What location should i pick for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPANY

Reaction score
Hey, my question is:

As a brand new brewer trying to consider every aspect, does anyone have any suggestions as to where/how I should store the fermenting wort without leaving it in my house (potential for angering wife)?

I am dont want my temperatures to be all over the place.

Im looking for any and all ideas. I have a separate basement that is warmer at the top of the stairs than the bottom. I also have a garage to work with.

Closets, spare rooms, basements, garages, sheds, they all work. When picking a location, consider too that you'll need to keep your ambient temp 5-10 degF cooler than your target fermentation temp for the first couple days. So my question is do you have a space that stays a pretty constant 60 degF?

I have a pantry in the kitchen that stays about 63-65 or so, which is where I keep my buckets. It can be a coupe of degrees warmer in the summer.

is darkness really as important as i've read about in a few places? i'd really like to do a time lapse video some day of fermenting.

Everyone's mentioning temps because most beers should be fermented in the 60s. So pick a spot where you're going to maintain 65 degrees. If it's not dark a blanket will do.

That said, I live in Tucson and have trouble keeping my temps down. High temp effects the flavor of the beer, but I haven't found a flavor I couldn't age out yet. Time heals many beers.

Your in NY so a corner of your basement should be fine. I find that I maintain temps in the low 60's during the summer in a similar location.

You may want to warm it up a little (+-70) towards the end of your primary fermentation. This won't affect the flavor and will help the yeast to finish their job.

As far as light goes, I just cover my carboys with a dark colored t-shirt.

Read what you can about the yeast your using. Different yeast require different temps and can give you a much different profile at different temps.

Good luck

Bull

you could always use a wet tshirt and a fan or a swamp cooler to better control but the basement shouldnt be too bad and dont forget to rdwa(soon)hahb

Back