vinegar. There was an immediate fog, burning eyes, burning throat and coughing. I guess I am lucky to be alive.

There are 2 more things I found for cleaning or sanitizing .. But I just read them somewhere so I am not sure about them thats why I wanted to ask here ..

Is Hydrogen peroxide (%50) can be used for sanitizing ?
-Is it No-rinse ?

Is Povidone-iodine (%10) can be used for sanitizing ?
-Is it No-rinse ?

Neither is no rinse, not sure about concentrations or effectiveness of either but you do not want to invest hydrogen peroxide or iodine. Just get star san or another brewer's sanitizer, the cost difference isn't worth the risk to make your own.

Neither is no rinse, not sure about concentrations or effectiveness of either but you do not want to invest hydrogen peroxide or iodine. Just get star san or another brewer's sanitizer, the cost difference isn't worth the risk to make your own.

I actually had a decent comments about iodine but still i am not sure about dilution process ..
And star san not easy to find here .. I am not living in Usa

After all I am feeling that i will use bleach again which actually I dont want.

What about potassium metabisulfite ? I read somewhere people having problem about fermantation after using this but so many people recommend it.

You could use blah and THEN vinegar, or vice versa, but rinse well between applications and do not mix them. I have no experience with potassium metabisulfate.

Can you get Iodophor? This is an iodine based sanitizer. Following the instructions, this is a no-rinse sanitizer that is extremely effective if you can't find Starsan. Bleach is a bad idea, because you have to rinse afterwards thus potentially undoing the sanitization.

I actually had a decent comments about iodine but still i am not sure about dilution process ..
And star san not easy to find here .. I am not living in Usa

After all I am feeling that i will use bleach again which actually I dont want.

What about potassium metabisulfite ? I read somewhere people having problem about fermantation after using this but so many people recommend it.

Here is an article that discusses using bleach as a no-rinse sanitizer by using a low concentration: http://www.brewingnews.com/greatlakes/9710/homebrew0.html
I've never tried it, so can't give it a personal recommendation. I understand there are test strips for checking the concentration. I think these would be necessary since bleach looses potency over a period of months, so you would never really know the true concentration. I think Star San is way better, but you might try this if you can't get Star San or Iodophor.

Would OxyClean Whitening work OK for cleaning? Any reason NOT to use it? I've used Oxy Free, but never the whitening. Just got some for a tough stain on some clothes, so I thought I might try that. :)

Would OxyClean Whitening work OK for cleaning? Any reason NOT to use it? I've used Oxy Free, but never the whitening. Just got some for a tough stain on some clothes, so I thought I might try that. :)

It depends what the "whitening" agent is. Could be bleach (powder). Look at the ingredients list.

It depends what the "whitening" agent is. Could be bleach (powder). Look at the ingredients list.

Not sure what the "whitener" is, but it does give the standard warning to keep out of eyes and don't swallow it. I'm guessing as long as I do a thorough rinse, I should be fine. :)

Edit: Found the MSDS sheet for this product. It has Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Percarbonate, Sodium polycarboxylate, Alpha Amylase, & Ethxylated alchohol C12-C16

Not sure what the "whitener" is, but it does give the standard warning to keep out of eyes and don't swallow it. I'm guessing as long as I do a thorough rinse, I should be fine. :)

Edit: Found the MSDS sheet for this product. It has Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Percarbonate, Sodium polycarboxylate, Alpha Amylase, & Ethxylated alchohol C12-C16

The Sodium polycarboxylate component is the "whitening" agent, commonly used in laundry detergents. It's a dispersant for soils (dirt), removing them and preventing redeposition. This keeps materials (e.g., fabrics) from graying (caused by redeposition), so they stay "whiter."

Alpha Amylase breaks down starches as we know so well.

Alcohol ethoxylates (AE) are a class of non-ionic surfactants, allowing the detergents access to the surfaces to be cleaned.

So, yes, this product includes some extra cleaners and can be used instead of regular "Oxi-Clean," with the same precautions as to skin contact, splashing in the eyes and ingesting.

The O2 active ingredient in these "Oxi-Clean" products is Sodium Percarbonate, so the higher percentage it contains, the more oxygen you'll get. PBW contains less than 25% of it and claims to give 4-5% O2, however that's measured. O2 breaks down proteins and carbon deposits.

I purchased a 1 gallon bottle of animal iodine wound wash from the farm supply. 1/4 oz per gallon of water is what I use. It comes in a brown plastic bottle and I added a pump also. In the 5 years that I have been using it I have never had an infection. On brew day I make 3-4 gallon batch and soak everything in it and also slosh in the tun and kettle. It was $ 10 or so back then. At 77 I will never use 1/2 of it.

This might be the best place to pose this question. Does Star San have an expiration date? I have been using the same bottle of Star San and for several years, and it seems to be just fine! But, I got to wondering this week as I was Brewing if I should be looking for a new bottle. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with Star San going bad?

This might be the best place to pose this question. Does Star San have an expiration date? I have been using the same bottle of Star San and for several years, and it seems to be just fine! But, I got to wondering this week as I was Brewing if I should be looking for a new bottle. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with Star San going bad?

As far as I know as long as the pH is under 3 it is still good. There are test strips that can test pH

Back