What my wife says

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some women get pissed when we have hobbies and they don't. Mine is glad I'm brewing at home and not spending my free time in the bars. She doesn't even mind the money I spend b/c I would be spending much more hanging around in bars.

njs170 said:
no physical honey do list... that would piss me off but we talk about things that need to be done. Of course there are things that should be done before brewing but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

I normally get "you are obsessed!" I think she is just jealous because I still find time to brew and she doesn't have time for her hobbies. We have a 7 month old. I normally put him in a carrier and he helps! He loves being apart of whatever I am doing!

That's so me man. I have a 3 year old boy and 10month old twin girls. They love to play in the garage on brew day with daddy. I always he that "you are obsessed" look from my wife.

My wife just says "do what you want"

As long as I don't buy something insane (morebeer sculpture), she is completely supportive.

My wife drinks the beer I make. And she usually enjoys it. So when I brew, she either participates or leaves me alone. No nagging. The way it should be.

I guess I have it good. I started brewing while dating my wife. It was the last test. She did not mind it, so we got married. Since then we each have our own spending money, so no quarrels there. Also no quarrels when she goes shopping. Now I just time the brewing around her and the kids schedule. For example, wife may sneak out of the house during mash time while I watch the kids. Works for both. Some long mashes, but no complaints. Need to find what works for you.

My Wife likes beer just as much as I do. I just got her hooked on Stouts after a couple days in Asheville Brewery hopping. She even had a half glass of my Sweetwater Happy Ending yesterday, and didn't spit it out.

We are sitting around today getting recipes in order so that we are ready for Spring and Summer around the pool. Going to do a few lagers this year. I couldn't imagine it any other way.

ACbrewer said:
Our first married Christmas she says 'I got you a hobby' (brewing).
This years anniversary was copper, so she got me a copper ale and a copper wort chiller.

Awesome! Hmmm... That's got me thinking... Which year is the stainless steel anniversary again...? There's got to be a stainless steel anniversary, right???

Looked it up and steel is the eleven year anniversary.... not specifically stainless but should work

I'll echo the "watch the kids during brew day" trick. I get to brew beer, the kids can help weigh stuff and stir occasionally, the wife gets to go out to a movie with her friends. Win/win/win.

I'm lucky as well, though, because my wife will drink what I brew, is interested in possibly making our own wine, and her mother was the one who got me my first kit.

Mine does not like beer, but she is happy I have a hobby, she bought me my first brewing kit as one of my Christmas presents!

My wife does not drink beer and doesn't care for the smell of brewing, but is supportive about me brewing, and is great about picking me up new craft beer to try when she is out.

She's not crazy about the fact that my brewing gear is slowly taking over more and more of the space in our basement, but we're working on ways to mitigate that (aka organization).

Jeffro74 said:
I'll echo the "watch the kids during brew day" trick. I get to brew beer, the kids can help weigh stuff and stir occasionally, the wife gets to go out to a movie with her friends. Win/win/win.

I'm lucky as well, though, because my wife will drink what I brew, is interested in possibly making our own wine, and her mother was the one who got me my first kit.

That's funny because my wife's mother was the one who got me my first kit. I bet she didn't know it would lead to this.

That's so true man. Beer is our cupcake.

Dying here, hilarious

So, extract brewing is like using a boxed cake mix, extract with specialty grains is like using a boxed cake mix, but changing it up with stuff like jello or extra eggs/vanilla, and all grain brewing is like making cupcakes from flour, sugar, etc.

Ok so I just got a new burner and brew pot today and I have been playing with that thing most of the day. Just getting the air mix right and finding the best spot to put it. You know what I'm talking about guys.

Well my wife tells me to stop and do something else. The honey do list is done so what else is there to do. She just doesn't get the point on spending all this money onbrew stuff. What does your wife's think?

Can you afford a divorce?

Gothgar said:
Dying here, hilarious

So, extract brewing is like using a boxed cake mix, extract with specialty grains is like using a boxed cake mix, but changing it up with stuff like jello or extra eggs/vanilla, and all grain brewing is like making cupcakes from flour, sugar, etc.

That's one WAT to put it.

Well, I was sitting here catching up on HBT when my wife came in from the yard telling me she needed my arms for a few minutes. Went out and cut a couple of the bigger branches off the fruit trees she was trimming and came back in. She's the gardening fanatic, I'm into brewing and a number of other hobbies. We are both busier than heck and need our own time and together time to keep us sane. We are both big do-it-yourselfers so we do lots of stuff around the house. This morning I was fertilizing the citrus trees, trimming some of the undergrowth. Then it was time to play with some beer toys and find out what the rest of the brewing world is doing. I make and scrounge lots of my own equipment so its pretty economical. The beer is great! She takes a sip, says "I like that one" or "yech" (sours ;)). I think what she likes most is everyone else raving about the beer. I feel the same way about her gardening. Currently in the design stages are some frames for her berries that will also hold the poles that will support for my hops. It all works out.

My wife is pretty supportive. She listens and can make conversation about beer brewing now. She went on a brewery tour and even asked serious questions. Every once in a while, she asks how much thing costs, buying I keep it in check, she is supportive. We have a 2 year old, and that time is sacred, so most of my brews are late night, or on the odd day off alone. I'm a pretty lucky guy.

ArtimusBeerimus said:
Awesome! Hmmm... That's got me thinking... Which year is the stainless steel anniversary again...? There's got to be a stainless steel anniversary, right???

you guys don't know the HALF of it....

I have a bride, who, 3 weeks into my new brewing hobby, is brewing a batch of Apfelwein, and 2 batches of mead, each with a different yeast, 'cause she wanted to see whet each yeast would do...

She also refers to the airlocks on the primary in the living room as the dogs drinking fountain...

In response to this post, we also own a 30' sailboat, and EVERY year, I tell her that this year is the "Sailcloth Anniversary". At over $2000 for a new suit of sails for a 41 year old boat, I doubt this year will be the "Sailcloth Anniversary" either.....

Mine's also quite good about it, she likes my beers and even requests certain favourites. As long as I don't spend a stupid amount of time (I brew 1-2 times a month, plus bottling etc), let her know when I'm planning a brew day, clean up afterward, and not spend ridiculous amounts of $$ (I don't), she's all good with it.

She's definitely more supportive of brewing than modifying my car...

I brew about once every 3-4 weeks if I'm lucky. I also take out the trash, mow the lawn, do all the DYI projects (which aren't insignificant,) all the cooking and half the laundry. I won't put up with crap over my few hours a week (on average) for brewing related activities. :D

My wife is awesomely supportive of brewing. I have no idea why. She never was with woodworking, DIY, electrical guitar or a couple other past hobbies.

I drove her to work for a meeting this morning. Dropped her off at 8. Went to Lowe's and spent $90 on lumber to build my workshop counter top and some bottle crates without asking. Darted across town and scored two cornys for $25 each (need rebuilding) without asking. Texted her before heading back to let her know I'd be a few minutes later picking her up from her meeting. Showed up 15 minutes late with the truck bed full of 2x4s, firring strips and cornys. She didn't bat an eye. "Looks like you had a busy morning." "Yup. :D"

I take her to a grocery store we go to only occasionally (out of the way) to pick a case of her favorite energy drinks for work and bought her a bagel. On the way out, I ask if we can stop by Wally World to look at Tupperware containers to store specialty grain. I expected an uphill battle. Instead, she's totally into the idea. We end up spending 15 minutes discussing the pros/cons of different containers for storing grains, standing in the middle of the food storage aisle. We decided quart mason jars would work best, as they hold 20 oz of grain filled to the lid (1 lb to the neck) and are $10 for a dozen with lids. She grabs two cases of them, carries them to the checkout while I try to get her to let me carry them, and then buys them for me. I was astounded. "I hope two cases will get you started," she says.

Next she says we should go to the brew store (?!?!?!). "OKAY!" Floored it out of the parking lot before she could change her mind. She ended up weighing out and filling all 24 jars while I tried to pick them out and write it all down for the clerk. I grab no less than 7 packets of yeast from the fridge, she looks me dead in the face, and asks "are you sure that's all you need?" Not a hint of sarcasm. I almost undressed her right there.

She then leads me around the store, pointing at half of the items and asking me if I needed them. Many of them were wine items or chemicals that I didn't even know what they did, but I didn't have the heart to tell her. The only thing I picked up was a comically large 5L flask off the top shelf, at which point she laughed at me, and I put it back.

While I paid, she sneakily loaded it all in the car for me. I walked out, and asked why she laughed about the flask.

Her: "Nobody needs one that large. Not even you."
Me: "Well, I bought one on Amazon last night..."
Her: "You... what? *long pause* What else did you buy?"
Me: "A 3L flask..."
Her: "And!?"
Me: "A 1L flask..."
Her: "What else?!"
Me: "Some other flasks, down to 50ml for slants"
Her: "...keep going"
Me: "A stir bar... that's all of it. I promise."
Her: "Can I help you use them?"
Me: "Uh... well, sure, I guess, but why would you..."
Her: "Yay! I'm feeling like Chinese food right now..."

We got home, she helped unload the truck (including the lumber), then help me cut up the 204 pieces for the 12 crates I'm assembling tomorrow. She played with the dogs, then made dinner. She's watching her favorite TV show right now, so... I better go give her a back rub right meow, and anything else she wants.

I don't brew with my wife home. Did it once and she was complaining that I better clean it up when I am done. Well each time she comes home I have done the cleaning from brewing. So no wife bitching about a minor mess that will get cleaned up, and I am happy brewing.

thadius856 said:
My wife is awesomely supportive of brewing. I have no idea why. She never was with woodworking, DIY, electrical guitar or a couple other past hobbies.

I drove her to work for a meeting this morning. Dropped her off at 8. Went to Lowe's and spent $90 on lumber to build my workshop counter top and some bottle crates without asking. Darted across town and scored two cornys for $25 each (need rebuilding) without asking. Texted her before heading back to let her know I'd be a few minutes later picking her up from her meeting. Showed up 15 minutes late with the truck bed full of 2x4s, firring strips and cornys. She didn't bat an eye. "Looks like you had a busy morning." "Yup. :D"

I take her to a grocery store we go to only occasionally (out of the way) to pick a case of her favorite energy drinks for work and bought her a bagel. On the way out, I ask if we can stop by Wally World to look at Tupperware containers to store specialty grain. I expected an uphill battle. Instead, she's totally into the idea. We end up spending 15 minutes discussing the pros/cons of different containers for storing grains, standing in the middle of the food storage aisle. We decided quart mason jars would work best, as they hold 20 oz of grain filled to the lid (1 lb to the neck) and are $10 for a dozen with lids. She grabs two cases of them, carries them to the checkout while I try to get her to let me carry them, and then buys them for me. I was astounded. "I hope two cases will get you started," she says.

Next she says we should go to the brew store (?!?!?!). "OKAY!" Floored it out of the parking lot before she could change her mind. She ended up weighing out and filling all 24 jars while I tried to pick them out and write it all down for the clerk. I grab no less than 7 packets of yeast from the fridge, she looks me dead in the face, and asks "are you sure that's all you need?" Not a hint of sarcasm. I almost undressed her right there.

She then leads me around the store, pointing at half of the items and asking me if I needed them. Many of them were wine items or chemicals that I didn't even know what they did, but I didn't have the heart to tell her. The only thing I picked up was a comically large 5L flask off the top shelf, at which point she laughed at me, and I put it back.

While I paid, she sneakily loaded it all in the car for me. I walked out, and asked why she laughed about the flask.

We got home, she helped unload the truck (including the lumber), then help me cut up the 204 pieces for the 12 crates I'm assembling tomorrow. She played with the dogs, then made dinner. She's watching her favorite TV show right now, so... I better go give her a back rub right meow, and anything else she wants.

At what point did you wake up from this dream?

Ok so I just got a new burner and brew pot today and I have been playing with that thing most of the day. Just getting the air mix right and finding the best spot to put it. You know what I'm talking about guys.

Well my wife tells me to stop and do something else. The honey do list is done so what else is there to do. She just doesn't get the point on spending all this money onbrew stuff. What does your wife's think?

My wife thinks your wife would absolutely hate me.

My wife likes that I make my own, she thinks its cooler than buying it from the store! She made a pot roast the other day and used a smoked porter I made in the stock pot! Yeah, she's good... so was the pot roast!

I'm one of the lucky ones. My wife is very supportive and enjoys the beer. It has taken about three years but I now have an awesome 3 tap kegerator in the basement, a keggle sized brew rig in the garage and a small 3 gallon setup in the kitchen for small batches.

For me it is all about putting things together slowly as not to draw too much attention. Next thought is I want a pump. Couple of months putting all the small crap together and a pop for the pump come about April, no problem.

She does not mind talking beer and actually is a member of the brew club and comes to the meetings. Also, best bonus of all, when I do bottle, she is always willing to help with that! Me and a couple of buddies have a bourbon barrel in my basement, we'll see how she feels about bottling when we have 50+ gallons deck in a month or so!

Dude, I know you know it, but your wife is awesome.

Please be insanely nice to this lady. She's a keeper!

thadius856 said:

Yea she is Awesome you better give her what she wants when she asks.

I sense a new DIY thread appearing soon for a Brew Room and Shoe Room home remodel. A agree, keeper.

Oh my I was laughing my butt of reading this thread. And trust me it takes a lot of laughing with a butt as big as mine.

I had to wonder though how many guys were looking over their shoulder wondering when the wife would come around the corner.

Mine encourages me to brew. She wants me to be happy and she enjoys my beer, but I think it might be something else.

Her: When are you brewing again?
Me: I don't know. Why?
Her: I just want you to be happy and do what you love.
Me: Really? Cool. I will order some grains right now.
Her: You mean you don't have it to brew tomorrow or something?
Me: No, why?
Her: I want you out of the house.
Me: What?!?!
Her: I need to clean.
Me: I can help you, Schatz (German for sweetie. She's German)
Her: Oh, thanks, but just get your ass out of the house. You suck at cleaning.

:)

Head down to the LHBS, get your grain, buy some dry packets, brew tomorrow!

Pick up a corny or two while you're there and tell her you ran out of space to store the beer, so you had to buy it to make it happen.

Latest posts

Back