Home brew kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotzfresser

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m new to Homebrew Talk, but I’ve been brewing home brew kits for decades now, and I’ve tried every type of bottle for secondary fermentation.
I brew 40 pints (22 litres) at a time, and I have settled on the most convenient method of bottling.
I use 2 litre PET bottles (11 bottles per 22 litres), and I have discovered the best way to sterilise your bottles.
After trying a lot of expensive sterilising chemicals, I finally opted for a cheap, and excellent sterilising solution: THIN BLEACH MIXED WITH COLD water (not to be confused with toilet thick bleach).
You are probably thinking: BLEACH?
Admittedly, bleach is the enemy of beer, but as long as you remove all traces of your sterilising solution, you have nothing to worry about.
First of all:
For your fermentation vessel, use a half and half solution of thin bleach and COLD water.
In order to remove all traces of your half and half mixture of thin bleach and COLD water (and by the way, the amount of this half and half solution is about a pint, slosh the solution around your fermentation vessel and; leave to sterilise!
When you wish to make a brew:
Pour the sterilising solution down the drain!
Use hot water to rinse out your fermentation vessel.
A final rinse with boiling water is optional, but I do use a kettle of boiling water (poured down the sides of the fermentation vessel while turning the vessel) to make sure that no bleach remains.

For your 2 litre PET bottles, after half filling your bottle with COLD water, pour a glug of thin bleach into the bottle, and top the bottle up with COLD water.
Leave to sterilise!
When it comes to bottling your brew, empty the solution down the drain, and rinse your bottles with very warm water a couple of times.
Bottle your brew within half an hour of rinsing.

Last edited:
Back