what regulator to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straycat

Reaction score
i've been kegging for several years with an old regulator a buddy gave me. i'm looking to get a new regulator and i'm not sure what make/model to buy. i typically only have 1 keg on tap at a time but would like to be able to serve 2. i haven't decided yet if i want a dual regulator setup or if i'll go the path of a manifold etc. any thoughts or links to products you'd recommend are greatly appreciated. thanks!

I just got my kegerator kit the other day and haven't gotten a chance to set it up yet, but I made sure to get the dual body regulator. I can't speak from actual experience here yet, but I'd like to think I did an okay job in the research dept. on what to get. Depending on how much space you have available, you may want to even go with a 3 body one. That way you can be carbing 1 keg and have the other 2 going, each set for the proper carb level for the style.

If you aren't worried about matching carbonation with style, then the single body would probably work fine.

If you keep your tank in the fridge the seconf gauge (the one telling you how full your tank is) is useless... it'll read near empty all the time... just something to keep in mind

Get a dual-gauge with an adjustment knob that doesn't require a screwdriver. I don't keep my tank inside the fridge, so I can't comment on that, but the high-pressure gauge has been useful.

I am using a 2 regulator system. I have one running to the fridge at 5-7psi and one to kegs outside the fridge at 22-27psi.

Since the temps are 35 inside the fridge and 68 outside, I need the dual to keep the volumes the same. I can set 3 in the fridge and 4 outside, and set it and forget it.

Personally I prefer to spend the extra money on the micromatics with the nice large adjustment knob over the little screw. This one from the bevarage factory looks very nice and similar to the micromatics. http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-Product-Pr...373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e60600515

Remember you can always add more regulator bodies and manifolds later on to whatever you buy.

+1. Really, its a couple of bucks in the big picture. Lose a tank of gas, and you'll think that it would have been worth it.

i would go with two regulators off the bat.

otherwise, both beers are going to be at the same carb level. PITA if you have a wheat and a porter on at the same time...

taprite are great.

I've never really had much problems having 2 different beers on at the same pressure level. Maybe the carbonation in each isn't ideal, but it's not enough of a problem to cause any issues with drinking it. I have a barleywine and a pale ale on now and they are both fine.

As for how to add on you just buy a secondary regulator that doesn't have a keg connection and you connect it to your primary where the high pressure guage port is or connect it up with a barb and some hose. If you take a look at how a double regulator is put together you will probably see how it works.

Back