What piece of equipment do you wish you bought earlier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
Hey everyone, trying to enlist the help of some long-timers here.

I've been saving up some $$$ in my homebrew fund the past few months. It's not much ($100), but it's more than I usually have to play with at any one time. I have hops bursting out of my freezer and plenty of base and specialty malts, so I don't really need a lot of ingredients at this point. I was thinking of buying a new piece of equipment, but I'm pretty comfortable with my process at this point and unsure what direction to go.

Is there anything you would recommend to somebody who's been brewing 2+ years that you wish you would have purchased sooner?

Here's my current setup and what I'm working with from an equipment standpoint.

Brew/Mash: I brew almost exclusively 3-gallon batches. I BIAB on my stovetop in a 5-gallon aluminum kettle I got in my starter kit way back. I do have a burner and a 10-gallon kettle, but I have not used it for brewing, as I prefer 3-gallon batches.

Wort Chilling: I have a 50' stainless steel wort chiller that gets the job done. I hook it up to my sink and let the water run through it, so it's not the most environmental-friendly or cost-efficient way to use it.

Fermentation: I have a few buckets, a 5-gallon glass carboy and a 3-gallon glass carboy that I rotate. I have one temp-control setup with an Inkbird and a Fermwrap. That setup has worked wonders so far, though I do not have a way to cold-control fermentation -- only heat-control with the Fermwrap.

Bottling: Standard bottling bucket, auto-siphon and two-hand capper. No keg setup, as I don't even know where to begin with that.

Other: I grind with a hand-crank Corona mill, and I don't mind the effort that requires. I have a knockoff "pen-type" thermometer and another infrared thermo, both of which are moderately accurate.

Nothing else really major outside of that. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

I would say you'd want to put your $ toward better control of fermentation temperatures.

I picked up a large(ish) wine fridge for $75 on Craigslist. I bypassed the built-in temperature controller, and wired up an ITC-1000 controller. I like having the ability to cold crash.

It sounds like you are largely satisfied with your kit, which is refreshing! If you like to be thrifty, do you re-use yeast? If you consider doing that, you could get yourself an Erlenmeyer flask, a stir plate, and a small case of Ball Mason jars to make starters.

Kegging and true ferm temp control are the best cold side improvements you can make, but $100 doesn't get one very far into those areas. Hence my alternate suggestion.

Last edited:
Jaded Hydra. I spent probably half its cost making a DIY copper chiller with fittings to work with my keggle, and ultimately I get fed up with it and splurged. I over-chilled a batch this weekend on accident - that's never happened to me before.

Look for a tall dorm-style refrigerator. You can find them used on Craigslist or, if there's a college or university in your area, look for graduating seniors to sell them in about a month or so.

If you go to larger batches you should be able to get a 5-gallon fermenter in there. I do:

minifermchamber.jpg

And, frankly, any refrigerator will do; the small ones just fit into spaces better. :)

Last edited:
the only thing I see is added fermentation control: since your batches are smaller, you might be able to utilize a dorm type mini fridge from Craigslist and stay within budget

being able to precisely control the fermentation temp, and to a lesser the ability to cold crash, was a huge game changer in my ability to produce (and reproduce) stellar beers

Maybe eventually a bigger, better crusher/grinder that can be adapted to a power source. I used to enjoy hand-cranking "Old-World" style too, until my wife got me the "Barley Crusher Malt Mill" (~$149. retail) for a gift. Love the adjustable roller settings for different sizes/types/roasts of grains being crushed. I attach a 1/2" drill; hopper takes ~10# of grain at a time. I can crush a batch's-worth of grain in less than a couple minutes. Don't miss the "Old World" arm/shoulder fatigue.

Here's the mini version of what you need for kegging. Start with a very cheap (or free!) used refrigerator, something in which you can fit a couple cornelius kegs (corny kegs) and a CO2 tank.

You need: a corny keg or two, a regulator (get the two-gauge type), a CO2 tank, a gas line to a quick disconnect for the gas side, and for serving a picnic tap. And maybe a nylon washer for the regulator/tank connection.

That is exactly what I started with, and you can serve directly out of there with the picnic tap. Cost: used corny kegs are about $50, a 5# CO2 tank between $35 (used) and $67 (new), a dual-gauge regulator (Taprite is a good brand, about $50), picnic tap about $10 or less, tubing, two worm clamps, and QD for the gas side from regulator to keg, about $7.

So...if you get the fridge for free or cheap, you're into kegging for not a whole lot more than $165...which is within the ballpark of where your budget is now. Save a bit more, sell off a couple things you don't need any more, whatever, and there you are, kegging.

Here's my original setup:

k2.jpg

And, over time, you can end up here, 5 taps, menu, glass rinser and all:

keezerandmenu.jpg

I gotta add a +1 to @LittleRiver 's suggestion of ferm temp control. Repurpose an old fridge, or dorm fridge with some 2" insulation board box build around it, and a $30 inkbird or STC+ or similar for simple temp control.

I'd also vote temp control but definitely put kegging #2 on your list when you have more funds down the road. The thing is since you do smaller batches(I do as well) you could very easily also FERMENT in your kegs which has been a total gamechanger for me. So easy to keep O2 out and also to clean when you're done. I guess it depends on what styles you brew, if it's heavier stuff like stouts and porters you may not notice a huge change but if you're brewing a lot of IPAs going to kegging will help immensely.

Thanks everyone. This is a dumb question, but if I were to find a refrigerator or chest freezer, how would I implement that into my current setup? Would I plug the power cord from the fridge into the "cool" outlet in my Inkbird, run my Fermwrapped-fermenter into the fridge and let the Inkbird turn on/off the fridge? Or would it even be necessary to use the Fermwrap at that point?

Also, is there any danger to burning out the compressor on the refrigerator with the constant on/off cycle using the Inkbird?

Thanks everyone. This is a dumb question, but if I were to find a refrigerator or chest freezer, how would I implement that into my current setup? Would I plug the power cord from the fridge into the "cool" outlet in my Inkbird, run my Fermwrapped-fermenter into the fridge and let the Inkbird turn on/off the fridge? Or would it even be necessary to use the Fermwrap at that point?

Also, is there any danger to burning out the compressor on the refrigerator with the constant on/off cycle using the Inkbird?

You dont need to wrap your fermentor when using a fermchamber and temp control. That is unless the wrap is a way to warm the beer during cooler months. I use a small heater for that personally.

Cant speak to the Inkbird specifically but you will want the controller to have a "compressor delay". My STC-1000 DIY controller does this, I *assume* the Inkbird does too but you should verify. That delay makes sure that the chamber doesnt short cycle which is the primary concern.

...Would I plug the power cord from the fridge into the "cool" outlet in my Inkbird, run my Fermwrapped-fermenter into the fridge and let the Inkbird turn on/off the fridge? Or would it even be necessary to use the Fermwrap at that point?

You got it, let the Inkbird control power going to the fridge or freezer. Depending on ambient temperatures surrounding your fridge you may or may not need the heater.

For heat I use a reptile heat mat, which gets plugged into the Inkbird. Since the fermenter just sits on top of it, there's zero hassle to using it. I leave it plugged in all the time. That way the Inkbird can call for cooling or heating, and I never have to worry about ambient temps.

Inkbirds have a compressor delay setting which protects the compressor. I set mine to the maximum value.

Use the thermal mass of the beer to help control how many times the compressor get cycled on/off. If you put the temperature probe in the air you'll get more cycling of the compressor. But if you submerge it in a thermowell in the beer, or attach it to the side of the fermenter (covered in some insulating foam), you'll get less compressor cycles. Measure the temp of the liquid, not the air.

In my keezer I have the temp probe in a thermowell submerged in a quart of water.

Another for fermentation temperature control. When I lived up north I did my fermentation in a heated basement so I had to cool year round. Now in Florida I MUST cool. In fact I have never heated a fermentation.

An expensive immersion chiller will not pay for itself here, since I can't get to pitching temperatures with them even mid winter. The water is in the mid to high 70s at its lowest.

I have the kegging. I got a bench capper because I was afraid that some day I would break a handle on the wing capper like others have. The bench capper is way easier.

What I wish for is going electric. In the plans for the future but hasn't happened yet.

Another vote for a fermentation chamber. My first few beers were without any control and they got too warm. Then I used a swamp cooler (fermenter placed in a tub of water with ice packs), and that helped a lot, but it required constant vigilance and replenishing of ice packs. Adapting a freezer using a dual stage temp controller put my mind at ease and made for much better beer. And I could do lagers!

Back