What is your Favorite Drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_stout

Reaction score
Which drink tastes the best in your opinion Beer, Mead, Wine, Hard Liquor, Braggot, Sake, Pulque, Soju, etc?

I vote for stout. That is why I am called mr_stout. Lol

I prefer thick, red, IPAs.

However, just last week, I had my first Anchor Steam in a couple decades. I had no idea I loved that beer so much. The last time I had it, I was not a home brewer, nor was I into the whole "craft" thing. Craft... wasn't a "thing" in Tucson, Arizona in the late 1990s.
The only beers besides Bud and Coors at a local pub were Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam.

Back then, the green bottle of Sierra Nevada wasn't even referred to as a "pale ale", simply because nobody called different beers anything.
You called them by their brand. Stores carried Bud, Coors, Miller, Michelob, Heineken, Weinhard's, Milwaukee's Best, and Mickey's. All I knew is that Mickey's and the Beast were disgusting, Heineken smelled like a skunk, Weinhard's was expensive (but seemingly a higher quality, maybe?), and everything else went down like foamy water.

Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada began to open my eyes. I would stop at this one trendy pub just to get a taste of an expensive pint before going home from work. I looked forward to my one beer every day.

Anchor Steam, arguably being the grandfather of craft beer, has given me a newfound love for balanced beers. Nowadays, many of us strive so hard to make our beers so outlandish and chocked full of flavor, it's amazing to go back and realize that the beers of yesterday are the reason the trends we see today exist. Our trends today are not necessarily better. You almost had to age with the industry to appreciate the nonsensical bitterness of some of today's beers.

It's cold in my basement, so I've decided to brew an Anchor Steam clone and a Sam Adams Black Lager clone, which will be my first two lagers ever. I want to learn the roots of craft.

Which drink tastes the best in your opinion Beer, Mead, Wine, Hard Liquor, Braggot, Sake, Pulque, Soju, etc?

I vote for stout. That is why I am called mr_stout. Lol

I like Whiskey and beer - Jamieson for the Whiskey - Guinness for the beer so Ya, I'm a stout guy too

Beer, French (red) Burgundy, Oregon (Willamette Valley) Pinot Noir, thick, residually sweet Bourbon, Speyside malt scotches. Some Islays as well. Some Highlands as well (lol. I might just as well say, "Scotland"). Jameson Irish.

Also, actual beer.

Reference which site you're on.

Scotch is good too. Particularly Islay. As is Irish Whiskey.

And protein shakes and excessively caffeinated pre-workout drinks.

And kombucha.

I like what I've never had. One of the reasons I started brewing was so I could try beers that I couldn't buy.

I want to come up with the perfect stout recipe. :)
Uniquely Irish and uniquely ME

Beer is my go to. Wine is probably second (havent made it yet, but i want to). I will also enjoy whiskey, bourbon, and brandy.

Mostly I drink water though.

I prefer thick, red, IPAs.

However, just last week, I had my first Anchor Steam in a couple decades. I had no idea I loved that beer so much. The last time I had it, I was not a home brewer, nor was I into the whole "craft" thing. Craft... wasn't a "thing" in Tucson, Arizona in the late 1990s.
The only beers besides Bud and Coors at a local pub were Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam.

Back then, the green bottle of Sierra Nevada wasn't even referred to as a "pale ale", simply because nobody called different beers anything.
You called them by their brand. Stores carried Bud, Coors, Miller, Michelob, Heineken, Weinhard's, Milwaukee's Best, and Mickey's. All I knew is that Mickey's and the Beast were disgusting, Heineken smelled like a skunk, Weinhard's was expensive (but seemingly a higher quality, maybe?), and everything else went down like foamy water.

Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada began to open my eyes. I would stop at this one trendy pub just to get a taste of an expensive pint before going home from work. I looked forward to my one beer every day.

Anchor Steam, arguably being the grandfather of craft beer, has given me a newfound love for balanced beers. Nowadays, many of us strive so hard to make our beers so outlandish and chocked full of flavor, it's amazing to go back and realize that the beers of yesterday are the reason the trends we see today exist. Our trends today are not necessarily better. You almost had to age with the industry to appreciate the nonsensical bitterness of some of today's beers.

It's cold in my basement, so I've decided to brew an Anchor Steam clone and a Sam Adams Black Lager clone, which will be my first two lagers ever. I want to learn the roots of craft.

Kinda funny the first thread read on this app today and you’re talking about Anchor Steam. I haven’t had one of those in decades but I still remember how much I liked it! Going back to the place I found a six pack way back then and then going back a couple days later, asking the clerk about it and he had no idea what I was talking about. I’m in Florida so maybe that’s why I haven’t seen it since. Anyhow I went to my LHBS today and picked up some Wyeast2112 & WLP810 to make my own and to see if I can make it as good as I can remember. I was wanting to make something really special for my first brew in my new conical.

Latest posts

Back