What "methods" of mash and sparge are depicted here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Decoction? Infusion? Fly? Batch?

[ame]https://vimeo.com/11354805[/ame]

It's for 1-gallon batches, so it is scaled down, but I'd like to know so I can "fill in the blanks" on my Brewer's Friend app.

Thanks in advance -

Ron

The first part where the grain is in the pot is your initial mash when they tell you to raise the temperature that is called a mash out. After you dump your mash in that strainer they are doing a pour over Sparge or a rinse Sparge.

Rather than dumping your mash in a strainer you could pick up a paint strainer bags from Home Depot or Lowe's put your mash in the bag with all of your water Maintain you temperature as directed and then just squeeze you bag or let it drip drain into you pot.

It's a straight mash with a sparge rinse. The closest thing you listed is a single infusion mash.

I would agree with jekeane, if your going this small just use the BIAB method.

Its the same but you add all of the water into the pot, add your grain in the paint bag. Then let it steep at the same temperatures in the video.

Less mess, less fuss, no rinsing of grains by hand.

Hi, guys, and thanks for the feedback - the BIAB is a method that I've often considered with this but have never tried.

Perhaps my next brew will remedy that, and I can compare them. I can get paint strainer bags easily enough, so no real reason not to try it.

The video shows pretty much how I brew my small batches. As far as sparging, it's sort of a combination between batch and fly sparging. It doesn't really matter what you call it -- your efficiency will be improved by doing it and that's the bottom line. Should be able to get 75% efficiency easily with this method, and as high as 90% in my experience with a good enough crush.

Hi, guys, and thanks for the feedback - the BIAB is a method that I've often considered with this but have never tried.

Perhaps my next brew will remedy that, and I can compare them. I can get paint strainer bags easily enough, so no real reason not to try it.

Watch your heat. My first go with a BIAB batch, (just to try it out) I left it for half a min only to come back to a melted bag and grain all throughout the pot. Keep the bag up off the bottom if your going to ramp up your mash temps.
I was directly heating my kettle. I was using a run of the mill paint strainer bag.

Back