What is the definition of final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootsNRoots

Reaction score
Is final gravity the gravity at which no further fermentation takes place at a given temperature with a given yeast?

What if the temperature is raised or yeast is added will/should fermentation continue if final gravity has been reached?

Are there fermentables still remaining when the FG is reached?

Definition: FG - Final gravity is a measure of the unfermantable substances remaining in beer after fermentation.

I'd say that Final Gravity is the SG at the moment you bottle or keg. From that point on no more fermentation takes place.

I'd say that Final Gravity is the SG at the moment you bottle or keg. From that point on no more fermentation takes place.

Technically this is not completely accurate, as some fermentation may take place after bottling of kegging if there is still some sugars let that the yeast can metabolize. Many people bottle or keg too early, ending up with bottle bombs in the case of bottlers, and well, nothing really, for keggers.

Generally this is the point where people bottle or keg, but sometimes there is still some activity if they bottle or keg too early. It is the point where *supposedly* the gravity will go no lower.

Technically this is not completely accurate, as some fermentation may take place after bottling of kegging if there is still some sugars let that the yeast can metabolize. Many people bottle or keg too early, ending up with bottle bombs in the case of bottlers, and well, nothing really, for keggers.

Generally this is the point where people bottle or keg, but sometimes there is still some activity if they bottle or keg too early. It is the point where *supposedly* the gravity will go no lower.

Technically you are correct, but after you bottle kind of hard to take a reading. Yea somepeople bottle early, to early.

I wait at least 3 weeks before I bottle and by then the reading at bottling is the FG. Of course I add a bit of sugar to carbonate, but that's another story. :mug:

Back