What is your goto glass (type)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knightshade

<Insert Snarky Comment Here>
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Now, I know that most of us have a favorite glass. It is our favorite, for various reasons. The shape, the logo, the brand, sentimental value, etc. This isn't that type of question. I'm curious to know which 'type' of glass is your goto. As in the type that your repeatedly goto/pick up the most often. My favorite glass(es) are of 3 different types that my kids acid etched for me a couple of years ago. A goblet, a pint and highball. One that I REALLY like to use and use quite often with new beers is a Teku. The one(s) that I repeatedly goto are:

The tulip which is mostly standardized in my collection with this shape. When I discover a new brewery that I have decided to LOVE and they sell this type of glass....I'm probably buying it.

IMG_6366.jpeg

• It captures and retains the aromatics of the beers I drink wonderfully.
  • It has a thin enough lip to let those aromatics pour forth into your mouth before they are lost.
  • It holds a full 16 oz, so I don't have to do a pour....now what do I do with that amount that is left in the can?
    • Chug It
    • Slurp out of whatever glass I'm using to make room
    • Dump It (Although useful for sediment when that is in play)
  • I genuinely like the way that this glass flows into my hand when I pick it up.
  • It has a sturdy base so I don't have to worry about it tipping over.
  • It has a sturdy stem so I don't have to worry about breaking it if I set it down too hard.
  • It is resilient enough that I don't have (as many) concerns about my kids washing it with the other dishes.

I usually opt for the slender tulip glasses because it's a good mix of a full tulip but beer flows a little easier out of it but more often than not I pick out the first beer to find my hand.

Beer in a stemmed glass... meh, seems a little uppity to me. I have one, but reserve it for the occasional trappist beer out of respect.

I love the feel of these glasses below. Curves make it easy to hold after you've had a few, etched bottom for the bubbles, beaded lip for proper drinking. There's a bunch of different prints on them, with different hop names to no print at all (which is what I buy).

Amazon.com | Ultimate Pint - Perfect Pint Glass to Explode Flavors and Maximize Beer Enjoyment - Exclusive Nucleated Hop Leaf Over 100 Points of Nucleation: Beer Glasses

1644556644373.png

Here is my Go To Glass: Carlsberg Wave by Rastal. I absolutely love it. I like its shape and how the glass is thick and sturdy.
And after loosing some of my other glasses by slipping from the hand, I like how the embossed logo greatly helps the grip.

98164_large.jpg

- that's my "General Purpose" glass.

And specifically for Strong Belgian Beers, I use Rastal Lüttich Tulip:

138_1.jpg

And a vintage Sadler England Tankard for darker opaque English Ales (same colour and design, just plain without horses):
H4367-L182535335.jpg

And when I drink my beers on a Swing Bench in my backyard I take with me a very-heavy-bottomed Luminarc Mug, which stands on the swings tightly and never falls (just in case, I bought 3 of them, but still use the first one):
2.jpg

Well, that's all my beerware :)

Last edited:
Turns out I'm a fan of the traditional-if-boring conic section pint glass. Got an engraved set (with pitcher) as a retirement gift.
IMG_20220110_174247938_HDR.jpg

But I'm wanting a Belgian tulip for my first-ever Trappist ale, which should be ready soon.

I don't have a 'favorite.' I like the nonic, the tulip, and even the occasional mug.

But I will put in a vote for the understated, all-around "craft pub glass"..... (being the "meet me in the middle" of beer glasses).

12B29607-3BFA-4877-8CB0-5E3BE07A3739.jpeg

This is my ‘sampling’ glass so it gets used most 🤔

57B14DE3-9391-4562-B3C6-6D1871F2F3C2.jpeg

It’s a half pint glass I got from Ringwood Brewery (New Forest, UK) on a brewery tour several years ago. It‘s quite heavy for a half pint, being made from very thick glass, and probably unbreakable. It’s survived several drops so far.

I love a British Pint glass and dimpled mug because I mostly chase after British styles. I do also like a short tulip for big, boozy stouts and a tall tulip for wheat beers. If I'm working in the brewery (quite inconveniently also a laundry room) I use a pint mason jar. If I'm working on my car a coffee mug makes me look a bit more respectable to my neighbors. I haven't yet found a glass I really love for lagers yet..

This wasn't the question but I'll throw it in for free, the glass I most HATE is a frozen shaker pint. When one of those is sat before me I often wonder why the hell I paid $6.00 for this torrid experience when I have beer at home? It hasn't happened in a while but I usually vow never to return to that establishment for they have no respect for beer.

The ubiquitous shaker pint. Ugh. Which really isn't a pint, as it only holds about 13 or 14 oz.

Then the added "bonus" of it being served frosted? Were they raised by wolves? Chilled glasses are ok for BMC swill at your local sports bar, but once in a while I encounter it in a craft brewery. Don't know what their thinking is, or why they would want to waste the additional freezer space.

The few times I've seen it done, it was a brewery in some tourist town.

I think frosty pint glasses/mugs dates back to when the beers mostly being consumed were mediocre, macro-beers where 'cold' may have been worth the tradeoff for flavor/smell loss (because the flavor wasn't all that good anyway).

One of my sons gifted me a pair probably 10 years ago, no doubt bought on line. One of those was murdered about four years ago by The Spousal Unit so I bought another pair off Boulevard's Amazon store front. I paid ~$10 each, delivered, which I thought was spendy.

They haven't made that style in many years, and you would not believe what they're going for now!

Yikes!

My go to for most beer styles if I don't have the appropriate one is a Willi Becher. Seems to fit most styles and I like it better than most other generic glasses. I use a lot of the British Tulip since I drink a ton of Bitters/Milds from my kegs.

They are ugly. But trendy.
And Instagram says they are The Best Ever Beerware.
Still, no votes for Teku here. WHY?
😁

Beer in a stemmed glass... meh, seems a little uppity to me. I have one, but reserve it for the occasional trappist beer out of respect.

I love the feel of these glasses below. Curves make it easy to hold after you've had a few, etched bottom for the bubbles, beaded lip for proper drinking. There's a bunch of different prints on them, with different hop names to no print at all (which is what I buy).

Amazon.com | Ultimate Pint - Perfect Pint Glass to Explode Flavors and Maximize Beer Enjoyment - Exclusive Nucleated Hop Leaf Over 100 Points of Nucleation: Beer Glasses

View attachment 759074
@passedpawn You just cost me $28.

I like these also, only with beer in it. 20220216_210556.jpg
Or these for brown liquor or samples
20220216_210909.jpg

At home
by myself, often a jar
If I have friends over, or at certain events, often ...
Glass around this time of year ... a glass boot
around Oktoberfest ... a Mas (maskrug)
otherwise, often a pils glass or a weizen

Back