What is your neighborhood brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowden

Reaction score
I feel fortunate to live about 15 minutes from Hoppin' Frog and Thirsty Dog breweries in Akron. Haven't sampled all of their offerings yet...there are so many great beers to choose from! I have it on my to-do list to attempt a clone of Gangster Frog.

What is your local backyard brewery? Have you had any luck cloning any of their beers?

Within 20 Minutes I have

Champion Brewing
South Street Brewing
Three Notch'd Brewing
C'villian Brewing (horrible)
Blue Mountain
Wild Wolf (blehh)
Starr Hill (blehh)
Devil's Backbone

Pretty much in order of how far away they are from me.

EDIT: Forgot a couple

James River Brewing
Bold Rock Cider (if you want to count that)

Within 20 Minutes I have

Champion Brewing
South Street Brewing
Three Notch'd Brewing
C'villian Brewing (horrible)
Blue Mountain
Wild Wolf (blehh)
Starr Hill (blehh)
Devil's Backbone

Make it 30 minutes and here is my list. I hate to say it but Three Notch'd is closest and I have not been yet.

Make it 30 minutes and here is my list. I hate to say it but Three Notch'd is closest and I have not been yet.

I'm in cville as well, champion is closest... I drive fast though, haha. You definitely need to get to 3NB... people are awesome and the beers are even better!!

I'm in cville as well, champion is closest... I drive fast though, haha. You definitely need to get to 3NB... people are awesome and the beers are even better!!

I drive past it every day to and from work... yeah I need to stop off I love their beers and what they did with Burton's for the beer dinner was awesome.

Three Notch'd sounds like a great place; was just looking at their website. 40 Mile IPA looks delicious.

Any idea how far they distribute?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Three Notch'd sounds like a great place; was just looking at their website. 40 Mile IPA looks delicious.

Any idea how far they distribute?

Pretty much just Central VA for the moment, they self distribute so can only reach so far. Shoot me a PM if you want to trade some locals, I can put together a 3NB box for you!

I moved to SD 2 yrs. ago. Very fortunate to have Stone, Ballast Point, Mission, Lost Abby, Mother Earth all within 20 min.

Minneapolis has gone through a pretty crazy boom, I haven't even had a beer from all of them yet

Minneapolis has gone through a pretty crazy boom, I haven't even had a beer from all of them yet

I'm having trouble just keeping track of all the new ones, much less finding time to visit them. I need to get a designated driver to haul me around to a bunch of them.

Not too many in the 'burbs where I live, but this one, Hammerheart, is fairly close. They make some really bombastic brews--nothing like it anywhere else around here. Thor's Hot Smoked Pepper Imperial Porter is one of my favorites there.

Within 20 minutes of my door: Base Camp, Breakside, Bridgeport, Burnside, Cascade, Coalition, Commons, Deschutes, Ecliptic, Gigantic, Hair of the Dog, Heathen, Hopworks, Laurelwood, Loowit, Migration, Mill City, Mt. Tabor, Occidental, Upright, and Widmer.

And those are just the ones I like!

Boneyard, then Deschutes, then a whole bunch of locals you've never heard of.

Sockeye, Payette, and 10Barrel. Barley Brown's is about an hour drive. Bunch of small breweries in town as well.

Boneyard, then Deschutes, then a whole bunch of locals you've never heard of.

What, you mean like 10 Barrel, Crux, GoodLife, Silver Moon, and Worthy?

Though I have yet to make it to Bend, your beer is no secret! :)

I live in Lansing MI, within an hour drive i have Bell's, Founders, Dark Horse, kuhnhenn, Brewery Vivant, Mountain Town, Jolly Pumpkin, BAD Brewing... the list goes on....

Unfortunately there is only 1 craft brewery on Oahu, Honolulu Beerworks. Fortunately, they are producing really good, quality brews.

Lakefront Brewing Co, Sprecher, and Milwaukee Brewing Co., plus a few really good brewpubs. And there's that Miller Brewing Company too.

A little outside of Milwaukee is the wonderful New Glarus Brewery, the Ale Asylum, Vintage Brewing and Tyranena Brewing.

Closest to me is Lost Rhino but there's a lot of small breweries and a brew pub that are just as close.

What is your local backyard brewery? Have you had any luck cloning any of their beers?

Iron Hill Brewery-Wilmington is less than a mile away.
I have not tried to clone any of their beers.

My wife and I have a place at the beach here in Delaware and Dogfish Head is our "backyard brewer" there though I would have to have a 3 mile long backyard to say that. Judging from some of the posts here many people have humungous backyards ;)

I have cloned several of their beers, I have made a batch or 2 of their 90 Minute IPA which while not exactly, precisely like theirs was nonetheless very good beer. I have my 1st attempt at cloning Dogfish Head's Port currently in the fermenter, just brewed it 2 days ago.

I want to try to make Palo Santo and *****'s Brew at some point in time

All within 30-40 minutes from my house.

Sentinel Peak
Nimbus
Barrio
Thunder Canyon
Pueblo Vida
Borderlands
Dragoon

Dragoon is really good. Pueblo Vida just opened a few days ago and I'm quite impressed with their first offering. I like the atmosphere at Borderlands and tend to go there often. I know of about 4 more opening soon :mug:

Mothers Brewery 5 miles away, Springfield Brewery 5 miles away, Boulevard Brewery 200 miles away, My Brewery Better lol

I also live in Springfield. Mother's has very good beer but we're an hour or so from Piney River (GABF gold winner), hour and a half from a few breweries in the Bentonville Arkanasas area with six or so breweries including two of my favorites, Ozark Beer and Apple Blossum. We're three hours from St. Louis where there are numerous breweries including Schlafly and another favorite, Four Hands.

Fathead's in North Olmsted is 30-45 minutes away. Great lakes is at least an hour away in Cleveland. Hoppin' Frog & Thirsty Dog are at least 2 hours away. Nothing like those anywhere near where I live so I wouldn't have to drive so far.

Nearby to me, all within an hour-ish (but most within 20-30 mins and a few within 10-15 mins) and in no particular order:

Mad Fox
DC Brau
Chocolate City
Caboose
Port City
Lost Rhino
Bad Wolf
Forge
Fair Winds (soon)
Adroit Theory
Cocoran
Rock Bottom (at least one location)
HOPS (meh)
Gordon Biersch (a number of locations)
Atlas Brew Works
Bardo
3 Stars
DC Chophouse
Sweetwater Tavern
Baying Hound
Heavy Seas
Flying Dog
Bluejacket
Franklins
Right Proper
A few Dogfish Head "alehouses" that don't actually brew on site so they probably don't count.
And I'm sure there's others that I'm missing.

Living smack dab in the middle of SA and Austin, TX, I'm within 40 miles of many great breweries. But, we do have a few breweries here in New Braunfels, TX...Guadalupe Brew Co., New Braunfels Brew Co., and The Faust Brew Co.

The latter 2 are mediocre at best, but Guadalupe Brew Co brews some world class, exceptional beers! Give them a try if you ever spot one of their brews. Their Scotch Ale and Honey Ale are award winners, and their stouts are impressive, as well.

http://www.guadalupebrew.com/

Fathead's in North Olmsted is 30-45 minutes away. Great lakes is at least an hour away in Cleveland. Hoppin' Frog & Thirsty Dog are at least 2 hours away. Nothing like those anywhere near where I live so I wouldn't have to drive so far.

Sounds like Brew Kettle is in you neck of the woods. Have you tried their Black Rajah?

I'm in same boat as broham except I'm walking distance to Max's Fanno creek and john barleyvorns. Not great beers but I can walk there.

Nearby to me, all within an hour-ish (but most within 20-30 mins and a few within 10-15 mins) and in no particular order:

Mad Fox
DC Brau
Chocolate City
Caboose
Port City
Lost Rhino
Bad Wolf
Forge
Fair Winds (soon)
Adroit Theory
Cocoran
Rock Bottom (at least one location)
HOPS (meh)
Gordon Biersch (a number of locations)
Atlas Brew Works
Bardo
3 Stars
DC Chophouse
Sweetwater Tavern
Baying Hound
Heavy Seas
Flying Dog
Bluejacket
Franklins
Right Proper
A few Dogfish Head "alehouses" that don't actually brew on site so they probably don't count.
And I'm sure there's others that I'm missing.
^
What he said.

I also happen to be the assistant brewer at one of those breweries (one of the smaller ones)

I just moved, but my old local breweries were in Redmond, Black Raven, Mac and Jacks Hi Fi and Bushnell, listed in order of preference. My nearest one now is Big E's Ales, haven't been in yet.

Phoenix and it's suburbs is a big city. i don't have a "neighborhood" brewery; the closest is AZ Wilderness. but, the Beer Research Institute is coming soon and about 6 miles away. then again, some of our stuff is worth the drive, like Fate up in scottsdale. i need a great brewery in E. Mesa, so i guess i'll have to open one myself?

I'm in Metro Atlanta-
The closest are Strawn & Jailhouse just a little further away are:
Redbrick
Three Taverns
Orpheus
Five Seasons
Red Hare
Monday Night
Blue Tarp

Orange County, CA I've got the following (within a 20 minute drive):

The Bruery
Valiant Brewing
Bootlegger's Brewery
Bottle Logic
Noble Ale Works
Tustin Brewing Co.
Old Orange Brewing
Anaheim Brewery
Cismontane Brewing
Newport Beach Brewing

...and a half dozen or so other small brew pubs.

Back