What is the best way to let temps free rise with STC1000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worthogg

Reaction score
Getting ready to do a Belgian dubbel with WLP530. I want to pitch around 64 and let temps free rise over the course of a few days during primary fermentation. I am using an STC1000 with a refrigerator for my ferm chamber. The fridge is outside. My question is, what's the best way to let fermentation temps free rise inside the fridge without the nighttime temps sucking all the heat that's generated by fermentation? I'm assuming that if my controller is set to 64, then when the probe registers that temp, the heat pad will kick off. That may be fine until nighttime comes and the ambient temps drop. Then the heat won't come back on until the probe reads less than 64. I want to avoid this back and forth and make sure I finish out fermentation around 72-74 degrees. I hope this makes sense. I am just a little confused on how to accomplish what it is I want to do here. I know the controller has a differential setting for the temp. change. Maybe I can use this somehow to maintain heat but not let it go from 64 to 72 right away? Sorry for the less than concise explanation and thanks in advance for anyone who has a suggestion for me...

Personally when fermenting English ales with WLP002 (as well as saisons and a dubbel with 3724 and 830), I just attach the probe to the fermenter and turn the STC1000 set point up a degree or two every 12 hours, so that it mimics a free rise from pitch to final temps over a day or two.

Or you could leave the heat pad and probe free in the chamber, so that they are controlling the air temp rather than the fermenter temp. This will let the fermenter temp coast up above the air temp. Then after a couple of days, set the STC1000 temperature to your desired final fermentation temperature then attach the heat pad and probe to the fermenter to hold that temperature.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if by only bumping up the temp by a degree or so a day I would be restraining the yeast too much. I'll have to experiment and see what I see. I was just trying to figure out if I was missing something with the method I was planning on. Part of my concern was that I read that some of the Belgian yeasts don't like to cool down once they've started fermenting. I have heard that even a couple degrees cooling can make them go to sleep. I was worried that if my controller was set to say 68, but vigorous fermentation made the temp rise to 72, then night falls and the temp drops back to 68 where the controller is set that this could make my yeasties unhappy and they might quit. Maybe no cause for concern but I wanted some input on what others have done and how it worked out. Thanks for the reply.

This might seem a bit silly but if you want it to free rise why use a ferm chamber at all?

Sent from the Commune

This might seem a bit silly but if you want it to free rise why use a ferm chamber at all?

Well I can't keep it in the garage(too cold), and inside my house we're burning our woodstove for heat. If I put it inside, I risk temps going way too warm(wife likes it reeeeallly toasty in the house). I just didn't want to risk getting hot fusel alcohol notes or overly "Belgiany" esters. Maybe there is an out of the way place that I could find inside that wouldn't get too warm... But, I'd really like to be able to have some repeatable control as I plan on doing more of these styles in the future. Just geeking out on the process I guess.

Back