What one thing would you change about your rig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilerbrad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finished construction of my basement electric brewery in January. It's a 30 AMP 3 vessel EHERMS rig (kal clone) built for 5 gallon batches. I have brewed 6 batches with it so far. If I could change only one thing about it, I would have gone for a 50 amp panel to be able to fire the HLT and BK at the same time. This would have significantly shortened the typical brew day.

What one thing would you change about your rig?

I'm currently building my eBIAB setup around a custom 20 gallon Spike kettle. It's kind of a Frankenstein version of their Solo rig. I had one extra accessory port installed on the upper left. I only wish I'd added another one somewhere. That way I could have my Steam Slayer and recirculation port dedicated to the sides. My solve was to install a weldless TC port to the lid for recirc, which should work, just not as nice as a welded port would be.

On the other hand, I may have ended up cutting that hole anyway to facilitate the use of a CIP ball, so there's that.

In other words, when getting welded fittings, err on the side of too many. You can always cap them off.

I'm currently building my eBIAB setup around a custom 20 gallon Spike kettle. It's kind of a Frankenstein version of their Solo rig. I had one extra accessory port installed on the upper left. I only wish I'd added another one somewhere. That way I could have my Steam Slayer and recirculation port dedicated to the sides. My solve was to install a weldless TC port to the lid for recirc, which should work, just not as nice as a welded port would be.

On the other hand, I may have ended up cutting that hole anyway to facilitate the use of a CIP ball, so there's that.

In other words, when getting welded fittings, err on the side of too many. You can always cap them off.
Which controller did you end up using?

I bought this guy from Blichman a year ago (10 gallon gas HERMS). I really love this setup as it's easy to use, holds temp great, cleans up nicely, and I can roll it out, brew, and have it put away again clean in about 4 hours.

The only thing I would change is that I wish there was an option for an immersion chiller. Don't get me wrong, the Therminator works great and being able to pump cool wort into the fermenter while it is doing the cooling is great.

I hate cleaning it. I have it now so I'm going to use it and as I mentioned it works great but I would really like the ease of one of those awesome looking Jaded Brewing immersion chillers. A 10 gallon batch just isn't enough to justify needing a plate chiller with the added work of flushing it.
1597958996117.png

Especially when cleaning comes at the end of the brewing day when we are tired and really just want to wrap things up.

If we could somehow, just somehow, do the cleaning first... Similar to youth is wasted on the young.

Do you mean like how they used to play the credits first at the talkies? :p

Firing two elements at once would allow me to prepare cleaning solution in the mash tun while finishing the boil. Hmm. Now that I think about it maybe I can start that at flame out and get a good 20-30 min soak while whirlpool, chill, and transfer happen. That'd save a few mins.

Latest posts

Back