What next? Or what's a newbie do after MRB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drookit

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

1st batch in cold conditioning. 2nd batch 2 weeks in to fermentation.

I've got a few more MRB refill kits to do, but then I'm pretty sure I'm ready to progress to the next level.

So what am I progressing to?

Here's the equipment I've gotten together after only starting in the hobby a month ago.

2 pet carboys. 5 gal and 7 gallon.

2 fermentation buckets. Both 7 gallons.

All the assorted support equipment for bottling etc.....

I do have a turkey fryer set up NIB too.

Do I AG? Do I BIAB? Do I partial mash?

I live in Alaska, and shipping cost sucks. So that's a consideration.

I'd like to keep things simple too. KISS works really well for me. We'll see what happens further down the road.

So, what do you think the newbie should progress to given the information I've provided?

As always, thanks for the advice.

Ken

The next cheapest is 5 gallon extract and/or partial mash because they don't require any more advanced equipment. You could try AG in BIAB form (some searching reveals great tutorials) with a minimal to negligible investment. Of course with four available fermenters why not just go straight to kegging and build up an on-tap pipeline? (I'm only half-kidding. ;) ) Kyle

Do I AG? Do I BIAB? Do I partial mash?

Ken

With the setup you describe sounds like you could do any of those. Depends on what you want. Just keep in mind that the ingredients for AG will weigh more than extract so that may be a consideration if you have to ship everything.

As you brew your last few Mr. Beer HME refills, use that as an opportunity to incorporate/practice some processes and techniques into your brewing that you will surely need later.

- Steeping grains

- Hop additions

- Adding DME

- Try different yeast and fermentation temperatures

You can make some pretty darn tasty brews by doctoring those refills.

Just keep in mind that the ingredients for AG will weigh more than extract so that may be a consideration if you have to ship everything.

Thank you, really a good piece of information for deciding which direction I go.

Buying in bulk on ingredients can cut cost.
Malts
Grains keep best (when kept dry) Dry malt keeps better than Liquid Malt (in terms of flavor quality).
Hops can be bought in bulk and stored in your freezer. I figure it is $$$ to Alaska, but as # goes up $/# goes down, so buying in bulk.

Personally I like dry extract. Also given Alaska, what is your brewing/fermenting season? AG requires full boils which require a strong electric stove, or other good heat (usually propane, but I suppose a decent wood/coal stove could work) If you can't run your propane outside 3 months out of the year, that means you can't only brew 9 months at a time - this may or may not be a consideration, and some people do small AG batches (2-3 gallons out).

Buying in bulk on ingredients can cut cost.
Malts
Grains keep best (when kept dry) Dry malt keeps better than Liquid Malt (in terms of flavor quality).
Hops can be bought in bulk and stored in your freezer. I figure it is $$$ to Alaska, but as # goes up $/# goes down, so buying in bulk.

Personally I like dry extract. Also given Alaska, what is your brewing/fermenting season? AG requires full boils which require a strong electric stove, or other good heat (usually propane, but I suppose a decent wood/coal stove could work) If you can't run your propane outside 3 months out of the year, that means you can't only brew 9 months at a time - this may or may not be a consideration, and some people do small AG batches (2-3 gallons out).

Just asking for shipping quotes on extract kits from a few suppliers, the average seems to be about $14-15 bucks. :(

One said they could ship it media mail for $11, I'm thinking that's pushing the USPS regulations a little far.

Don't mean to sound cheap, but another expensive hobby isn't what I really need to keep the boss somewhat happy.

Was planning to move the brewing "operation" out to my shop as I start doing larger batches. Thinking the propane turkey fryer would work from some of the videos I'm seen. I'd just open a window, turn the exhaust fan on to keep fresh air inside when the propane burner was going. I also have double deep sink in the shop for cleaning all the equipment.

Northern Brewer has a flat shipping rate not sure about Alaska but worth looking into.

As far as what next, do a couple extracts to get used to using working in larger batches. Then move up to partial mash with your existing stuff.

Also with your 5 g fermenters you could start doing some smaller batches to experiment with like 3-4g.

Download brewtarget its a free brewing app, it will let you really geek out on your beer making.

check out morebeer, i think they do free shipping on orders over $60, not sure about alaska though, i know they are on the west coast here in CA though.

Back