What kind of yeast for a sparkling cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyDon

Reaction score
I've only made cider once before I used juice plus some apple sauce to add body. After a couple of weeks in the primary I racked over to a secondary for a couple more weeks.

On bottling day I primed and sweetened with some cane sugar and added a few grains of red star champange yeast to each bottle. The result was a nice sparkling cider,but there was a slight sulphur taste to it.

Is there a better way or a better yeast to do this without getting this off flavor?

It has been about seven years since I have made this and I have family members that want me to make another, but I'd really like to improve the final product with the next batch.

Well, theoretically you really shouldn't need to add any extra yeasties when you're making the stuff fizzy.
All you really need to do is let your cider ferment out, then add a little sugar before bottling. There should still be a small amount of viable yeast left in suspension that will go at that tiny amount of sugar to give you some good fizz. Any yeast will do, really- I use Lavlin K1-1116 wine yeast myself, but that's what has worked for me.

Back